Lt. Commander
If you're a lifer and you have tried to get a refund for your lifetime subscription, I'd love to hear your story.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Errrr, Why has this been moved to PC & Technical issues <from> general discussions?

I really don't understand how this question is PC issue or a Technical issue... It's an invitation for other STO players to tell me their stories...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkingAngel
Errrr, Why has this been moved to PC & Technical issues <from> general discussions?
I wonder...

In short, if you didn't ask for the money back within 30 days of the game launching, (to cover the free time from the retail client), you don't have a chance.

Back in the day, a lot of players called customer service to get refunds in the first month, mainly due to the usual 'Friday Folly' efforts of Marcom. The nasty part being players were told they had until Thursday 4th March 2010 to cancel; (30 days from launch); then having that redacted on Monday 1st March once the weekend cancellation numbers came in.

So yeah, starting as they mean to carry on.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-25-2012, 03:03 AM
Someone started a thread about the Delta Flyer. A few of us replied to the thread. However, reading some peoples comments I got wondering about our lifetime memberships.

1 person said something a long the lines of...

'You have to accept the terms and conditions each time you login.'

Another said said something like...

''The game changes all the time, that's the nature of an MMO.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I paid for a lifetime membership at a gym once. The lifetime membership gave me unlimited access to any of their gyms across the country. After a few years they sold the gyms to another company, which didn't honor my lifetime subscription. They told me I could still use my local gym for free but I would have to pay for extras, like using other gyms, for using the new sauna room, using lockers etc... I managed to get a full refund on my lifetime membership for the gym. Which has now been closed down completely... Maybe I wasn't the only 1.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thinking about this and peoples comments on the forums about how the game has changed made me think about our lifetime subscriptions.

When I paid for a lifetime, there wasn't a C-Store, I had unrestricted access to everything in the game.

Now I don't have access to many 'extra's' that come with the game. I can't craft like I used to be able to. I can't even buy items I used to be able to buy in the game with energy credits. I now wouldn't even have to pay a monlthy subscription if I wasn't already a lifetime member. I don't get a free ship with my last character rank.

Now I have to spend weeks grinding dilithum to get my last rank ship, I have to spend weeks ginding dilithum to craft a few items. I have to spend weeks grinding dilithum to exchange to get access to those 'extra's'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This leads me to ask the question again, has anyone asked for a refund on their lifetime membership since they purchased it... If so I'd like to hear your story.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Someone started a thread about the Delta Flyer. A few of us replied to the thread. However, reading some peoples comments I got wondering about our lifetime memberships.

Now looking at the legal 'Terms of Use' document (which by playing the games, is implied agreement to its terms...) says...
Quote:
7. Your Right to Cancel Your Account. You have the right to cancel your Account at any time. You understand and agree that, except as expressly provided by law, the cancellation of your Account is your sole right and remedy with respect to any dispute with Cryptic. This includes, but is not limited to, any dispute related to, or arising out of: (a) this Agreement or our enforcement or application of this Agreement; (b) the Materials, the Software or the Service provided through the Site or any change therein; (c) your ability to access and/or use the Software or the Service; or (d) the amount or type of fees, surcharges, applicable taxes, billing methods or any change to the fees, applicable taxes, surcharges or billing methods.

Cryptic reserves the right to collect fees, surcharges or costs incurred before you cancel your Account(s). In the event that your Account is terminated, suspended or canceled, no refund will be granted; no online time or other credits or in-game items (e.g., points in an online game) will be credited to you or converted to cash or other form of reimbursement, and you will have no further access to your Account or anything associated with it (such as points, tokens or in-game items).
http://www.startrekonline.com/terms_of_service
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I paid for a lifetime membership at a gym once. The lifetime membership gave me unlimited access to any of their gyms across the country. After a few years they sold the gyms to another company, which didn't honor my lifetime subscription. They told me I could still use my local gym for free but I would have to pay for extras, like using other gyms, for using the new sauna room, using lockers etc... I managed to get a full refund on my lifetime membership for the gym. Which has now been closed down completely... Maybe I wasn't the only 1.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thinking about this and peoples comments on the forums about how the game has changed made me think about our lifetime subscriptions.

When I paid for a lifetime, there wasn't a C-Store, I had unrestricted access to everything in the game.

Now I don't have access to many 'extra's' that come with the game. I can't craft like I used to be able to. I can't even buy items I used to be able to buy in the game with energy credits. I now wouldn't even have to pay a monlthy subscription if I wasn't already a lifetime member. I don't get a free ship with my last character rank.

Now I have to spend weeks grinding dilithum to get my last rank ship, I have to spend weeks ginding dilithum to craft a few items. I have to spend weeks grinding dilithum to exchange to get access to those 'extra's'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This leads me to ask the question again, has anyone asked for a refund on their lifetime membership since they purchased it... If so I'd like to hear your story.
I have not (nor will I), however your lifetime account granted you access to Star Trek Online for the lifetime of the game. It did not make any promises of changes to the game itself.