Lt. Commander
# 21
01-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
BTW, this is the last podcast I can find from Captain Logan:

http://thequantumcafe.com/priorityon...ing-capt-logan

Is this the one with the quote that says the Ambassador is done?
So, I just heard the part from this podcast that talks about the Ambassador(around 46:45) and he definitely did not say it was done. He said that a ship takes at least 8 days to model and that we should expect it "soon", but that was back in July and Dstahl was still EP, so who knows.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I seem to recall a tweet by CapnLogan stating that the Ambassador was done. It's probably just waiting to be released at the appropriate time: possibly as some sort of event or promotion later in the year.
Sorry, I don't buy that they are "just waiting to be released at the appropriate time." It's been getting delayed for over a year now with no appropriate explanation or justification.

That being said, I will give Cryptic a grace period, in which I don't complain about the lack of ships. I believe the reason why they aren't releasing the Ambassador and others at this point is because they are dedicating most of their resources to creating KDF episodes and new ships such as the Enterprise E and KDF super negh'var flagship. I will at least give them credit for that. However, once about 1-2 weeks have gone by after the KDF flagship is released, my complainer muzzle comes off. We've been waiting for the Ambassador Enterprise C, Andorian Battlecruiser, and the D'Kora class marauder for far too long. For pete's sake, get them in the game already!

Quote:
So, I just heard the part from this podcast that talks about the Ambassador(around 46:45) and he definitely did not say it was done. He said that a ship takes at least 8 days to model and that we should expect it "soon", but that was back in July and Dstahl was still EP, so who knows.
Hmmm. You seem to have proven my point about Cryptic offering no appropriate explanation or justification for the delay on the ambassador.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
I believe the reason why they aren't releasing the Ambassador and others at this point is because they are dedicating most of their resources to creating KDF episodes...
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...90#post3956190
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:
BTW, this is the last podcast I can find from Captain Logan:

http://thequantumcafe.com/priorityon...ing-capt-logan

Is this the one with the quote that says the Ambassador is done?
There was a more recent interview with CaptainLogan and ThomasTheCrypticCat
http://thequantumcafe.com/priorityon...pyard-briefing

I was one of the (uncredited) people who asked about the Ambassador Class for that podcast, so I listened quite intently to their responses. What was said, essentially, was that they "want" to add lots more ships to the game after they're finished with the aftermath from F2P.

I am a big fan of the Ambassador Class (TV versions) and I consider it my "main issue". So I do pay attention to every announcement and coming-soon list.

What we have been told "for over a year" is that the Ambassador Class has been listed as "In Design Discussions" from November 2010, until August 2011 when the Engineering Reports stopped. That phrase has been explained to mean that "they've kicked the idea around in the office and it's something they'd like to do at some point".

Devs previously have stated that they would LIKE to release the Ambassador Class for free, as a reward that the players could somehow unlock, quite possibly by Cryptic offering a Featured Episode series concerning the Romulans and "What ever happened to the Enterprise C?".

I believe (pure supposition) it was originally being considered to be located in "The Vault", but internal schedules may have made it impractical to get the model and art and all the balance and backend stuff done in time for the FE to be released.

In July 2011, DStahl began framing the Ambassador Class in much more "likely" terms. The Amby was listed as intended for an "upcoming Season 4 update", and then a month later was simply characterized as "before Season 5".

Then came the sale of Cryptic to Perfect World, the change of Executive Producer, and some general churn with the staff. Very quickly thereafter, the focus of everyone at Cryptic became "relaunching STO as Free to Play". Free to Play, and all that came with it, became the new Season 5, and whatever was slated to be Season 5 before the sale.. well it would probably be reevaluated to determine how much of it can become Season 6.

So at this point where does the Ambassador Class stand? in short, it's in limbo. It's the only Canon ship named "Enterprise" that hasn't made it into the game. The Amby is both a wildly popular, and simultaneously wildly unpopular ship, with the fans split down the middle on the the side of either loving it or hating it. Yet the Oberth managed to make it into the game, despite it's almost universally laughed-at reputation.

The Devs have said (in the latest interview I heard) that they really do want to add more ships. Both Canon and completely new designs. And from a F2P standpoint, having more varied, desirable ships in the CStore makes good business sense.

Will the Ambassador still come out "for free" in that FE series that the devs suggested? I'm guessing not. At the time that was suggested, Cryptic was toying with the idea of per-character ship unlocks via ingame methods (see the Delta Flyer crafting mission), with account-wide unlocks being granted only via the C-Store. Now they seem to be abandoning those ingame "earn it for one character" methods in favor of "just go grind some dilithium and sell it for CP". Is there still hope for the FE unlock? Sure. It sounds like the Devs plan something like that for the Enterprise F.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
What did you mean by 1 episode? You mean one feature episode which is a series of 4 or 5 missions or 1 episode as in one mission?

Edit: Oops I had misread STO wiki. A series is 4 or 5 single feature episodes packed into one. I erroneously thought 1 Feature episode implied an entire series. Sigh, well, with 1 Klingon episode mission and the DS9 episode series coming out in Feb, I'm not too impressed with Cryptic. Goes back to cynical corner with the Grand Nagus and Roach.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Sadly all we can do is wait at this point. I would like this ship my self as I really like the look of it, a great mix TMP and TNG.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
What did you mean by 1 episode? You mean one feature episode which is a series of 4 or 5 missions or 1 episode as in one mission?
1 mission, unfortunately.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
I am a big fan of the Ambassador Class (TV versions) and I consider it my "main issue". So I do pay attention to every announcement and coming-soon list.
I've also been following this and do not recall ever hearing them say it was actually done and just waiting to be released, like Sekrit_Agent claims. Thats why I was interested in reading one of his "too many to count" statements, but apparently there are none.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
1 mission, unfortunately.
Q_Q. I figured it out myself. Read my edit above to understand why. Yup, we're just going to have to be extremely patient. Frankly, I'm extremely disappointed that the only thing the Klings are getting is 1 mission. Why would you release a flagship with such little Klingon mission content to show for?
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Q_Q. I figured it out myself. Read my edit above to understand why. Yup, we're just going to have to be extremely patient. Frankly, I'm extremely disappointed that the only thing the Klings are getting is 1 mission. Why would you release a flagship with such little Klingon mission content to show for?
I'm guessing because they want it to appear(key word) fair by having both a Fed and KDF hero ship.