Lt. Commander
For those who do not know the term "Online Persistency" within MMO; it simply means an area of the game that can be affected by players, it changes but does not revert back to it's original state. This is part of territory control games.

The new MechWarrior Online is going to be Online Persistent or have "Online Persistency" as the MechWarrior FAQ states but I'm not even sure persistency is a word. Anyway it is probably a major part of the game and reaction is seriously positive.

Why does Startrek Online not have a persistent arena?

Battlestar Galactic 3D browser game is massive and that is all about taking asteroids, sending a vessel to mine them dry and controlling the space around them. In that game water is the top resource, that is the resource that leads to buying from the games store, it leads to the ultimate upgrades. Players fight over water asteroids in groups of 25 v 25, the battles can be intense.

In STO it would obviously be dilithium. Cryptic can you not at least try a simplified version, an zone with a moon, a mining operation on it allowing a single instance which can be monitored? Players would need to beam down away teams to take control of it much like we had in a PvP map once so I know that is easy to do.

A single running instance with a limit of 10 v 10, VA players.

When are we going to get anything to play in STO? I've already tried SWTOR and I like it but I'm going to wait until it gets a year of improvements because I want my experience on it to be the best first time around unlike STO.

Now I'm seriously eyeing up MechWarrior because unlike STF's in STO every battle won't be the same and lets face it. After 2 years of playing STO all we have now is STF's.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-24-2012, 05:10 AM
Well...obviously it's because they haven't put something like that in the game. I'm sure many people will agree the lack of a persistent open "world" PvP where you fight over systems is one thing that is seriously lacking from the game. Hopefully something along these lines is in the works, along with more storyline content (which is an entirely separate issue).
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-24-2012, 05:20 AM
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=248679

As Heretic has pointed out this is going to be a huge project(s) and will take time but apparently is on the devs radar. I'm not 100% sure this is what you are referring to however, but that's what in the news for updates regarding PvP so far.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-24-2012, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavase
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=248679

As Heretic has pointed out this is going to be a huge project(s) and will take time but apparently is on the devs radar. I'm not 100% sure this is what you are referring to however, but that's what in the news for updates regarding PvP so far.
We need something right now. Something simple, 100 instances, faction wide buffs that decrease or increase based on the 100 instances control. A single objective to capture in the instances. It can't be hard to create.

Doff is being played using MACRO. You can have a MACRO access 10 characters and apply 20 assignments all day long for a week to end up with millions of EC in the value of items plus more doffs and dilithium. Cadre alone are worth over 100k right now, imaging 10 characters on auto pilot on the doff system. That is how simple doff is, as much as I think every game needs something like doff it is not real play time that I pay a subscription for.

Why play something your computer can do for you? lol The buffs the doff system gives is great, but I would have been far happier to be earning such buffs in something that is playable like territory control. Capture a science lab for some sort of science buff plus get one over on the the other faction.

Who decided the doff system should be a priority over something fun like that?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-24-2012, 05:43 AM
how do you want to make a game with INSTANCES have a persistent environment?
If there are 20 Instances of the same map something else will happen in every instance, so when you log in tomorrow you would see something else in that map anyway because now you are in instance 5 instead of instance 15 which is the one you played on yesterday.

Either you have everyone on one map, which means there needs to be a player CAP so it doesn't get overpopulated and at those times you would not be able to enter it.

Or you take the multiple Server approach where you have one *instance* of the whole world per server.
But therefore you need to split up the Playerbase, and personally i'd rather have the option to play with every player who is online when the population is low. In DCUO they had multiple servers and when the population dropped down after the first 30 days it felt like a ghost town.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-24-2012, 06:01 AM
This is why I loved playing Neverwinter nights online. Not an MMO of course but multiplayer in persistent worlds ( made by the fanbase ) I still will put money on that being a better experience from all those years than whatever Cryptic churn out for champions / STO ground combat in a Neverwinter skin online.

If they think the Star Trek fanbase can be rabid when they get annoyed just wait until they have upset thousands of basement-dwelling hardcore RPG AD&D fans if they don't stick to the ruleset to the letter They ain't seen nothing yet

Persistent worlds are excellent. Although difficult to implement on a large scale.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-24-2012, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
Why does Startrek Online not have a persistent arena?
Because this game chose to develop in other ways, including but not limited to, the genesis system of exploration misson generation, the Duty Officer system, FPS style ground combat, Diplomacy, transition between character model as a ship and character model as a human-ish avatar, pet AI for your bridge officers, etc, etc, etc.

The persistent arena just isn't anything that the development team has put on their radar in 2 years or so.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The persistent arena just isn't anything that the development team has put on their radar in 2 years or so.
And be glad for that cause else you would have instead of "bwahh there is no pvp contnet" this "bwahhh faction imbalance thread number 1213512359"

And you know its true. :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-24-2012, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBANG View Post
how do you want to make a game with INSTANCES have a persistent environment?
If there are 20 Instances of the same map something else will happen in every instance, so when you log in tomorrow you would see something else in that map anyway because now you are in instance 5 instead of instance 15 which is the one you played on yesterday.

Either you have everyone on one map, which means there needs to be a player CAP so it doesn't get overpopulated and at those times you would not be able to enter it.

Or you take the multiple Server approach where you have one *instance* of the whole world per server.
But therefore you need to split up the Playerbase, and personally i'd rather have the option to play with every player who is online when the population is low. In DCUO they had multiple servers and when the population dropped down after the first 30 days it felt like a ghost town.
It's easy.

The result of the instances, combine to a faction/game wide effect. Maths. It's just another approach and one probably closer in possibility than persistent

Besides do you actually believe Cryptic and this game can pull of persestent instances rather than persistent outcomes? Like 50 vs 50 across what 20 maps? I doubt it, there will be serious issues no matter how long they spend working on it.

People will know bugs the day they try to launch something like that. What I propose uses existing instances and zones but combines the outcome for the overall effect to be applied.

Right now we have the Borg Red Alert so combined the outcome from all instances played and determine, did the Federation get wiped out or did they not?
Lt. Commander
# 10 PvP Faction Wide Score
01-24-2012, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot2
This is why I loved playing Neverwinter nights online. Not an MMO of course but multiplayer in persistent worlds ( made by the fanbase ) I still will put money on that being a better experience from all those years than whatever Cryptic churn out for champions / STO ground combat in a Neverwinter skin online.

If they think the Star Trek fanbase can be rabid when they get annoyed just wait until they have upset thousands of basement-dwelling hardcore RPG AD&D fans if they don't stick to the ruleset to the letter They ain't seen nothing yet

Persistent worlds are excellent. Although difficult to implement on a large scale.
Yes they will be hard to implement which is why they should be using what the game already has to pull of something different but still exciting.

I suppose I'm asking for...

PvP with a faction wide score. The score would be a percentage out of 100 in order to determine what faction gets the higher faction wide bonus per minute or I bet they could begin totally PvP scores tomorrow and calculate a daily winner resulting in a faction wide buff for the day.