Lt. Commander
# 1 Forced friending
01-23-2012, 08:45 AM
To me this is something you should never do. I'm a returning player and i had a question about something in the UI that changed. This guy would answer me if i Friend him. So i did then unfriended . I wasn't looking for friends i only wanted a question answered. He got mad and said he would never help me again. I could care less. Where is it written that to get a question answered that you have to friend someone. People like this are creepy to me. I have no problem working with others on missions and getting to know them. But making people friend you to get a question answered is weird to me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-23-2012, 08:50 AM
That player is just weird
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikura
To me this is something you should never do. I'm a returning player and i had a question about something in the UI that changed. This guy would answer me if i Friend him. So i did then unfriended . I wasn't looking for friends i only wanted a question answered. He got mad and said he would never help me again. I could care less. Where is it written that to get a question answered that you have to friend someone. People like this are creepy to me. I have no problem working with others on missions and getting to know them. But making people friend you to get a question answered is weird to me.
Better thing to do would not to have accepted in the 1st place, you accepted his condition, then backed out. Granted it was strange, but you could have just asked someone else, that's what I would have done /shrug. At no point were you forced, you decided to hit the accept button, he couldn't make you, and doubt he was the only source of the knowledge you were seeking.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
That player is just weird
I agree. Now if he was a new silver and had to friend you to send tells I can sortof understand, but if he wasn't he was just weird.

I've actually had something similar happen a couple of times in other games, in all cases the players were ~12 years old give or take a couple. Though they were usually guild mates kids who just wanted to feel like they have a place in the guild.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
That's beyond weird, imo. And I seriously hope this is an isolated incident.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-23-2012, 09:14 AM
some people treat sto as they do facebook
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm sick of people sending friend requests, seriously why the hell would i befriend someone i've never spoken to. As for that guy he sounds weird, if he's going to treat it like trollbook, then he should be blown out of the nearest airlock.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivyn13
some people treat sto as they do facebook
That's it, IMO. We've become accustomed to friending people on FB and Twitter and it's just carry-over from that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Some people are just friend collectors. I have also found that people are too lazy to right click on the name in order to send a TELL back to another player. N I still consider a “friend’ someone that I have a lot of respect for and would lend him my car. Not just someone that knows an answer to a question.

I think people that need want to help other people in any way should not expect something in return. That is being helpful at a price. I hope you are reading this thread weird guy!
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Now if you want a reliable source of information, there is always the STOWiki... http://www.stowiki.org

And if you want a friendly source of information and support, I would suggest looking for a nice Fleet to join... In addition to answering questions, a good Fleet can provide other perks, such as crafting services, BO training and transfers, etc. etc...