Lt. Commander
Turn down Promotion, yep that's right, you don't Automatically Rank up and therefore don't receive skill points until you choose to. I just turned Captain and I don't want to Rank up to any level of Admiral for a very long time. Has anyone considered having a voluntary Cap option they can put on their characters?

I'm sure something like this has been discussed to an extent and I apologise for creating a new thread but it's difficult to pin point any single thread where this is being discussed within context.

As a Legend once said "Don't! Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do *anything* that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." James T Kirk (Star Trek Generations)

Oh and one other thing, if somehow the above could be implemented then how's this for the skill points you gain but don't use, you trade them for dilithium, cryptic points, energy credits or Lattinum.

Hows that for a STO'ck Market

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Sigh. Yes. As I've said before, I think level should have been grouped by year.

Ie. 2404 (Level 1). When you hit level 10, you are told it's 2405.

Ranks should be optional titles that unlock each "year" or so of game time. A year flies by every few hours while leveling.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Sigh. Yes. As I've said before, I think level should have been grouped by year.

Ie. 2404 (Level 1). When you hit level 10, you are told it's 2405.

Ranks should be optional titles that unlock each "year" or so of game time. A year flies by every few hours while leveling.
There is actually a reason why the game has one set year and so this system wouldn't work. One of the reason's they let us choose a title is because a lot of people don't want to be an Admiral. But I think this is another case of game mechanics trumping, um, reality.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
I agree with the OP (and have said so on previous threads, one of which I started).
It would also mean you don't get pushed out of the ship(s) you prefer, just because they're no longer adequate to the foes spawned for you at your new level.

Don't want to see Tier 5 Connies, original or refit? Fine! Let me stay at Tier 2 forever, if I want! IMO, the higher levels don't have that much to recommend them... it's mostly just the same grind.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Rift actually added an option like this in the settings, to freeze the xp you earn. However, I'd rather hit max level to enjoy endgame content. What is there to do stuck at lvl 30-39? The only viable option would be to choose "Captain" as your title and 4 pips as your rank, then tie one of those options to what the npc's call you.

In reality, traditionally the person in command of a ship is referred to as Captain regardless of rank.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
I think replacing <rank> with <title> would be a good idea. That way you can be called whatever you want by the NPCs. But for the sake of tracking your in-game progress, What we have may be the best we can ask for.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Progress tracked by level number. Remove all references to rank on UI. Wear Rank Pips and/or title of your choosing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
There is actually a reason why the game has one set year and so this system wouldn't work. One of the reason's they let us choose a title is because a lot of people don't want to be an Admiral. But I think this is another case of game mechanics trumping, um, reality.
Did a California birdie whisper that reason to you? It's one of those things I've always been dying to know and I've never seen directly addressed by a dev.

It's an inevitability of MMOs that sequential events and time progress through leveling. The person who is level 1 is going to be "in the past" of the person who is level 50. I don't see why we don't just codify that in a way that makes the game's progression more interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus92 View Post
What is there to do stuck at lvl 30-39?
What is there to do at 50, other than grind dailies and STFs until you want to shoot yourself in the head?

The Duty Officer system, I note, can be enjoyed at any level above LT 8. And there's the Foundry, of course.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Did a California birdie whisper that reason to you? It's one of those things I've always been dying to know and I've never seen directly addressed by a dev.
Not directly, no. But I inferred it based on the birdie's whisper on another subject.