Lt. Commander
# 1 star charts and Starbase 24
01-21-2012, 02:18 PM
So, I was looking at my Star Trek: Star Charts book, and I decided to take a look at the Beta Quadrant map (p. 62 or 64 for you fellow nerds). I see that Starbase 24 is located on the border of Klingon Space near Camp Khitomer.

Why, do you suppose that it is now located in the Sirius sector block? It is way further "east" (for lack of a better word). (you can see it here, although it's hard to make out)

And would you look at how freaking HUGE the klingon empire is? It is HUGE (that map doesn't show it all, it extends wayyyy far "southeast."

What do the Klingons do with all that space?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
What do the Klingons do with all that space?
Rule it like pros.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-21-2012, 03:05 PM
i dont think there is any official starchart. they are made up from information in the shows but if you watch the shows long enough you see all kinds of discrepancies in where things are meant to be located.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Songbird-
Agreed. because thats what the KDF does best.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i dont think there is any official starchart. they are made up from information in the shows but if you watch the shows long enough you see all kinds of discrepancies in where things are meant to be located.
For the foremost that is a true statement , there is no offical map to Star Trek.

However, the Star Trek Star Charts really should be regarded as the first official Trek Space Maps, because Mr. Mandel researched Star Trek and combined it with real star locations. Which really is no easy feat. And then Cryptic used his works as a basis for Star Trek Online.

As for locations not being where they should be, I'm guessing the Devs did that for gameplay sake. For instance Khitomer wasn't in and they wanted to use Starbase 24 for their fleet location for LTs.

But hopefully when they implement more changes they start moving things to where they belong. Starbase 24 gets moved to its canonical location near Khitomer, and the Azure nebula is moved back along the Neutral Zone than in deep Klingon Territory.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-21-2012, 03:21 PM
I'd chalk this one up to keeping it in the 'starter zone'. It's the first fleet action, and new players might not know how to navigate all the other sectors yet. Regulus has minefield, AC has crystal, PV has temple, and PC has scout force/mining. I imagine the devs wanted to have a fleet action that was in the same area the players were doing their missions in.

That said, I wouldn't mind moving it closer to Klingon space. It's not like Regulus is that far from the Sirius block anyway, and that'd certainly be closer than it is now. But that's a more game design-oriented question.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Maybe when the mythical one sector map arrives then they'll move it back over. That's a pretty big "if" though.