Lt. Commander
# 11
01-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Seriously, why are you still here then?
Because I have accepted it. If I didn't play a Star Trek game because it wasn't "good" then I wouldn't have played any Star Trek games since 25th Anniversary, Judgment Rights and TNG Final Unity.

Yes STO sucks, but it's still Star Trek (all we have left of Star Trek really). And not playing it isn't going to make it not suck, just like not watching Enterprise didn't make the Trek TV franchise better.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-21-2012, 10:11 PM
You sound like a relative of mine. Hates to smoke, no enjoyment, no craving, not even seriously addicted anymore, just keeps forcing himself to smoke a pack a week because he's a smoker.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
You sound like a relative of mine. Hates to smoke, no enjoyment, no craving, not even seriously addicted anymore, just keeps forcing himself to smoke a pack a week because he's a smoker.
I've heard us Die hard Trekies/Trekers (whatever) have been compared to women suffering from Battered Wife Syndrome. No matter how bad the abuse is, no matter how much we endure from mediocre, or even bad, game developers and television and movie executives, we just keep coming back for more.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Then there are those, who have enough patience, to see what better things will come down the road.

From the early stages of this game to what has been going behind the scenes now, STO is now getting its second breath, but if it is not felt among those who carry that thought. That is their choice.

No one is coming for abuse here, we get that in real life, our jobs, and personal relationships, and many of us know the signs of such a thing.

We see it, we will speak it. None of us, are that far removed not to notice it.

The evidence are in the feedbacks throughout many threads, since this game's creation and continues today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ
I've heard us Die hard Trekies/Trekers (whatever) have been compared to women suffering from Battered Wife Syndrome. No matter how bad the abuse is, no matter how much we endure from mediocre, or even bad, game developers and television and movie executives, we just keep coming back for more.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Do me a favour MrJ

take out your defiant, go to full speed (but not full impulse) then hit evasive manuvours and an engine battery, give it a second or two then drop the engine power to zero (default key for that is R by the way) and turn the ship 180. then slam the power right back up.

you can do that in combat. makes for some awesome looking "drifts" in large ships with low turn rates and large inertia too, but in the smaller ships like the defiant and BoP's it can be a real breakneck turn once you get it down right.

and a recent patch put in beam weapon animations that miss too..

The 4th point under the general heading for the 12th jan here
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi
Do me a favour MrJ

take out your defiant, go to full speed (but not full impulse) then hit evasive manuvours and an engine battery, give it a second or two then drop the engine power to zero (default key for that is R by the way) and turn the ship 180. then slam the power right back up.

you can do that in combat. makes for some awesome looking "drifts" in large ships with low turn rates and large inertia too, but in the smaller ships like the defiant and BoP's it can be a real breakneck turn once you get it down right.
You could also do this in Bridge Commander (except better). Just cut all engine power while turning and the ships forward momentum would cause the ship to continue moving on your original course while the bow of the ship is pointing in an entirely different direction. Allowing the ship to move like ships move in Babylon 5, NuBSG and Firefly, as well as the DS9 episode Valiant, where the Valiant does a sharp 180 degree turn while sliding in their original direction.

My point about evasive manoeuvres was that the Defiant should always move like that in combat, not just when you push the space wizard power button. Evasive manoeuvres should have been a defence buff that made your ship harder to hit, not an ability to fly and turn fast for a few seconds. Maybe it could have even had an animation where the ship would slalom left and right, up and down, evading enemy beam and disrupter fire, like the Defiant would do in the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi
and a recent patch put in beam weapon animations that miss too..

The 4th point under the general heading for the 12th jan here
Cool, I heard they were going to put that in game but last I heard it was coming "Soon(TM)" just like everything else they have promised us. Honestly, I havenít played STO at all since SWTOR came out, and even before that it was only to log in, send my Duty Officers off on missions, then log out again.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
The harshest critic would have to admit that the space (and ground in many ways) combat in STO is not only beautiful in appearance, but just damned well implemented...

I stuck with SWG for a long time because no game has ever bested the depth of it's space game and the integration of ground and space...it really was brilliant...

... STO isn't there really, but it's got the right footing to best it and the others... If this game makes it to multi-year maturity and they keep it growing, it will be the best of it's kind...

I'm heavily Star Wars biased... and Star Trek is my secondary realm...but I'll take a mature STO over a TOR or eventually even an SWG if they keep at it...
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ

My point about evasive manoeuvres was that the Defiant should always move like that in combat, not just when you push the space wizard power button. Evasive manoeuvres should have been a defence buff that made your ship harder to hit, not an ability to fly and turn fast for a few seconds. Maybe it could have even had an animation where the ship would slalom left and right, up and down, evading enemy beam and disrupter fire, like the Defiant would do in the show.
Evasive also buffs your turn rate from good to OMGWTF on the defiant/BoP while active, if you want to move like that you can do so yourself i'm actually glad it doesnt run a pre-programmed set of moves, i'd hate to have control ripped from me like that while playing. If it helps I move by holding both mouse buttons and using that, so with the sensitivity set well you can get some really fast moves from the ships in the right conditions.

I would have prefered it to be more of a defensive buff, instead its become a speed buff. I can also see why, with manual control being kept on ships, why actual movement of mouse/controller wouldnt increase the ability to dodge as it were, because it'd take less than a day for someone to work out how to maximise something like that in a gaming mouse/keyboard macro.

I'm a huge fan of DS9, Babylon 5 and love space combat shows of all kinds in general (oh i'd kill for a Gundam or Macross MMO..) and was also a beta tester on black prophecy which has full 360 degree space combat.. and i've not played that in almost a year and have a lifetime sub to STO.. which i think speaks in itself for my personal preferance I know it isnt perfect, and not everyone's cup of tea either, but there's been times in the last few weeks when i've been playing and just been blown away by how it "feels".. like a little part of my mind goes "wow, thats so trek" as i'm in the middle of fighting in space. its those moments that really capture me in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ
I've heard us Die hard Trekies/Trekers (whatever).
This explains so much... every time I read such posts...

I have my problem with trekers.. but trekies they are just killing it for me... I have no problems with people being fans of something, or even collecting things of the show.. but when they start to argue about little useless things and this breaks "immersion" for them.. god...

I remember all the tantrum about ship interiors... and special fellas making multiple accounts to post endless rants why its of utmost importance to add this pre launch....

I am kind of glad cryptic looks more for the broader audience and not the hardcore trek fandome...

Yeah my little rant about the hardcore trek fans...
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-22-2012, 03:56 PM
MrJ you are flying too close and do not pull up soon enough. I strafe it right along all the time, sometimes I go over and hit and I am smoothed along with collision but what the heck. Man you sound jaded!