Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Hey guys, I am currently running STO on an older Acer computer and my FPS sucks my game play is chunky and thats with all visualls and detail off and running at max speed no performance. But with my tax return doon to arrive I want to upgrade to a desk top that runs STO super smooth and allows for a ton of the graphics I never get to enjoy. Can anyone suggest a link to a package possibly $1000 or less? ThAnK YoU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! :
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Everyone else in this thread is doing to make this too difficult for you because they want to show off how leet they are with computers.

Go to Best Buy. Buy the cheapest desktop. It will be at least a quad core with 8 gigs of ram. I know this for a fact because I just did this.

Buy a $99 video card.

Done. Max settings. No sweat.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-21-2012, 08:25 AM
but will that run the game smoothly and with a fast fps? what other accesories do i need? isnt there just a packae i can get?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthian
Go to Best Buy. Buy the cheapest desktop. It will be at least a quad core with 8 gigs of ram. I know this for a fact because I just did this.
Warning: Most Best Buy locations carry Gateway and eMachines. Most of these are single core with 1-2 gigs of ram, dual with 4 at the outside. Most of them don't even have PCIE slots, so a good video card isn't even a possible upgrade.

Quad core with 8 gigs is far from the cheapest desktop you'll find at a typical box store.

Also, most $100 video cards are trash. Exception: Go on Tigerdirect and get a Galaxy card, you can get top end nVidia chipsets for as low as $100, but Galaxy cards use slower memory than stock nVidia cards and even though the chipset is top of the line, they can't move data fast enough to crank STO to the maximum with a smooth frame rate.

A quad core with 8 gigs of RAM and a 500 series will do it under $1000, but don't expect to go to Best Buy and get the cheapest box they have and a $100 card to do that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Go here. Pick one of the "High Performance" computers and run STO with settings set pretty high. Focus more attention to the total RAM and the Graphics card. If you have over 8GB of RAM, the harddrive speed is not going to matter. And your video card will do most of the heavy lifting when you are playing. The CPU will only govern how many programs you can run at the same time and all of these computers come with a CPU of sufficient size anyway. DO NOT get all that other crap. Don't buy Norton; just download Microsoft Security Essentials.

You will be able to get a very nice rig for less than $1,000. My gaming rig is an HPE-210y that I have upgraded. Runs STO with little effort.
Lt. Commander
# 6 capt Bob?
01-21-2012, 09:04 AM
I am on the hp site is 8gb ok and what hard drive, processor, video card, power supply and network card? sorry bro i am a noob at this.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-21-2012, 09:32 AM
8GB is plenty. You can always go up to 16GB later. For the CPU, just go with the default. Same with the harddrive. Neither of these are going to make much difference with STO. STO is just not that heavy.

For the video card, go with the largest one you can and keep you under budget. Also, go with the larger power supply.

Things to keep in mind: AMD is cheaper. Norton is a resource hog; MSE does the same thing but barely affects the system when it is running. This is a base configuration for what you have asked for, a gaming rig for under $1,000. THERE ARE BETTER SYSTEMS OUT THERE. But you are going to pay for every increase in FPS. The following setup will get you ~60FPS at medium high in STO.

HPE H8m
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
AMD FX-6100 six-core processor [3.3GHz, 6MB L2/8MB L3 Cache]
8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
500GB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
No additional office software
Norton Internet Security(TM) 2012 - 15 month (Remove this the moment you get the system!!!)
1GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti [2 DVI, mini-HDMI. VGA adapter]
600W Power supply

Another site you can try is http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/. In particular, this one is a great option and is under your budget enough that you could get a decent monitor to go with it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Go here:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ or http://www.ibuypower.com/

Pick parts that take you up to $1000.

Shoot for at least a dual core, faster the better. (Four cores will just give you more heat and STO can't use more than two. Not saying to avoid a quad core but speed is more important than cores.)

Go for at least 4g of RAM.

Get a video card with the most RAM available. Cryptic products support nVidia better.

Here we go:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1DVNVN

Might have minor issues at max settings. Should be super-safe and cool running. I picked every service for cooling or better cooling compounds and safe running. Should be okay to overclock but I opted to avoid liquid cooling for simplicity's sake. If you use Google, there's probably a coupon code out there.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Box brands like HP, Dell, etc are all extremely overpriced. They use the cheapest parts, and charge way too much. (the only thing companies like HP manufactures is the casing with their name on it) I'm not saying that they are total crap, but just extremely overpriced.

I have a shop and could easily build a much better computer, using only the highest quality components, with twice the power than those store brands, and it would even look better.

For less than 1000 bucks, you could have a beast of a computer custom built for you. I would suggest you look for a local shop for the best bang per buck. If there aren't any in your area, I'd be glad to assist. Shoot me a private message if you need any advice or assistance. I usually work locally, but I have built systems for many of my fleetmates and shipped to them just to save them some cash.

Edit: The post above by Leviathan99 isn't a bad computer, but for 1000 bucks, it should include a monitor and a much better graphics card.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromgold View Post
Box brands like HP, Dell, etc are all extremely overpriced. They use the cheapest parts, and charge way too much. (the only thing companies like HP manufactures is the casing with their name on it) I'm not saying that they are total crap, but just extremely overpriced.
I'll agree to that. Boxed brands like HP and Dell are really the idiots way to computing. Compare the number of options you get at HP and Dell compared to the number of options you get a Cyberpower. For non-nerds, the HP/Dell option is less intimidating. If you are nerd and knows what you are doing, you should never buy a named brand.

What I like about Cyberpower is they also have builds that have already been tested. The one I included in my previous post will run CoD:MW2 set to Ultra at ~100FPS. That should be more than enough to handle STO and still leaves some room for a monitor in the $1,000 budget.