Lt. Commander
This is great news! I'm pleased Cryptic is releasing the Flagships this way.

I can't wait until we see stats. I hope the ships live up to expectations!

I'm happy to see Q will be back with daily prizes. I expect Cryptic learned from last year's Fountain Fiasco, so I think this year's fun should be... uh... funner.

I'm really looking forward to the Event. So much so, I just requested (and got approved, thank ye very much, Boss) that Friday/Monday off from work. Woot woot!

It's funny, cuz I'm going to jump through hoops to get the daily Q prizes and Flagship unlocks for my 19 toons, and when the latter end up in the C-Store, I'll still also end up buying the P2W T+1 variant/refit/retrofit (whatever you call it) (assuming they're account-wide unlocks, of course) version. I hope, too, that there's a Year Two accolade. That would be sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-A-T-H-F-I-N-D-E-R View Post
bortaS (no capital B) = revenge (direct translation)

The new ship is not the Vengence-class but the Revenge-class.
I don't speak Klingon myself, but out of curiosity, do you mean:

1) Bortas = Revenge and bortaS = Vengeance
2) bortaS = Revenge and Bortas = nothing

Also to be contemplative (not argumentative), I don't see much difference in meaning between revenge and vengeance (and avenge, for that matter). I understand there are suble contextual differences, as well as grammatical rule issues on how you use them, but their definitons seem rather synonymous to me. Or at least such that when translating between languages you could interpret between these words interchangeably depending on a given circumstance.

And finally, while I could see the Romulans having a Revenge class, as they're homeworld was destroyed and they want retribution, what exactly is the event that caused the High Council to name their flagship class after the ideal of taking revenge for it? Upon what are they seeking vengeance? Not to mention revenge/vengance seems so reactive to me. That's not to say Klings don't restore honor to the fallen via revenge, but Klingons seem more a proactive race. It would seem to me they'd name it whatever words mean: Mighty Warrior or Great Hunter.

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself clearly. I like the sound of BortaS (make both parties happy, lol), but don't really like it's meaning (again, why/upon what are they taking vengance?). I'd much rather the KDF Flagship class be the Kicks-Aft-And-Takes-Name class (can anyone translate that for me?). It would seem so much better.
Lt. Commander
# 212
01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
This ship is worth calling in "sick" for. Ive been waiting for it since it was announced. The klingon one sounds just as promising, I'll have to get them both. Only thing I'm worried about is the bridge station layout.
Lt. Commander
# 213
01-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
[color="Magenta"][b]1) Bortas = Revenge and bortaS = Vengeance
The Klingon alphabet is actually different from ours with different letters, ways of spelling, etc.

Spelling is bortaS which via several sources means revenge.

No capital B as that letter doesn't exist in the Klingon language but the "S" is capitalized as that's the letter for it.

Just relating a bit from the Klingon alphabet.

And I agree ... It can be like splitting hairs, but for me ... it means revenge.

Now then ...

Quote:
I'm not sure I'm explaining myself clearly. I like the sound of BortaS (make both parties happy, lol), but don't really like it's meaning (again, why/upon what are they taking vengance?). I'd much rather the KDF Flagship class be the Kicks-Aft-And-Takes-Name class (can anyone translate that for me?). It would seem so much better.
I took it to mean that the class ship was named after the I.K.S. bortaS which was .... Gowron's flagship.

Of course, that might simply have be another way of looking at it beyond the definition.
Lt. Commander
# 214
01-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLAK47 View Post
This has probably already been asked, but after the event is over, do those who have the actual ship (not the token) get to keep it for all eternity?
Once you've earned it on a character, it's with that caharcter until you de-commission it, or delete said character. What will be 'dissapearing' after the 4 day STO second anniversary event will be the ability for other characters to earn th ship for free (and that my or may not be permanent.)

Also, while a character can't use/fly it until Level 50 - if you earn it and are under Level 50 - you'll get an item you can hold in your inventory/bank until you're 50 - at which point you can go an claim the ship for that character.
Lt. Commander
# 215
01-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
This is great news! I'm pleased Cryptic is releasing the Flagships this way.

I can't wait until we see stats. I hope the ships live up to expectations!

I'm happy to see Q will be back with daily prizes. I expect Cryptic learned from last year's Fountain Fiasco, so I think this year's fun should be... uh... funner.

I'm really looking forward to the Event. So much so, I just requested (and got approved, thank ye very much, Boss) that Friday/Monday off from work. Woot woot!

It's funny, cuz I'm going to jump through hoops to get the daily Q prizes and Flagship unlocks for my 19 toons, and when the latter end up in the C-Store, I'll still also end up buying the P2W T+1 variant/refit/retrofit (whatever you call it) (assuming they're account-wide unlocks, of course) version. I hope, too, that there's a Year Two accolade. That would be sweet.

I don't speak Klingon myself, but out of curiosity, do you mean:

1) Bortas = Revenge and bortaS = Vengeance

Also to be contemplative (not argumentative), I don't see much difference in meaning between revenge and vengeance (and avenge, for that matter). I understand there are suble contextual differences, as well as grammatical rule issues on how you use them, but their definitons seem rather synonymous to me. Or at least such that when translating between languages you could interpret between these words interchangeably depending on a given circumstance.

And finally, while I could see the Romulans having a Revenge class, as they're homeworld was destroyed and they want retribution, what exactly is the event that caused the High Council to name their flagship class after the ideal of taking revenge for it? Upon what are they seeking vengeance? Not to mention revenge/vengance seems so reactive to me. That's not to say Klings don't restore honor to the fallen via revenge, but Klingons seem more a proactive race. It would seem to me they'd name it whatever words mean: Mighty Warrior or Great Hunter.

... Pup'em je nge' pong = kick behind and take name
Lt. Commander
# 216
01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
bortaS = Revenge
nejpu' = vengeance, revenge
http://mughom.wizage.net/
Lt. Commander
# 217
01-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBANG View Post
it's the 1701-F officially signed off by Cryptic and therefore FULL CANON (so we may see other products in the future featuring it, like Books, Comics, etc. -> or has that changed? Why not promote it like that?)
STO isn't canon. Neither is the NCC-1701-F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Askray
No need to be a jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoodcock01 View Post
Oh yes, not before those Tribbles are beamed to your ship and cripple you old friend. :p
That should be a new Boff ability.
Lt. Commander
# 218
01-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Can someone remind me what the fountain fiasco was?
Lt. Commander
# 219
01-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
No need to be a jerk.
And no need for personal insults either.
Lt. Commander
# 220
01-25-2012, 12:18 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Askray