Lt. Commander
Seriously, I hope something is being done about this, or it's some short term performance tweaking because it's a little ridiculous for the game to be going down every single day.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Probably due to the influx of new players this week and server load. An easy way to make sure there aren't any issues that majorly bork the servers, is to just restart them each day. I'm sure its not something they will keep up past this week.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Bad code.

Really, that's what it comes down to. Good code doesn't require you to restart your OS every day. Great code doesn't require periodic OS restarts at all. Somebody at Cryptic, apparently, doesn't know how to release their pointers properly.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexiom
Bad code.

Really, that's what it comes down to. Good code doesn't require you to restart your OS every day.
Have you met Windows :p

Seriously though, your answer is a bit simplistic, the real answer is probably a lot more complex. No evidence points to "bad code" at this point in time, the software driving the servers is probably working just as it is coded to.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
Have you met Windows :p
If they are actually running their servers on Windows and x86 hardware, that would certainly be their first problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
Seriously though, your answer is a bit simplistic, the real answer is probably a lot more complex.
No, probably not. Constant server reboots pretty much point to a memory leak.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-20-2012, 10:39 PM
The little mouse has to go to the toilet and get something to eat before he jumps back on the wheel.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-20-2012, 10:51 PM
i would like an explanation too

i am getting real angry over here and i don't know how long i can hold the full flaming mode back
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-20-2012, 11:05 PM
I would guess that they are doing some internal patching, which requires a restart.
Kinda like, "In order for the install to take effect, a restart is needed. Restart now? [yes, restart now] [no, I'll restart later]"

But just guessing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBANG View Post
i would like an explanation too

i am getting real angry over here and i don't know how long i can hold the full flaming mode back
lol seriously, some people need to step away from the computer and take a break outside for a little bit
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Servers are basically suped up PC's so if they do anything that updates core OS software they would need to restart the computer. Occasionally a restart will flush PRAM and VRAM as well as free threads so the system will run faster. (but i'm not a diehard PC guy so don't quote me on the latter).
Closed Thread