Lt. Commander
# 1 A Travesty
01-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Recently I found myself needing to look up some Trek related info and went to the trusty sorce of Memory Alpha, there to my shock, the the back screen is one big advert for TOR!!! Now I know its a open source wiki, and being a wiki it is payed for by advertising, usually related in some form to to the subject of the wiki.(both being sci-fi) I usually don't get involved in SW v ST, i watch and enjoy both for different resins.

My question to the Trek community, can we do anything about it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Butters
Recently I found myself needing to look up some Trek related info and went to the trusty sorce of Memory Alpha, there to my shock, the the back screen is one big advert for TOR!!! Now I know its a open source wiki, and being a wiki it is payed for by advertising, usually related in some form to to the subject of the wiki.(both being sci-fi) I usually don't get involved in SW v ST, i watch and enjoy both for different resins.

Memory Alpha is actually on the wikia network which (if memory serves me) places the advertisements, so there might not be anything that can be done sadly
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-21-2012, 10:31 AM
I run Firefox as my browser. Install Addblock, tor adds go bye bye.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Butters
You mean like accept it as another form of entertainment, not squabble with our brethren, and move on to be happier people?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Go to the advertising agency in charge of it (Google?) and run a TOR slander advert, telling all who view it that TOR robbed WoW, aborted SWG and runs on the blood of newborn kittens! If just it gets the same level of exposure on Memory Alpha...

That'll restore balance to the force.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Memory Alpha is actually on the wikia network which (if memory serves me) places the advertisements, so there might not be anything that can be done sadly
Lamentable, but correct. I know the City of Heroes community used to host their official fan wiki there, but pulled stakes when Wikia started showing ads for gold farming sites ion their wiki, with no recourse. No there is the mostly-unused Wikia site (which normally gets higher billing on Google searches) and the official fan wiki hosted elsewhere. it really caused (and continues to cause) issues for that community.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-21-2012, 12:11 PM
lol companies gotta make money too.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-21-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm a web developer, trust me it is not a big deal. It is just an advertisement it doesn't brainwash people.

If someone see's it and is interested then goes to play swtor they would have eventually gone anyway I reckon.

If your gripe is swtor content showing among sto content, you should maybe know there is a thread in this forum that has been there for a long time saying STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC plus Cryptic put a little Yoda looking character in Q's winter wonderland.

Really, it is no big deal I wouldn't lose sleep over it folks.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-22-2012, 06:11 AM
yeah. boom.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
You mean like accept it as another form of entertainment, not squabble with our brethren, and move on to be happier people?
You truely are a rare breed of bird hort.....you eat logic for breakfast.