Lt. Commander
# 131
03-22-2012, 07:26 AM
I am not sure what to do guys to get Cryptic's response I have tried to post in other threads saying to them hey you need to check out this thread. I keep seeing other threads being created that are related to this issue. I told them to post in here so we are only passing the information once, It would be nice if Cryptic would respond again to this thread. I have been asking since post 104 for Cryptic to respond. I am annoyed that the silly DEV icon appears next to this thread. I think the DEV's are seeing it and I think they think they have helped us so they are avoiding this topic for that reason but we have yet to have an update or a resolution to this issue!
Lt. Commander
# 132
03-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaLlama2010
.... I think the DEV's are seeing it and I think they think they have helped us so they are avoiding this topic for that reason but we have yet to have an update or a resolution to this issue!
It could very well be that they can't reliably reproduce the issue... (I've never had this problem...) And can't fix a problem that can't be reproduced...
Lt. Commander
It may be time to get drastic with this issue and try anything and *everything*, even if it doesn't seem like there's any way it could be related to the problem. Let's break down the facts:

- You can play STO just fine on your older computer, but your virtually new machine keeps crashing with decompression errors. This would tend to indicate that your ISP/modem/wireless router is *not* the issue.
- Many others are having the exact same issue. So, it is *not* something specific to your computer, but more likely something your computer has in common with all the other computers having the same issue.

Given these two facts it could be logical to assume one of two things might be causing the problem:

1) An operating system setting and/or hardware setting may be causing the problem. Things to check:

A) Try altering the size of your virtual memory (AKA "Paging File"). Add another 1024 MB to it's size and
see what happens.
B) Check to make sure your Data Execution Prevention (or DEP) is set to *only* check Windows files
and not set to check everything.
C) Go into your system's BIOS and see if the CPU is overclocked. If it is OC'ed then turn it off.
D) Also check to see if your GPU is OC'ed. If it is turn it off.
E) -OR- if your motherboard has an integrated GPU (most, if not all, MB's do have these), go into the
BIOS and set the computer to run off of the integrated GPU (yes, it will run like ka-ka and you will
have to turn down all your graphics settings, but we can rule out the GPU as the problem this way).
Trying this can be a bit tricky, as in some instances you must actually *remove* the add-in card from
the computer itself. Just be careful, and *don't* do it if you aren't comfortable with manipulating the
hardware inside your tower or worried about voiding your warranty.

(Concerning "E", your add-in GPU may not have an actual "problem" but could still be
conflicting with something in STO's software.)

F) Go Control Panel -> Security. If you have AV installed then make sure Windows Defender is turned
off. From the same area go to Internet Options and check the security levels there. If they're set too
high turn them down and see what happens.

2) A piece of non-essential, manufacterer installed software may be causing the problem: It is entirely possible a program that is non-standard to Windows but commonly installed by manufacterer's is junking up the works.

To check this you will have to uninstall *all* of the non-Windows software...strip it down to the bare bones. Go to Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program and look over the list. Things to get rid of (including but not limited to): Internet browser toolbars, VLC viewers, I-Tunes, Quick Books, Picasa, or any other 3rd-party software that even *remotely* has anything to do with internet usage.

Also look at utility software that is brand-specific. For instance: my HP came loaded with HP Advisor and HP Support Assistant. I found the software to be irritatingly disruptive. It would close down a game I was playing without warning to run their system checks and other nonsense. Get rid of anything like that.

Once again, my usual disclaimer: None of this is guaranteed to work. In fact, it's kind of like putting on a blindfold and taking shotgun blasts at a target that lies in an unknown direction, but at this point what do you have to lose?

Good luck

PS: My apologies if I'm suggesting something you've already tried. I didn't really want to read the *entire* thread over again.
Lt. Commander
# 134
03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkillerjayne
Given these two facts it could be logical to assume one of two things might be causing the problem:

1) An operating system setting and/or hardware setting may be causing the problem. Things to check:

A) Try altering the size of your virtual memory (AKA "Paging File"). Add another 1024 MB to it's size and see what happens.
Already increased from 8GB to 12GB paging file. Didn't fix it. Doubt an extra 1GB will do much? But anything's worth a try...

Quote:
B) Check to make sure your Data Execution Prevention (or DEP) is set to *only* check Windows files and not set to check everything.
Checked. Was set to windows / system files only, by default.

Quote:
C) Go into your system's BIOS and see if the CPU is overclocked. If it is OC'ed then turn it off.
D) Also check to see if your GPU is OC'ed. If it is turn it off.
Single A8-3800 APU chip contains both CPU + GPU. The BIOS only shows performance settings of "Power Saving," "Normal" & "Performance." Was set to "Power Saving" by default from the factory. Was crashing. Set it to "Normal." Was still crashing afterwards... Doubt it's that. Haven't ever set it to "Performance." Don't know if that equates to 'OC' or not.

