Lt. Commander
# 21
01-23-2012, 11:04 AM
I don't.

Filler text.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I dont really care for the names till i get my RA or VA ships, for it is in the name that people know you by. so they must be epic. in my book

MVAE: Pandora
Star Cruiser: Wind's of ****
Sovereign: Transcension
Intrepid: Edge of Twilight
Hegh'ta BoP: Am'syra
Vo'quv: Sto'Vo'Kor
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-23-2012, 11:11 AM
All my starships are named after mobile suits from the Gundam metafranchise, while trying to avoid use of gundams themselves, they tend to be the only ones with names that 'feel fitting' for a space-faring vessel. The names also try to find the closest match between the role partaken by the vessel, and the nature of the mobile suits intended role, ie, Zeta, an agile attack design, name passed to defiant-R.

I have two exceptions to this, both are auxilliary craft:
The first is the Peregrine class Falcon, two guesses as to why xD
The second is the type 8(? correct me if I'm wrong) named Yamato, named for whiny protagonist of SEED, who kinda reminds me of certain characters in Star Trek.

The name of the ship I use at LT is carried through all the ranks (Freedom on Tac, Murasame on Sci, Eng TBD) being transferred in the same manner as has been done with the Enterprise itself (name + registry number transferred, with a,b,c etc appended to reflect incarnation of the vessel)
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Yeah, all my character's Yamato's are the Galaxy X for obvious reasons :p
I loved that show. I have all 3 seasons on DVD but season 3 is hard to watch. That and Gatchaman although they at least did that with VO work and uncut a few years back to make those DVDs easy to watch.

Now I'm thinking of making a full Gatchaman theme name ships although I did see a IKS God Phoenix already.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I just saw a U.S.S. William Nye (Yes, Bill Nye the Science Guy), a Commander level Science ship.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-23-2012, 01:21 PM
My theme naming is as follows:

Fed Tac: Based on the progression of ships the character "served" on in a peice of fan fiction that I never could get to work to my satisfaction. So there's no real "theme" to the names: Hamilton, Kumari, Grimlock, Zea Dorsa, Kearsarge.

Fed Eng: Based on ships from the American Civil War: Keokuk, Sumter, Albemarle, Shenandoah, Housatonic.

Fed Sci: Named after ships, devices, or expeditions related to exploration: Terra Nova, Sojourner, Cassini, Atlantis, Godspeed.

KDF Eng: No real theme was done when he was leveling up, but his three ship are based on the scientific names of certain reptiles, except for the final ship, the Drahkos.

KDF Sci: An Orion, named her ships after the gods of romance, to be nice about it.

KDF Tac: The ships are all named after the original Predacons from the Transformers series; with their closest equivilent names in Klingon: JorwI'tor, Hos'Qeh, Qeh'yab, Qaw'ral, Pach'leth.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis

KDF Sci: An Orion, named her ships after the gods of romance, to be nice about it.
Does that mean there's an IKS Slannesh flying around somewhere?

I just tend to randomly pick names for my ships out of thin air, with 3 exceptions.

I asked Chat to give me a name for a ship, so she's resposible for the "Nancy" part of the USS Nancy Chatastic.

The USS Euphoria was named after my ship from a brief Star Wars RPG campaign.

Finally the USS Serendipity was so named because I tend to swoop in at the right time to save people in PVE and PVP with that ship.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Mexican Foodstuffs.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Mexican Foodstuffs.
lol actually so does my friend his ship name is taco, his runabout though is named chimichanga. :p
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Mexican Foodstuffs.
The real question is when you get your VA ship will you name it "Taco muy Grande" or "Burrito Supremo" or "El Enchelada Todo" so many good names...