Lt. Commander
# 21
01-24-2012, 03:42 AM
Yes the grab bag was successful first time round but now players know what the odds are or rather the total lask of odds at winning. Do you really think it will ever share the same success again?
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecat69
Yes the grab bag was successful first time round but now players know what the odds are or rather the total lask of odds at winning. Do you really think it will ever share the same success again?
I do. First off, the first grab bag was only available to the subscribing members - people who already pay - and it was a success. I think it will be doubly so when the first one comes out and F2Pers get a crack at them.

Also - it depends on what you were "looking for" in those grab bags. TBH I spent quite a bit actually shooting for stuff that wasn't "ultra-rare". I wanted some blue weapons and the winter items as I really loved the scarves.

So don't be surprised if they do grab bags that don't contain "ultra-rare" stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
actually the success or lack of, will be driven by the playerbase. the more folks who get burned but them the less they spend on them, If you don't like them you should tactfully remind folks of the "bug ship" and how its drop rate was. Once folks start to see what it actually is, more will refrain from the blatant cash grab stuff and will reward them with purchases on items that are clear and easy to understand.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
So don't be surprised if they do grab bags that don't contain "ultra-rare" stuff.
Let's face it, the Jem'Hadar ship was the big draw, the grand prize for the grab bag. We can say with a wink and a nudge that the Holographic BOs, and blue weapons and assorted other items were just as viable and desirable... but really? Are we going to be that intellectually dishonest? Yes, it was a whopping success, they made buckets of money off of that gimmick. They had to include all of the spare crap to make it something other than a gamble

Do you really think they won't include the T5 Connie in such a gimmick? Or perhaps the Aventine? Or Ambassador? What about the highly desirable T5 Akira that the community has been hankering for since launch? All of those ships are in danger now of becoming grab bag carrots, rather than straight up C-Store purchases and or earned via in-game content.

Brass tacks, Cryptic and Perfect World are in it for the money, like any good corporation. These grab bags make them cash in sufficiently large quantities to likely offset the number of subscriptions they've likely lost with the change over to F2P.

Expect them more frequently.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-24-2012, 09:07 AM
What I do know is that I will not be wasting any more C-Points with grab bags.

I can live with Grab Bags, but what I do very much Object to is to make one of the best ships in the entire game a super rare only obtainable via the Grab Bag.

Grab bag ships should NEVER be superior in any way to the normal fare available to players.
They should be valued as collectors item and not a tactical edge over your enemies.
It is not fair, and its not even Pay 2 Win, its much worse.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
while Cryptic may take some blame, Atari STILL is to blame for many of their issues as well. it can't be denied that Cryptic could only do so much with the orders and choices of their owners

so yeah... appealing a company to appeal to your version of honesty, not the common one... not a good thing. just saying

That's just the thing. Cryptic didn't take ANY blame. They said it was ALL Atari's fault. It's always someone else's fault is my point. If Cryptic had even take a sliver of ownership in their shortcomings instead of blaming someone else I'd have some respect for that. Instead Atari is the scapegoat and evildoer and Cryptic is the innocent bystander held hostage by their purse strings.

Lets revisit some other excuses shall we?

Oh this game didn't launch with content because we only had 2 years to develop it. Well whose fault is that? Surely not the company going after the license to develop the game in only 2 years? It must be someone else.

Oh we don't have enough staff so we can't make content. Really? Because 2010 was filled with NEW content. A ton of development time in 2011 was spent redoing a rushed game and rushed game mechanics.
STF's and ground combat and the economy just to name three. How much dev time is going to be spent in 2012 redoing features/ content such as crafting and other things instead of adding new content? Looks like a significant amount according to Dev blogs.

My point is there will always be another excuse and someone else to blame as long as Cryptic avoids taking any ownership whatsoever in their shortcomings as a company. I don't want spin/ damage controll. I want honesty. That's what breeds a loyal and happy customer base. I'm sure many others feel the same.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Quote:
The thing about "gimmicks" like this is that they loose their appeal real fast. You have to vary them a bit, or constantly add more and more "epic" items to keep people interested in taking a chance on them.

