Lt. Commander
# 11
01-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Quote:
The grab bag controversy: Will it end?

Rivera was bluntly honest about the grab bags that were introduced in the game last December. Simply put: Yes, they were a hit, and no, they will not be going away. Rivera explained that while the revenue-generating gimmicks were very successful, they were also used as a means to get ships into the game, ships that most likely never would have seen the light of the monitor before now. CBS did not approve the generalized use of the Jem'Hadar attack ships in game because company representatives felt that portraying a majority of Starfleet officers flying enemy vessels was counter to the image they want to convey. CBS was amenable, however, to allowing the ships to appear in "ultra rare" circumstances, making the Dominion ships the perfect choice for the STO's first game-of-chance.

He stated there was a possibility other atypical ships or items may make appearances via a grab-bag, especially items that CBS may be more open to allowing on an ultra-rare basis. The mention of a Tier-5 Constitution class came up as an example, but he confirmed that no formal discussions have occurred with CBS about any ship, let alone a "Tier-5 Connie."

However, Rivera was able to confirm that there are no plans to release the new Odyssey class ships in this fashion and reiterated that they will be available via in-game currency or for purchase in the C-Store.

Rivera was also adamant that the revenue generated by the grab bags will allow the team to put more time and money into hiring and development of more featured content that is necessary to keep players interested in the game.
Pity is all I have to say....pity.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-23-2012, 07:37 PM
I'd love to see the great new future of STO begin.

Free to play launch has arrived and passed . The new players are here.

The hall has been rented, the orchestra has engaged, now is the time for us all to dance, let's make it a happy dance shall we?

The Odyssey class would be a great place to start. We've been hearing about her for what, five or six months already? Roll out that pretty lady already, I want to take her for a spin around the galaxy !
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-23-2012, 08:07 PM
The article just put into words what we alrdy knew...no money no workers and a change of ownership...NOW!!! we have new owners that understand the online gaming world, all is good....

I ask only one thing...in those grab bags can we get some "Risa Beach Wear".....
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
I loved the Romulan FE series. I hope the next one is even better.
I hope the next one is better, too. It'll have to tide us over for most of the year.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-23-2012, 10:16 PM
if the grab bag stated what you had the chance to get and the chance of getting it i probably wouldnt have a problem with them. but i sure wouldnt toss gobs of cash at.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
wow what an interesting article. Too bad Cryptic chooses to shift blame to their old scapegoat nemesis, Atari. I suggest next time trying to own up to your mistakes and short comings as a development team and company instead of passing the blame. Your player base is more receptive to honesty.
while Cryptic may take some blame, Atari STILL is to blame for many of their issues as well. it can't be denied that Cryptic could only do so much with the orders and choices of their owners

so yeah... appealing a company to appeal to your version of honesty, not the common one... not a good thing. just saying
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-23-2012, 11:39 PM
This was a horrible article, on the basis that its another derivative of nearly every article, podcast, and announcement that has been put up going into, and since F2P went live. I think this was the third source that stated Foundry was originally for Neverwinter, with no exact details on what's coming up next. Same goes about talking about how Cryptic couldn't say anything about the change over from Atari, and trying to offer explanation as to why they haven't announced any concrete details about upcoming material. I have sat at the edge of my seat every time I come to this site to look for new information, and when I do, its the same recycled material. Meanwhile, the PWE banner has been officially on the site for a week or so, and I've been pulling my hair out every time I see a new Odyssey-Class picture, wallpaper, and screenshot attached to an article on the news feed, but nothing substantial. I'm not going to ragequit over this, I'm not going to post and say that I'm done with the game for good. I'm trying to put on a dramatic enough display to get your attention because it matters to me.

I love this game, and I'm calling you out, Cryptic. Stop sharing rehashes of interviews containing vague responses. I want something new on the Calendar. I want real information about the Odyssey, or the Klingon Flagship. I want something. No more of this, "We're adding new stuff. Can't say what. Can't say when. But just wait; it's coming."
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGothic View Post
This was a horrible article, on the basis that its another derivative of nearly every article, podcast, and announcement that has been put up going into, and since F2P went live. I think this was the third source that stated Foundry was originally for Neverwinter, with no exact details on what's coming up next. Same goes about talking about how Cryptic couldn't say anything about the change over from Atari, and trying to offer explanation as to why they haven't announced any concrete details about upcoming material. I have sat at the edge of my seat every time I come to this site to look for new information, and when I do, its the same recycled material. Meanwhile, the PWE banner has been officially on the site for a week or so, and I've been pulling my hair out every time I see a new Odyssey-Class picture, wallpaper, and screenshot attached to an article on the news feed, but nothing substantial. I'm not going to ragequit over this, I'm not going to post and say that I'm done with the game for good. I'm trying to put on a dramatic enough display to get your attention because it matters to me.

I love this game, and I'm calling you out, Cryptic. Stop sharing rehashes of interviews containing vague responses. I want something new on the Calendar. I want real information about the Odyssey, or the Klingon Flagship. I want something. No more of this, "We're adding new stuff. Can't say what. Can't say when. But just wait; it's coming."
I'd say you haven't exactly "called out" much.

...You do realise, the person who wrote the article, is also the same person who conducted that interview you so refer to?
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Pity is all I have to say....pity.
You really want to see grab bags disappear? I don't.

While I do agree that it is shifty, very misleading, and underhanded, I also think that putting an 'ultra-rare' ship in a grab-bag is just evil, and should be fixed.

HOWEVER,

Let thousands of other players throw money at the game. I'll spend a little, and then give up. Let the thousands of uncontrollable gamblers fund the game.

In closing:

More money for the developers = More money to put into content (And the creators thereof).
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Again. Talk is cheap, i'll believe it when i see the changes happening across the board not just a few missions to "placate" the masses. I do understand the issue with dealing with parent companies and there's a lot that goes behind the scenes that has little to do with the actual operation of the game but still affects it. Money and head count is the root of a lot of this. Hopefully they can start hiring a full team now and start delegating the teams to specific areas of the game.