Lt. Commander
# 1 Raise Skillpoint Cap
01-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Another suggestion since coming bk to play STO.

Anychance the skillpoint cap will be raised? Im not saying that we should be able to have points full in everything just enough so we dont have to gimp ourselfs in space or ground or be below average in both being forced to spread out skill points or not be able to do anything in ground effectively.

Not looking for new ranks or anything either just a raise in skillpoints with the skill tree we already have.

Space skill cap is 300,000, can we raise that to 330,000?
Ground is pretty ok as it is with 100,000 cap but there are not enough skillpoints in the game to put anything in higher tier ground skills without gimping your space skills.

So looking for something like a 50,000 skillpoints raise in the game and a 30,000 skillpoint cap raise on space skills.

I get the game would be silly if everyone could max out everything just seems really weird system where you can't put skills in higher tier ground skills without taking away from your space skills.

Just seems stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Until we get Full Admiral and Fleet Admiral ranks, I doubt we will see a skill cap raise. I would like to see completely independent skill pools though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Vale_Cortez
Until we get Full Admiral and Fleet Admiral ranks, I doubt we will see a skill cap raise. I would like to see completely independent skill pools though.
I would not want to have even higher skill tree tbh because that doesn't solve the issue of lack of skillpoint cap. Increase in ranks does not solve the issue just postpones it.

We need a skillpoint increase with what we already have before anything extra is added.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Instead of a raise, I'd rather they give us the ability to create roles. Give us three roles, one for pvp ground, one for pvp space, and one for pve.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS-Tiberius
I would not want to have even higher skill tree tbh because that doesn't solve the issue of lack of skillpoint cap. Increase in ranks does not solve the issue just postpones it.

We need a skillpoint increase with what we already have before anything extra is added.
I agree with you on that the introduction of new ranks doesn't really solve the issue, I'm just stating my opinion that it is unlikely we will see a raised cap unless it is tied to new ranks.

That being said, going with truly separate ground and space skill trees and skill point pools would also open the door to more specialization. However, before anyone points it out, we did have the specialization before under the old system, but no one used that specialization on ground because ground sucked.

If we had the old skill tree but completely separate exp for space and ground there would have been points enough to be specialized in space and ground and not be gimped in either. Instead, we know that Cryptic's response to this is because we have the new skill tree. Given Crpytic's history, I doubt neither your suggestion nor mine will be picked up and the only skill increase we see will be part of the introduction Admiral and Fleet Admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-23-2012, 09:05 AM
I do not see any real reason to raise the Skill Cap. We just got a general reduction in the cost of Skills as well cutting several Skills for the list. I would think that would pretty much do the same thing as raising the Cap.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus92 View Post
Instead of a raise, I'd rather they give us the ability to create roles. Give us three roles, one for pvp ground, one for pvp space, and one for pve.
Like dual specing? being able to switch from space skill set and ground skill set without needing a respec? I like this idea, it wont make cryptic anymore money though and we know how much they love there $$$$, so I doubt they will go for it.

Same with skillpoint and cap increase probably why we have never had one, makes cryptic less money from less respecs needed.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS-Tiberius
Like dual specing? being able to switch from space skill set and ground skill set without needing a respec? I like this idea, it wont make cryptic anymore money though and we know how much they love there $$$$, so I doubt they will go for it.

Same with skillpoint and cap increase probably why we have never had one, makes cryptic less money from less respecs needed.
Make dual spec purchasable for Cryptic Points. 800CP per character and you can switch whenever you're outside of combat, 15min cooldown. Problem solved, do it, Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-23-2012, 10:15 AM
The 300k space *is* the raised skillpoint cap. Now people who were entirely space before have 92% the same space power, *plus* they aren't terrible at ground.

Do a search for under CaptainGeko for Al Rivera's in-depth explanation on it. Borticus also posted a good update as well.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Vale_Cortez
If we had the old skill tree but completely separate exp for space and ground there would have been points enough to be specialized in space and ground and not be gimped in either.
I really don't get people that whine about having separate skill pools. At the end of the day it would not change anything. Whether you have separate pools of 300K and 66K, or one pool of 366K with a limit of spending no more than 300K in space, the end result is exactly the same. Cryptic has better things to do than implement changes whose net effect would be zero.

I also see no need to increase the number of skill points available. People who think there are not enough points typically have not done their research and are trying to put 9 points into everything. The thing is, those last three points in a skill do very very little, and are often better spent elsewhere. Google the term "diminishing returns" if you still don't get it.