Lt. Commander
# 1 awesome space combat
01-21-2012, 06:41 PM
I have to say even tho I like Bridge Commander BC, and starfleet command series, none of them captured space combat like STO does, exactly like the show.

I fly a defiant a lot for pve/pvp. When strafing a borg cube, flying right up to it and veering off as I fire, my pulse shots landing on it as I go, it reminds me and looks exactly like the battle from First Contact. When I am fighting multiple ships, espcecially bird of preys and jem hadar bugs, and i blow them up and come around for another pass, and watch as torpedoes and disruptor shots miss me, i am reminded of the numerous dominion battles which the defiant fought.... just so cool
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-21-2012, 07:25 PM
If a game makes you FEEL engaged and nostalgic then its been developed well.

+1 Cookie for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-21-2012, 07:30 PM
*adds Targ bacon to the cookie gifts*
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-21-2012, 07:31 PM
I too love the space combat, I even like the ground stuff as well. I fly a Galaxy and a Defiant, they both fly and fight just like the movie scenes, very dramatic and not some twitch style gameplay.

But alas, others will chime in with their negativity and drown the topic.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
i iz luv teh space cumbat. I lehk to see teh pretteh pewpew lazors when i iz pwning some n00bs.

successful trollslayer iz successful.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by optyk View Post
Don't think you'll get that much in this thread - space combat has always been this game's forte, and even the most negative reviews have always commended the game on space combat, even when they list every other aspect of the game in the negative column.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
II fly a defiant a lot for pve/pvp. When strafing a borg cube, flying right up to it and veering off as I fire, my pulse shots landing on it as I go, it reminds me and looks exactly like the battle from First Contact.
Especially the 'getting tractor beamed and killed' part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by optyk View Post
I too love the space combat, I even like the ground stuff as well. I fly a Galaxy and a Defiant, they both fly and fight just like the movie scenes, very dramatic and not some twitch style gameplay.

Don't think you'll get that much in this thread - space combat has always been this game's forte, and even the most negative reviews have always commended the game on space combat, even when they list every other aspect of the game in the negative column.
Also most forums consider posts like that baiting.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-21-2012, 09:43 PM
I loved Starfleet Command 3 and am an old Starfleet Battles game player... I just wish SFC incorporated SFO space combat.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
I have to say even tho I like Bridge Commander BC, and starfleet command series, none of them captured space combat like STO does, exactly like the show.

I fly a defiant a lot for pve/pvp. When strafing a borg cube, flying right up to it and veering off as I fire, my pulse shots landing on it as I go, it reminds me and looks exactly like the battle from First Contact. When I am fighting multiple ships, espcecially bird of preys and jem hadar bugs, and i blow them up and come around for another pass, and watch as torpedoes and disruptor shots miss me, i am reminded of the numerous dominion battles which the defiant fought.... just so cool

We must be playing different games, because I too fly a Defiant it can't do most of the manoeuvres it could do in the movie and series. The Defiant is the one ship in this game that is hurt the most with Cryptic's stupid pitch limitation. Seriously, try and do the same strafing attack that the Defiant did on the Borg cube in First Contact. Attack from slightly below the Cube, attacking head on like the defiant did, then veer off, up and to the right, and instead of flying away like the Defiant did in the movie, in STO you will hit the elevation limit and not be able to pull up anymore and then just bounce harmlessly along the Borg ships hull until you clear it. Yup, looks very Star Trek-ey.

And even with full power to the engines and "Auxiliary" you can never fly as fast or turn as tight as the Defiant could in the show.

And another thing, evasive Manoeuvres that are actually evasive and beam weapons that can miss, were something else that was seen in First Contact and other Defiant battles in DS9, but not in STO.

So... no, STO doesn't even come close to capturing space combat "exactly like the show". STO does succeed in representing space combat from Star Trek III, V, and maybe Insurrection. As well as the countless minor battles in Voyager and TNG. But the fast frantic, large scale battles in DS9, and certain manoeuvres seen in Star Trek II, VI, First Contact, Nemesis and J. J. Trek are impossible to do in STO. Due to game engine limitations and the Devs belief that the STO players are too dumb, and we wouldn't have been able to handle full 3D flight, or even the ability to fly straight up or down.

The Devs have said they wanted to create the "tall ships in space" feel of combat from Star Trek II (except for the Z axis manoeuvre, obviously) and they weren't interested in they style of more "modern" Trek space flight like in ST VI, DS9, Enterprise, etc.

STO is what it is, a poor, half assed, rushed, attempt to make an MMO loosely set in the Star Trek universe. Nothing more, nothing less.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ
STO is what it is, a poor, half assed, rushed, attempt to make an MMO loosely set in the Star Trek universe. Nothing more, nothing less.
Seriously, why are you still here then?