Lt. Commander
# 51
02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingmyst
I figured it out guys!!!!!

What you have to do is this. Open your STO folder location, open the live folder. For win7 is this

c:\users\public\games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs

Delete all the Texture.hogg files

Then make sure your AV is either disabled or you have set an exception for STO in it and set STO Launcher to force verify and then patch.

Fixed the issue right away for me!!!
Once I patch the 6371MB patch do I need to reboot the computer prior to playing? I am patching now man I hope this works. (Cross Fingers)
Lt. Commander
# 52 Same
02-21-2012, 07:18 PM
I have a similar issue. It is random texture filles. One day it is planet texture, another day it is uniform texture. I ran the force verify and didnt seem to help. The problem started whenl they had that patch that updated the graphics. Fortunately my issue only pops up occasionally and I havent resorted to deleting the texture files yet.
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Well I tried to delete hogg files and re patch to get new files but when I did this the server crashed last night I think my hogg files where currupted by that so I deleted them again and doing another force verify and patch this time the patch is not taking three hours to complete. I started the patch just as cryptic crashed last night I am hoping Risingmyst solution works for me as well. I will update you all when I have some results.

This is so annoying debating on taking a road trip with my desktop and going to cryptic and have them fix my desktop on the spot!.....LOL, sorry but I am annoyed if this does not work not sure what I am suppose to do. I want to play STO on this computer!
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
So tell me, have you really really checked everything???
Obviously not, since we're still experiencing technical difficulties... But, nobody can check EVERYthing the first time around. That's just a truism...

Troubleshooting is a step-by-step, iterative process. We're trying to eliminate as many possibilities as... possible.

Riddle me this, if it's a hardware issue, such as a bad HD, why would it ONLY manifest as texture decompression errors and not as more general errors? This seems strangely specific... Not saying it couldn't happen that a bad drive could manifest with a single file or specific type of file getting repeatedly corrupted. I'd just find it strangely suspicious that nothing else would be affected. No other programs crashing or developing glitches, etc. I know that's not a particularly scientific argument. Just saying, it seems strange that such a general type of error would manifest in such a specific way...

Anyway, I'm back over at my friend's, and I think we've actually got some writable CDs, so we can waste a couple on bootable diagnostic discs for memory / HD.

Best,
~MG
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
And did you check to see if all the cards and connections are firmly seated??? (And its best to unplug the machine and wait at least 10 seconds for the power to dissipate before doing this...) I've seen cards work loose during shipment to the home...
Are you asking whether those of us with new/warrantied potentially voided our warranties by opening the cases ourselves and mucking about on the insides?

Answer == no. For us anyway...

Though, if things weren't under warranty, I'd have no problem disassembling the whole bloody thing and reassembling it 'just to be sure.'

Best,
~MG
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STO123456789
Since yesterday I can not launch the game. I get to the launcher and then press launch, and it gets stuck on the cryptic part and then crashes and says fatal error: unable to initialize on-demand patching and connect to patch server: the connection was idle for to long. any ideas??? Game has run fine since launch and I have not changed any thing on my pc.
Other threads deal with this issue... Don't know if it's been fixed or not. But, let's not hijack THIS thread, which is a different issue. Sorry.

~MG
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Okay, well, I've posted it over to the showstoppers & critical issues thread. It was mention twice, but doesn't appear to have been resolved. At least by searching on the error message, unless I somehow missed a fix 'cause I used the wrong keywords. Didn't look like it had been addressed...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=854

~MG
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Just in case they're helpful, a couple recent log files:

~MG
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-23-2012, 09:19 PM
So, stupid question: if it *is* a corrupted .hogg file, can .hogg files be corrupted AFTER they've been downloaded, that is are they modified in any way during gameplay? Or would they be corrupted only during download and/or patching, but not during play; thus, erroring out is simply a matter of encountering the random texture(s) that have been corrupted at some random point or another? Or is it a problem with the decompression itself and NOT the .hogg file(s), in which case we'd have to look somewhere else for a solution than fixing .hogg files?

Just thinking vaguely outloud...

~MG
Lt. Commander
# 60
02-23-2012, 09:44 PM
From another thread:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...99&postcount=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCliff
As for your decompression issue, there's already an open issue internally for it. We know about it, but the patching system guys aren't big on forums. Try not to equate the lack of response with lack of work being done. Programmers are not community representatives or technical support people.
So, it sounds like they're aware of the issue and possibly working on it, despite not having responded to this thread...

A little response would be nice from someone @ Cryptic letting us know where things are at with fixing whatever the issue is... And merging the threads so far posted previously in this other post wouldn't hurt either:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...4&postcount=24

Best,
~MG