Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
01-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Of course. Servers have the least amount of players when they are down. Even a Pakled would realize that.
hehehhe right on!

I was referring to the historical time of day when there are the least number of people on. That is how they chose the time when they will do this sort of maintenance. But you are right because when the server is down NO ONE should complain because NO ONE is playing. Pluss it is the only two hours a day thay they will not get any bug reports
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
01-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Alrighty then. But just for future reference, when someone asks you "why is something a certain way" and you answer with "because..." that means you are agreeing it is that way.
And I quote:

Quote:
because [bih-kawz, -koz, -kuhz]  

conjunction
1. for the reason that; due to the fact that: The boy was absent because he was ill.

Idiom
2. because of, by reason of; due to: Schools were closed because of heavy snowfall.

Origin:
1275–1325; Middle English bi cause by cause

Synonyms
1. Because, as, since, for, inasmuch as agree in implying a reason for an occurrence or action. Because introduces a direct reason: I was sleeping because I was tired. As and since are so casual as to imply merely circumstances attendant on the main statement: As (or since ) I was tired, I was sleeping. The reason, proof, or justification introduced by for is like an afterthought or a parenthetical statement: I was sleeping, for I was tired. Inasmuch as implies concession; the main statement is true in view of the circumstances introduced by this conjunction: Inasmuch as I was tired, it seemed best to sleep.
And I quote:

Quote:
high horse 
noun
a haughty attitude or temper; a contemptuous manner.

Origin:
1375–1425; late Middle English

Cultural Dictionary
high horse definition

To be on one's “high horse” is to be disdainful or conceited: “Sally got tired of Peter's snobbery and finally told him to get off his high horse.”
Courtesy of - Dictionary.com Unabridged

Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2012.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
01-23-2012, 05:28 PM
that would explain why the earl grey tea cant be replicated
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieone
why would they could from a good os to a very bad os! there was agood reason why ms develope windows 7 so fast to replace vista
because
1) it would stop the need for daily restarts if the server doesn't boot up to begin with.
2) if the game wasn't built to run off of a vista server, daily restarts would be the least of their problems
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
01-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
because
1) it would stop the need for daily restarts if the server doesn't boot up to begin with.
2) if the game wasn't built to run off of a vista server, daily restarts would be the least of their problems
There has never been such a thing as Vista server, thank God.

I would actually be interested to know whether they use Unix or Windows servers but I strongly suspect I know the answer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
01-24-2012, 03:45 AM
You can use the vista os as a server.
It isn't a server os. It isn't even a good pc os.
But it can e used as both.
Pretty sure cryptic is using unix servers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
01-24-2012, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bailey
hehehhe right on!

I was referring to the historical time of day when there are the least number of people on. That is how they chose the time when they will do this sort of maintenance. But you are right because when the server is down NO ONE should complain because NO ONE is playing. Pluss it is the only two hours a day thay they will not get any bug reports
Right, kinda made me think of that little map 'how americans see the world'. You know the problem is not with the restarts, it's with this half assed excuse someone gives every single time, that it's the least populated. It's the least populated for americans, maybe. Here on the other continent, one which some americans can't even put on the map, it's afternoon. And as formely stated, after you get back from work, you have like 6-7 hours to maybe spend on gaming in general. If one third of that is maintenance ALL the bloody time, it's a lot. Every patch, restart, fart of a swallow in japan is at the same time. Let's cycle it shall we? Let's put the restart on 8 AM GMT, and see how patient you guys will be.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
01-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
Right, kinda made me think of that little map 'how americans see the world'. You know the problem is not with the restarts, it's with this half assed excuse someone gives every single time, that it's the least populated. It's the least populated for americans, maybe. Here on the other continent, one which some americans can't even put on the map, it's afternoon. And as formely stated, after you get back from work, you have like 6-7 hours to maybe spend on gaming in general. If one third of that is maintenance ALL the bloody time, it's a lot. Every patch, restart, fart of a swallow in japan is at the same time. Let's cycle it shall we? Let's put the restart on 8 AM GMT, and see how patient you guys will be.
i am pretty much smack dab in the middle of the U.S. and im tired of every morning i have time off to play i sit down and bam...
there is guaranteed at least a 5 hour window of the start to mid of my day that i dont get to play.... when i get up before i have to go to work.....

so ya spread the love around some.....if it is going to be a constant everyday thing for awhile, then ya spread it around a little, cause this may be the time the least amount is on, but you are seriously peeving of the player base that does play at that time, and i would imagine it will become a ghost town at that time zone ... eventually...

maybe that is what you want ... $@!&* off enough they go away and you can have your daily restart and maint and now worries on peeving off your microtransaction customers....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
01-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSpock View Post
And I quote:
Yep; like I said. Answering a question with the word "because" implies 2 things: agreeing with the premise of the question while explaining it. Example: Why does my head hurt? Because you just got hit with a baseball. The Second statement agrees with the premise that the person's head hurts and explains why. Thanks for proving my point!

Quote:
high horse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Yep; like I said. Answering a question with the word "because" implies 2 things: agreeing with the premise of the question while explaining it. Example: Why does my head hurt? Because you just got hit with a baseball. The Second statement agrees with the premise that the person's head hurts and explains why. Thanks for proving my point!

Quote:
high horse
Logical fallacy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
You're welcome!

From Wiki:

Quote:
An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it.
This would have relevance had I attempted to negate the truth of your claim; however, I did not. Therefore, the conclusion of my observation resulting in the label, "high horse", remains unaltered.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:23 PM.