Lt. Commander
# 11
01-20-2012, 11:30 PM
I noticed a Code 2 days ago where Melee Weapons were nerfed at least 4 DPS. when I checked today Melee Weapons got those 4 DPS back. I was happy.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Software is software, its man made, it breaks, no piece of software is perfect.

The restarts though, may not be related to that, could simply be a preventive measure.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Well... to say it in a simple way bad code. There is an (probably several) issue (memory leaks or whatever) which probably existed since a very long time (maybe unnoticed). Up until now there were not enough players for it to become a problem or to notice it.

Now you have a lot more players and the amount of errors exploded. Until they find a way to fix it they have two possibilities.

1) Keep it running until it crashes. Bad really bad idea. As the Devs sometimes say "bad things may happen". This can be horrible lag or in the worst case major data loss.

2) Restart the server every day and keep the problems in check. Annoying yes but the lesser of two evils.

Trust me I'm from Europe too and everything but happy about it. And yes you can argue it is a sign of bad programming.

But I prefer a positive view... it means there is a huge influx of new players.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
lol seriously, some people need to step away from the computer and take a break outside for a little bit
You have to understand that some people haven't really been able to play at all during the last 2 weeks. If you have few hours to play every evening after the work it doesn't help that 50%-100% of that is cut because of yet another restart/maintenance/patch. And we are talking about paying customers.

Some info about if this is going to be permanent would be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
Probably due to the influx of new players this week and server load. An easy way to make sure there aren't any issues that majorly bork the servers, is to just restart them each day. I'm sure its not something they will keep up past this week.
A simple server reset doesn't take, between 1 and 2 hours surely...lol
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-21-2012, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexiom
Bad code.

Really, that's what it comes down to. Good code doesn't require you to restart your OS every day. Great code doesn't require periodic OS restarts at all. Somebody at Cryptic, apparently, doesn't know how to release their pointers properly.
yeah thats why we had also daily resets while P2P....
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-21-2012, 05:15 AM
The answer to this topic is : photonic fleas
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-21-2012, 05:19 AM
I have ironing that you can do. Please don't whine while you do it either. :p
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampir888 View Post
This can be horrible lag or in the worst case major data loss.
You have to be an idiot to achieve. Last week I had a failed RAID1 array .. sadly enough (stressful for me) both HDD's decided to die at same time of different reasons. But my client lost 0 bytes of data.

You know what they say? There is always one backup to less.

I suffer from not testing backups often, but I keep three of em for each of my clients. Even if the house burns down they still have data stored in safe location.

In terms of game servers, should you run the server software (daemon) on the same server as the database well I'd say that would extend to some serious problems (read: DOWNTIMES) should something bad happen.

It's just the way of planning things.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-21-2012, 07:37 AM
You are kidding yourselves if you think the new Cryptic is actually going to say anything to address the obvious issue going on. It's dilithium conversion 2.0!
Closed Thread