Lt. Commander
# 1 It only works with IE?!?!
01-23-2012, 12:21 PM
I have been a long time player in this game, and was excited when it became free to play, I've been logging in and playing for over a month now (since it has gone free to play, but have been playing for about a year and a half), however, today when I started up my launcher, I had two options on how to log in. However, the radio button would not change for me to sign in with my cryptic user name and password.

I promptly contacted support via chat, and was told this thread was the answer to my questions:

http://support.crypticstudios.com/cryptic#answers.488

I informed the person on the other side of the chat that I don't even have IE installed, it tends to be a pain and is very unsecured for what I do, he then informed me that the launcher ONLY worked with IE, therefore unless I installed the bulky, problematic IE I would not be able to log in..

Well, I refuse to use or install IE, and considering this is the only program that isn't compatible with my firefox system, I guess I'll be missing out on a game I love.. This new "requirement" of IE is disheartening seeing as I've again, played for years using firefox with no problems, until now..

~Discouraged
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadziaLorraine View Post
I have been a long time player in this game, and was excited when it became free to play, I've been logging in and playing for over a month now (since it has gone free to play, but have been playing for about a year and a half), however, today when I started up my launcher, I had two options on how to log in. However, the radio button would not change for me to sign in with my cryptic user name and password.

I promptly contacted support via chat, and was told this thread was the answer to my questions:

I informed the person on the other side of the chat that I don't even have IE installed, it tends to be a pain and is very unsecured for what I do, he then informed me that the launcher ONLY worked with IE, therefore unless I installed the bulky, problematic IE I would not be able to log in..

Well, I refuse to use or install IE, and considering this is the only program that isn't compatible with my firefox system, I guess I'll be missing out on a game I love.. This new "requirement" of IE is disheartening seeing as I've again, played for years using firefox with no problems, until now..

~Discouraged
Most patchers use IE protocols, this is a given fact. Start > Control Panel > Internet Options

Another fact is, IE has not been anymore or less insecure than firefox or other web browsers for half a decade or more. This is just from constant false dogma from people with less than professional technical expertise.

The following can be installed on Windows XP , Internet Explorer 8

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=43

The following can be installed on Windows Vista and 7, Internet Explorer 9

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/i...tag=SearGoogle

Another point to be made is most viruses today are through JAVA, Adobe Reader or addon programs that the user usually initiates themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Quote:

~Discouraged
Our launcher has *always* used IE. Always. It's not a new requirement.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
Our launcher has *always* used IE. Always. It's not a new requirement.
and if it's NOT a new requirement, why is it I'm only NOW having the problem? the tech lead me to believe that it WAS new, because I have never had this problem before, and told me flat out, I need IE to run (which I have never had before)

as for my preference for Firefox, for what I do, and how I do it, IE does not allow half the actions I need to accomplish, and yes, even with all the plug ins in the world, is not as secure as I have edited my firefox to be..

This problem has only started in the last week.. after well over a year of playing.. and never having IE installed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
and if it's NOT a new requirement, why is it I'm only NOW having the problem? the tech lead me to believe that it WAS new, because I have never had this problem before, and told me flat out, I need IE to run (which I have never had before)

as for my preference for Firefox, for what I do, and how I do it, IE does not allow half the actions I need to accomplish, and yes, even with all the plug ins in the world, is not as secure as I have edited my firefox to be..

This problem has only started in the last week.. after well over a year of playing.. and never having IE installed.
You don't need to use the launcher at all.

AKAIK the game will let you handle login and patching functions within itself, just make yourself a direct shortcut to the client instead of the launcher.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Quote:

I would check your Internet Options in your control panel and make sure you allow active javascript as the launcher requires it.

But on a semi unrelated note - the base IE components are built directly into Windows there is no way too 100% be rid of Internet Explorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
You don't need to use the launcher at all.

AKAIK the game will let you handle login and patching functions within itself, just make yourself a direct shortcut to the client instead of the launcher.
This is untrue. Running the client directly will not patch the game, if it is not updated you will get a version mismatch error.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Using IE is not new. Using javascript (to select PW type) is new.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-23-2012, 02:39 PM
main thing that the launcher uses is MSHTML . The only way other than OS reinstall to correct problems or corrupted or imporper setting in MSHTML is through IE.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
A simple answer, is the problem you are having didn't exist, due to obvious changes to the patcher. There was no Cryptic/Perfect World account options beforehand, hence your current problem.

Start > Control Panel > Internet Options and follow the instructions given to you VIA your ticket.

Hope it helps and have a wonderful day! :3
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Quote:

I can confirm that it has always used IE... around release (give or take a couple months) I played STO on Linux using Wine. Even back then, I had to install IE to get the launcher to work right.

And LOL @ you thinking Firefox is more secure than IE... Frefox has a mess of security issues. Chrome is currently the leader is browser security, followed by IE, then Firefox. I personally use IE, even though I know Chrome is more secure, but I would never use Firefox anymore...