Lt. Commander
# 71
02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaserv View Post
Okay, after going through this post yet again, I'm thinking that this is still related to a bad .hogg file related to the basic Klingon model. I've seen countless issues like this, same error and everything, when folks deleted the bad .hogg file from their local install, repatched to get a good one, they were then able to get back into the game and all was well with the world.

I know you guys have been working on this issue for a while, but everything in my gut is telling me that's the problem.

Ensure that AV and Firewalls are disabled or uninstalled. Kill your .hogg files and repatch. You should then be able to get back online. Let me know how it goes. I promise to work on this till it's fixed.
Done that six times now! Every last step!

Now I am on the phone with best buy and trying to see if I can do a direct exchange to rule out its a bad software issue. I have tested the memory, graphics, processor and so much more. Now I am really annoyed and trying to see what they can do. I am not doing the geek squad thing. They say they can fix it for 200.00 (6 month membership fee) when I talked to the geek squad he has delt with similar issues but never from STO so he could not 100% say he could resolve it he was pretty sure he could! I do not want to send it back to the manufacturer since the computer is less than a month old! I do not want a refurbished device.
Lt. Commander
# 72
02-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaLlama2010
Done that six times now! Every last step!
Then there's something you're missing. It's been verified that the Klingon .hogg file is indeed damaged. I don't know what to tell you other than I'm sorry it's come to this for you? I wish you the best and I hope you're able to figure this out.
Lt. Commander
# 73
02-28-2012, 06:40 PM
My texture errors change almost every time. I am able to delete the all the hogg files force verify the launcher disable the on demand patching and play an episode or two before it crashes done this at multiple locations in game and in both factions! I am tired of repeating this step to play one or two missions at a time.

I called best buy they refuse to take it back but they say they can have the geek squad confirm its a software or hardware issue for free but they will not repair it either way without me buying their membership.
Lt. Commander
# 74
02-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Something just came to mind...

Instead of deleting the .hogg files, try renaming them, to like... klingon.old or something like that. Once you do that the software will not recognize those files and force a new download. Perhaps deleting them (moving them to the recycle bin) wasn't working for you as it should and the game client didn't download the files correctly like it should have?

I'm not really sure, but like all issues with computers, everyone's is different regardless of the symptoms. I'm guessing that renaming the files should do the trick or at least provide some insight to the whole issue anyhow. If you're up for it, that's what I'd try at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 75
03-01-2012, 02:03 AM
Okay, ran Hitachi Drive Fitness Test on both 500GB drives that came stock in the Asus CM1740-04 tower (not a single 1GB drive? weird, but, okay...).

No problems detected.

Installed latest Catalyst drivers 12.1 + patch for 12.2 w/game profiles.

Ran memtest86. Seemed to encounter a few errors in test 7 (moving blocks?). but, then again, the web site says that the test doesn't necessarily test just the memory, but may also test other system components, and thus may not necessarily indicate a memory module error specifically. Tests other than test 7 didn't return any errors that I saw. After about 4 iterations (I guess it runs forever if you don't interrupt it?), I stopped it. Doesn't appear to save a log file to post? Grand!

Anyway, a couple nights ago was getting constant crashes on a male short hair 02 texture. Deleted textures.hogg and repatched. No joy. Deleted textures2.hogg and repatched. No joy. Deleted textures3.hogg. Doesn't seem to be crashing on hair textures anymore. NOW it's crashing on kit textures instead.

Fix one problem, another one crops up. WTH? Seriously?

Is there some reason we have to download an ENTIRE 1GB HOGG file just to fix one or two textures that are corrupted? And why doesn't force verify actually seem to VERIFY the files and fix the corrupted ones? For that matter if a texture is corrupted (as male short hair 02 seemed to be a couple days ago), how does one know which of the 3 {!} 1GB HOGG files to delete and re-patch? Trial and error? If not, it basically means having to delete ALL 3 and patch a full 3GB of data to chase one small error and likely introduce others due to the huge download (again & again & again ad nauseum)...

Guess we'll see if the updated drivers (not sure whether it was an update or just reinstalling the existing AMD vision engine files, since its internal update button said there were no new updtes?) fix anything... Dubious, but anything's worth a shot if only to rule out the obvious...

~MG
Lt. Commander
# 76
03-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Okay, I just had another thought on this subject...

What version of DirectX are you using? You can find out by going to start, run, typing in "dxdiag" without the quotes and hitting enter. Once the dialog box opens up, go ahead and say no to Microsoft verification, however wait for the tests to complete and check to see what it says about the drivers. I'm suspect to think that your DirectX might be messed up to the point where it's causing issues like this for you, perhaps... It's just a thought and it's another avenue that we haven't explored yet, so it's worth a shot to take a look at.
Lt. Commander
# 77
03-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaserv View Post
Okay, I just had another thought on this subject...

What version of DirectX are you using? You can find out by going to start, run, typing in "dxdiag" without the quotes and hitting enter. Once the dialog box opens up, go ahead and say no to Microsoft verification, however wait for the tests to complete and check to see what it says about the drivers. I'm suspect to think that your DirectX might be messed up to the point where it's causing issues like this for you, perhaps... It's just a thought and it's another avenue that we haven't explored yet, so it's worth a shot to take a look at.
running Directx 11, I have two DxDiag's on the thread back on page one. My friend "MGmirkin" is trying to help me resolve my issue! I will ask him if he checked the directx for once I am not sure, he has been over at my house the last three nights in a row he took the night off of trying to help me which i do not blame him at all. I wish I could walk away from this issue for a night!
Lt. Commander
# 78
03-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Jay, you say you have 2x 500GB hdd, are they in raid or do you see multiple drives in Windows Explorer?

If its not raid, try installing the game on the drive that doesn't have the OS on it?
Lt. Commander
# 79
03-02-2012, 08:28 AM
didnt read whole thread ... and all this noise at beggining about antivirus... but here is my 2 cent

it is possible that antivirus is currupting data on load stage, files on hdd are fine, but data loaded is not same due to antivirus, was happaning a lot time ago, and im pretty sure they corrected this issues in most antivirus software .. but have you tried playing game with antivirus turned off or just patched it that way. im not running any antivirus software for years now. and i didnt encountered such problem on my pc so far and im playing both fed. and klingon characters.
Lt. Commander
# 80
03-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger.bg View Post
didnt read whole thread ... and all this noise at beggining about antivirus... but here is my 2 cent

it is possible that antivirus is currupting data on load stage, files on hdd are fine, but data loaded is not same due to antivirus, was happaning a lot time ago, and im pretty sure they corrected this issues in most antivirus software .. but have you tried playing game with antivirus turned off or just patched it that way. im not running any antivirus software for years now. and i didnt encountered such problem on my pc so far and im playing both fed. and klingon characters.
This has most definitely been covered... But please understand, we thank you for your input. This is a very tricky issue.

Hey Drama, I live here In Eugene, a short road trip and I'll fix your damned computer =P