Quote:
E) -OR- if your motherboard has an integrated GPU (most, if not all, MB's do have these), go into the BIOS and set the computer to run off of the integrated GPU (yes, it will run like ka-ka and you will have to turn down all your graphics settings, but we can rule out the GPU as the problem this way). Trying this can be a bit tricky, as in some instances you must actually *remove* the add-in card from the computer itself. Just be careful, and *don't* do it if you aren't comfortable with manipulating the hardware inside your tower or worried about voiding your warranty. (Concerning "E", your add-in GPU may not have an actual "problem" but could still be conflicting with something in STO's software.)
See prior. There is no add-in board. Just the GPU integrated in to the AMD A8-3800 APU chip. Assume if it were ever disabled there would be NO video. When the software isn't crashing on a decompression error, it has no problem crunching graphics on moderate settings for hours on end. It just seems to be the "decompression error" (generally remedied temporarily by deleting HOGGs) that is the game-stopper.

Quote:
F) Go Control Panel -> Security. If you have AV installed then make sure Windows Defender is turned off. From the same area go to Internet Options and check the security levels there. If they're set too high turn them down and see what happens.
Seems Windows Defender was turned on by default but not reporting itself as an anti-virus (system was claiming no anti-virus / security software installed). I've NOW disabled it. A while back totally uninstalled the Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security. So, now there should be nothing anti-virus-y on the system anymore. Firewall is turned off too. So, hopefully nothing blocking ports or programs? Will let you know how it goes & if crashes come back after D/L'ing patches again.

Quote:
2) A piece of non-essential, manufacterer installed software may be causing the problem: It is entirely possible a program that is non-standard to Windows but commonly installed by manufacterer's is junking up the works.

To check this you will have to uninstall *all* of the non-Windows software...strip it down to the bare bones. Go to Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program and look over the list. Things to get rid of (including but not limited to): Internet browser toolbars, VLC viewers, I-Tunes, Quick Books, Picasa, or any other 3rd-party software that even *remotely* has anything to do with internet usage.

Also look at utility software that is brand-specific. For instance: my HP came loaded with HP Advisor and HP Support Assistant. I found the software to be irritatingly disruptive. It would close down a game I was playing without warning to run their system checks and other nonsense. Get rid of anything like that.

Once again, my usual disclaimer: None of this is guaranteed to work. In fact, it's kind of like putting on a blindfold and taking shotgun blasts at a target that lies in an unknown direction, but at this point what do you have to lose?

Good luck

PS: My apologies if I'm suggesting something you've already tried. I didn't really want to read the *entire* thread over again.
Not big on randomly uninstalling programs my friend may want later with no guarantees that any of them are the issue (for instance if it's a bad RAM chip, which is becoming a suspect of late if only because all the OS / software fixes seem to be coming up empty thus far).

If I wasn't worried about voiding ASUS' warranty, in case some part DOES legitimately and obviously fail and need warranty service, I'd just tear open the machine, unplug and replug everything and maybe switch out the memory chips to test that (if I had any spares lying around of newer vintage; which I don't as yet).

Tempted to have friend take it down to Best Buy and see if they'll test the memory for free or cheaply since they sold him the unit and it's been having problems pretty much since inception. So, I'm curious...

~MG
Lt. Commander
# 135
03-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Okay seriously WTF are we all missing??

Will all the different people and our varying years of experience we should have figured this out by now so there has to be something we're missing.

I consistently beat the **** out of my computer with the extremely high load programs I run and the fact the poor thing really should be water cooled so if anyone should be getting a problem like this it should be me.

The only thing I can think of that is different on my system other than it's a custom built is that I have a card instead of integrated graphics which this isn't an integrated only issue so that rules that out.

I originally had to download a hotfix from Microsoft for the HDMI because of a compatibly issue they found with windows 7. It wasn't a specific issue with anyone specific program or game.

I have The full k-lite mega media codec pack installed and that has some different compression/decompression protocols with it.

DEC is totally disabled "not just put on lowest setting"

AVG anti-virus is in game mode and verified all firewall settings correct.