Say if they add another ship in the next one as an example, there will be those that might not fancy said ship. So the consolation prizes as it were, would have to have appeal too.
The Borg/holographic Bridge officers and the pets have pretty much saturated the payer base. You can still get most of them still fairly easy on the exchange for those that missed them.
I doubt adding these items again would have the same draw.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with for the next one, Someone's going to have to come up with something clever and new.

I understand that Champions has these grab bags too. It would be interesting to know how well they sell, or how popular they are over there.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohNyNorMuS View Post
wow what an interesting article. Too bad Cryptic chooses to shift blame to their old scapegoat nemesis, Atari. I suggest next time trying to own up to your mistakes and short comings as a development team and company instead of passing the blame. Your player base is more receptive to honesty.
Honest has not been one of Cryptic's strong points. Atari has not been the cause the content drought since June, so is it PW fault? I highly down it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Guys, Cryptic isn't stupid. Now that the game is F2P, they know they have to work more on content.

The only reason for the Content Drought of 2011 is that they were polishing the game up for the incoming F2Pers. Now that that's done, they can finally work on content.

I loved the Romulan FE series. I hope the next one is even better.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan
Again. Talk is cheap, i'll believe it when i see the changes happening across the board not just a few missions to "placate" the masses. I do understand the issue with dealing with parent companies and there's a lot that goes behind the scenes that has little to do with the actual operation of the game but still affects it. Money and head count is the root of a lot of this. Hopefully they can start hiring a full team now and start delegating the teams to specific areas of the game.

Amen to that! This should have been done before F2P and is the only way to be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
What I do know is that I will not be wasting any more C-Points with grab bags.

I can live with Grab Bags, but what I do very much Object to is to make one of the best ships in the entire game a super rare only obtainable via the Grab Bag.

Grab bag ships should NEVER be superior in any way to the normal fare available to players.
They should be valued as collectors item and not a tactical edge over your enemies.
It is not fair, and its not even Pay 2 Win, its much worse.

I removed my credit card info from my account do this and another crappy restart of the game. A incomplete game at the second time around almost 2 years later is really bad no matter how you look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohNyNorMuS View Post
That's just the thing. Cryptic didn't take ANY blame. They said it was ALL Atari's fault. It's always someone else's fault is my point. If Cryptic had even take a sliver of ownership in their shortcomings instead of blaming someone else I'd have some respect for that. Instead Atari is the scapegoat and evildoer and Cryptic is the innocent bystander held hostage by their purse strings.

Lets revisit some other excuses shall we?

Oh this game didn't launch with content because we only had 2 years to develop it. Well whose fault is that? Surely not the company going after the license to develop the game in only 2 years? It must be someone else.

Oh we don't have enough staff so we can't make content. Really? Because 2010 was filled with NEW content. A ton of development time in 2011 was spent redoing a rushed game and rushed game mechanics.
STF's and ground combat and the economy just to name three. How much dev time is going to be spent in 2012 redoing features/ content such as crafting and other things instead of adding new content? Looks like a significant amount according to Dev blogs.

My point is there will always be another excuse and someone else to blame as long as Cryptic avoids taking any ownership whatsoever in their shortcomings as a company. I don't want spin/ damage controll. I want honesty. That's what breeds a loyal and happy customer base. I'm sure many others feel the same.

I think you are right on the money. Cryptic lacks proper goals and management. Their first goal should had be to complete the Klingon Faction and to provide more meat to the game with content. In my opinion with content as is, there should only be 30 to 35 levels.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-24-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm amused that Cryptic can keep spouting the same crap every time with a smile on their face like 'Yah! Now thing's will be GREAT, just watch guys, we're all PUMPED!"

And then it's the same old horse squeeze, more excuses, less content, more C-Store crap.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info Cryptic! Looking forward to more of the grab bags and seeing what you have in store for the Foundry. Keep up the good work!