Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
This might not necessarily be appropriate for this section persay, but I felt that it was relevant enough to include it here. Basically, I'd like to know how many F2P players have you brought to STO. What do they like about STO? What strengths and weaknesses do your friends feel STO has?

Ok, so far, I've brought four of my mount and blade friends to STO.

Of those four, three have started a character. The fourth one just downloaded it last night, but hasn't started playing yet. One is a tactical, one is science, and the other is engineer.

My engineer friend's observations:

Ground combat is kind of crappy, but space combat is pretty fun. He opted to have a female main toon with female BO's because he didn't want his STo experience to be a sausage fest. We had a good laugh after that comment.

My tactical officer friend:

He wanted a ship with a lot of pew pew, but complained that the miranda has a terrible turn-rate. I told him he needed to work towards a VA defiant. He felt normal mode was too easy, so he's switched the combat difficulty to advanced which he feels is challenging enough to keep him interested in the game. If you're curious about his character appearance, he created a super ugly alien to frighten people on ESD. So far, we've scared about 2-3 people. We've also danced together which made people stare at us in a confused fashion.

We had a lot of fun playing the diplomatic orders mission. Upon seeing the undine, my friend said "wtf is that thing. wowwww, so freaking ugly!" A few minutes later he asked me whether or not he could make his character look like the undine. I told him, "sadly, no."

My science officer friend:

He told me his goal was to fly in a nebula class starship. I told him he could get one eventually once he get enough dilithium. He went with more of a ground set-up, adding telekenesis as one of his ground traits.

In the tutorial mission, my friend kept getting freaked out by the borg. He said to me to me 'we gotta get outta here. There's borg everywhere." I lol'ed and told him that he had to finish this mission.

My own observations of all three friends:

My friends had little trouble figuring out the basic ground and space controls. However, they did have trouble understanding and finding all of the top right buttons, as well as how you added BO skills to your skill bar at the bottom right. After some explaining, I was able to help them understand what was what and which was which.

I also introduced them to spider mitch ship chart. Props to him for making STO much easier to understand for us. I told my friends they needed to choose the tier 5 ship that they like and tailor their BO skills to the BO limitations that tier 5 ship had. I'm not sure if they completely understood me, but I think they'll eventually get the hang of it. Feel free to share some of your experiences.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-22-2012, 01:55 PM
I think there are too many buttons crowded around the minimap, personally.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-22-2012, 01:59 PM
None. Not now, not ever unless there are some major content (more) and personnel (Gozer, sdangelo) changes.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
None. Not now, not ever unless there are some major content (more) and personnel (Gozer, sdangelo) changes.
Have you brought any friends to STO?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb

We had a lot of fun playing the diplomatic orders mission. Upon seeing the undine, my friend said "wtf is that thing. wowwww, so freaking ugly!" A few minutes later he asked me whether or not he could make his character look like the undine. I told him, "sadly, no."
Could need more narrow eyes.
May or may not be naked.
Ok so it's more of a Undine/Human hybrid but close enough.

As for getting friends to play the game.
Why yes I have. Do they have any comments? Well I suppose I could push them towards this thread.
Heck I even got a guy that was hitting on me in some other place to download the game. He had heard about it before but wasn't interested in a sub. He asked me what games I was playing and I said STO. Then he asked if it was fun and I said yes and it's now F2P and I think he is playing now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-22-2012, 02:10 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Could need more narrow eyes.
May or may not be naked.
Ok so it's more of a Undine/Human hybrid but close enough.

As for getting friends to play the game.
Why yes I have. Do they have any comments? Well I suppose I could push them towards this thread.
Heck I even got a guy that was hitting on me in some other place to download the game. He had heard about it before but wasn't interested in a sub. He asked me what games I was playing and I said STO. Then he asked if it was fun and I said yes and it's now F2P and I think he is playing now.
Your hybrid undine looks very cool. It looks a little like a defari and undine head molded into one. The purplish color makes your alien look like a piece of candy. haha. Does your alien have a back story to it? How did he come to be as he is? Maybe the defari aren't as peaceful as they seem to be. Maybe the defari captured a Undine and tried to create a defari undine hybrid.
Oh, and gj on bringing friends to STO!
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
Do you continue to play the game, or are you quitting untli the next FE comes out? If another FE comes out, will you recommend STO to your friends?
I quit STO almost 8 months ago. I returned during the F2P head start period. While I'm glad with many changes they made, when I noticed that no real 'playable content was added I am about to leave yet again. I had hoped to bring over some of my 'static'(2 family friends, and 5 friends, and about 8 family members that travel to all games together) but after seeing that we will only get about 30 hours of 'unique content' we decided not to have everyone whose never played to even bother to download the game.

The lack of large scale needed overhaul to key systems, 0 pvp upgrades, etc etc completely turn me off to trying to 'sucker' my friends into here. STO still doesn't deserve my business. Will I come back when more content is added; yes. Will I resub or purchase stuff from the crypt store? No, not until I feel they are going in a direction I could justify with my wallet.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
I quit STO almost 8 months ago. I returned during the F2P head start period. While I'm glad with many changes they made, when I noticed that no real 'playable content was added I am about to leave yet again. I had hoped to bring over some of my 'static'(2 family friends, and 5 friends, and about 8 family members that travel to all games together) but after seeing that we will only get about 30 hours of 'unique content' we decided not to have everyone whose never played to even bother to download the game.

The lack of large scale needed overhaul to key systems, 0 pvp upgrades, etc etc completely turn me off to trying to 'sucker' my friends into here. STO still doesn't deserve my business. Will I come back when more content is added; yes. Will I resub or purchase stuff from the crypt store? No, not until I feel they are going in a direction I could justify with my wallet.
Fair enough, lets hope that Cryptic added more FE's than just the planned DS9 one. I'm also hoping PVP will get upgraded in the future in the sense that it will be incorporated into some sort of territory control game. Cryptic, I hope your reading this thread because that's 15 more people that could potentially come to this game if you start to add mission content at a reasonable pace.