Those are really the only things I can think of that are specifically different with my computer other than hardware diffrences. Maybe that'll help spark some new ideas about a possible cause as to why people are having this problem.
Lt. Commander
# 136
03-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
It could very well be that they can't reliably reproduce the issue... (I've never had this problem...) And can't fix a problem that can't be reproduced...
Well if Cryptic wants to pay my gas they can borrow my desktop to re create the issue! They can pay the gas so I can see that they are going to fix it! Now will that happen.....NO.......But its a nice dream, right?
Lt. Commander
# 137
03-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Doesn't seem like they care. Have they finally fixed the database crashes at least?
Lt. Commander
# 138
04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
AVG anti-virus is in game mode and verified all firewall settings correct.
Is Windows Defender or MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) installed? If so, is it running / enabled (especially W.D.)? I had to actually go into the program and/or read some system security logs in Administrative Tools -> Event Logs recently to find out it was still enabled (had been enabled since computer was first turned on / configured; apparently by default w/Win7 & maybe Vista). It was being... Sneaky. (No icon in task bar, no pop-ups & I must've missed it in Services somehow, though I swear I'd checked for such things? If not, uhh, oops!)

To disable it (Windows Defender) I had to actually open W.D. go into the options (settings?), I think, and where it said something like 'use this program' tell it 'don't use this program' to disable it. Then restarted and re-patched.

Still waiting to hear whether or not it's actually crashed since then. A couple days ago it had been a couple days since the last crash. But, that could be a red herring if there's some obscure/specific texture(s) that are corrupted on the latest download that might be hiding out until he randomly runs across them in some particular mission or another? We'll give it a little while (I half-jokingly told him to play it 24-7 for the next week on as many missions as possible to test it). I'm sure we'll be back if it still acts out after disable W.D. ...

So, Drama... How goes it? Has it crashed at all in the last few days since I disabled W.D. (Wed, Mar 28)? I know on Sunday you said it hadn't crashed recently. Any update? Been playing much?

Thinking out loud, I wonder... If it *is* Windows Defender, would installing MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials, basically the 'new' version of Windows Defender) resolve the issue? If maybe WD is an outdated conflicting product? Hmm... A bit out-of-left-field. Probably not the solution, but I guess we'll wait and see whether disabling W.D. has any impact on stability first (no guarantees of THAT even; guess I'm just being optimistic since it went like 3-4 days w/o crash, which is bordering on a victory, since it's been crashing about every day or every other day).

Googling around a bit, it seems W.D. is an anti-spyware / anti-adware program whereas MSE is an anti-virus / anti-malware / anti-spyware / andti-adware (extending / improving on the functionality of W.D. If MSE is installed, it disables W.D. by default. Come to think of it, I think MSE is installed on my laptop / desktop and maybe on Drama's "old" desktop? I'll have to check. So, this MIGHT be a viable explanation, assuming it doesn't start hitting random decompression errors even now that W.D. is for sure disabled? Still just thinking out loud until something more definite comes along...)

Come to think of it, still need(ed) to test the theory of pulling the .HOGG files after a non-micro patch from the "other"/"working" machine via flash drive and copying them to the "crashing" machine to see if that remedies the issue at least until the next patch on the "crashing" machine? But, that's a different issue...

~MG
Lt. Commander
# 139
04-09-2012, 07:10 AM
I have playing but due to scheduling conflicts I am only able to play an hour or so every night I wish I had more time but so far I am happy to report that my issue seems to be resolved with turning off the windows defender. Anyone else still having this issue?
Lt. Commander
# 140
04-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaLlama2010
I have playing but due to scheduling conflicts I am only able to play an hour or so every night I wish I had more time but so far I am happy to report that my issue seems to be resolved with turning off the windows defender. Anyone else still having this issue?
Yeah, unfortunately, you are...

At least it went several days w/o crashing. That's a plus! But it probably just fragged some really random obscure textures you weren't likely to run into very often? Dunno. Sorry to hear it crashed as of the last time I visited. So, I guess Defender wasn't the issue, in toto, if at all? Coulda' been just 'cause ya' didn't play much for a few days& so didn't have a chance to randomly run across a bad texture.

I guess next is trying hopping .HOGG files over manually from the "good"/"old" computer to the "bad"/"new" computer and see if that resolves the issue (assuming there aren't any major patches directly after hopping the .HOGG files over, which would make you download new .HOGG files immediately).

That or getting some DVD-R's to burn the reinstall discs and nuke the entire system (drastic "last ditch" effort).

And possibly running it over to Best Buy to see if they'll test the memory for you to see whether it's bad.

Barring that, not sure what else to try. I suppose we could try a different CAT 5e cable or a different port on the FiOS box just to make sure it's not a local network / cabling issue. Though, one would think the system would throw out bad network / internet packets if packets weren't coming through correctly? You ever find that long network cable I got you a few years back? Or is that still lost in storage?

Slowly running out of ideas/options.

Would be nice if a dev or someone would comment on the thread with ideas... Especially if they've ever run into the issue before. I know on another thread they said they were "aware" of the issue. Don't know if that translates to "working on it" or "heard of it, but have no idea what causes it"...

~MG