Lt. Commander
# 21
01-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
the only similarity between the galaxy in game and the one in the shows is that they look similar. the galaxy is the largest the most power battleship star fleet has ever created, it was designed wile the federation was fighting 3 wars, and it has yet to be topped by anything canon or soft canon. its completely modular inside allowing for striped down battleship variants, decedent luxury cruise ship variants (this was the D, the flagship has to be stunning after all), and literally anything in between. its weapons are without peer, it has the 2 largest and highest burst capacity torpedo launchers of any ship class, and the longest most powerful phaser arrays.
I 100% agree.
The Galaxy Class was especially build to be highly modular and to be refitted every 10 Years or so, with a estimated lifetime of 100+ years.
There was absolutely no need for another top of the ladder Battleship in Starfleet (in universe).
The Producers of ST:8 just felt that they needed something more fitting for the big picture .
Especially something that resembles more Kirks ship (absurdly oversized and exposed nacells, i just hate them), so that everyone in the theatre notices "oh yeah that must be star trek" .

In STO the Galaxy should be similar flexible to configure, its Lt. Cmdr Slot should be universal IMHO (similar to the Nebula Class) and there should be much more ship parts (at least the celestial and the Envoy class), to make every ship even more individual.

The most important point is:
I think that the Devs highly underestimate the significance of maneuverability, a ship that is virtually unable to maneuver (regardless how much other qualities it has) is just not that useful (and NOT fun at all!) in Combat.period

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
throughout tng it was always written as the underdog because there wouldn't have been any suspense otherwise. in generations the script called for the D to die, they had a real convenient bop explosion effect they made for the last movie, and they were to cheap to give the D a real opponent so bop it is! that single full array discharge phaser blast fired at the bop should have been like an anti material round through an engine block, killing it dead in 1 hit. the single torpedo did the same thing soon after.
That was the most undeserving and cheap starship death i have seen in my life. I mean that ship, which first encountered the Borg (the "real" Borg not those morons that calles themselves borg in Voyager ) and survived (at J25), geting killed by an ancient BOP?
If they would have shot just one torpedo Burst, that BOP would have been erased out of history after 3 seconds!
I don't want to know what the producers have been smoking, but i want it myself....
Seriously, they should have just refitted that ship, just like the Enterprise (1701) in the Motion Picture, if they felt that its shape wouldn't fit to the big screen.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Just a had run on KA normal with my galaxy running 2x 26% phaser arrays and 2x 3.5 weapon power booster full maco vet kit 35% shield booster and 35% plasma resist amour.
Ships shields were eaten alive by 2 spheres and ship was almost destroyed without assistance. My mvam without splitting my Sovvie defiant and nebula could handle both spheres on normal setting and stop probes heading for the portal.
This is how under powered the galaxy is and why we need another tact console and better tact bridge officer station
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Just a had run on KA normal with my galaxy running 2x 26% phaser arrays and 2x 3.5 weapon power booster full maco vet kit 35% shield booster and 35% plasma resist amour.
Ships shields were eaten alive by 2 spheres and ship was almost destroyed without assistance. My mvam without splitting my Sovvie defiant and nebula could handle both spheres on normal setting and stop probes heading for the portal.
This is how under powered the galaxy is and why we need another tact console and better tact bridge officer station
With my Sovvie I use the same console layout other than the weapon boosters I was also running epw2&3 the only boff difference between my Sovvie and galaxy is thy 1
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-26-2012, 08:05 AM
While I don't believe for a second that the Galaxy is at the top of the food chain, I would have to agree that the R, at the very least, is underpowered in comparison to some of the other ships. TNG and The Odyssey not withstanding, there was a definite push, at least in DS9, to upgrade the Galaxy Class, to the extent that it was a powerhouse during the war.

The R could do with a little more teeth, imo.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries2507 View Post
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?

i love the Galaxy X, and when i get it borged up and geared....well.....much messiness will happen soon after

i mean it has three nacelles THREE OF EM!!!
Which reminds me... Where's my three nacelled sovereign with extra tac slots and spinal lance???!!!

Not everyone will know, but in Star Fleet Battles (a tabletop miniatures game set inthe TOS era) adding a third nacelle to beefed up cruisers was the usual way to make Fed Battleships. Its why the Galaxy-X was such a treat to old time trek fans, even if you didn't play Star Fleet Battlles you knew of the Fed battleships, or at the very least had seen them in tech readouts or even an STO novel. I am told even the spinal lance was based off the SFB's starbase phasers.

Needless to say I was dissappointed Cryptic shoose not to continue adding third nacelles to ships, I think a three naceles sovereign with a better tac console and boff allocation would fit the bill for a modern trek Battleship that could stand up to anything, and would fit as the "cool" counter the Klingon's "cool" carriers.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyokaze14
Which reminds me... Where's my three nacelled sovereign with extra tac slots and spinal lance???!!!

Not everyone will know, but in Star Fleet Battles (a tabletop miniatures game set inthe TOS era) adding a third nacelle to beefed up cruisers was the usual way to make Fed Battleships. Its why the Galaxy-X was such a treat to old time trek fans, even if you didn't play Star Fleet Battlles you knew of the Fed battleships, or at the very least had seen them in tech readouts or even an STO novel. I am told even the spinal lance was based off the SFB's starbase phasers.

Needless to say I was dissappointed Cryptic shoose not to continue adding third nacelles to ships, I think a three naceles sovereign with a better tac console and boff allocation would fit the bill for a modern trek Battleship that could stand up to anything, and would fit as the "cool" counter the Klingon's "cool" carriers.
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com...ereign_X;24808

There you go
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaishin
I am OP. This argument is not valid. Galaxy-X works fine and is a monster in the proper hands.

Any upgrade in strength, while I wouldn't shun it, would mean there wouldn't be a player or ship in game capable of standing a chance in hell.

/thread
Horse hockey!!! Your ship STILL has no, and never WILL have, cupholders. Your ship is inferior!!! It also has no Cryptic Ponies.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I dunno, that third nacelle isn't that endearing to me as much as I thought it would.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
I dunno, that third nacelle isn't that endearing to me as much as I thought it would.
It's the SovX... and I can tell you from first hand expirience, it lives up to its name/design.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
The game has to balance ships a certain way and stick to that balance, as was mentioned before. I think the Galaxy's and all the variants are done well.

As far as a SovX, I like the way the U.S.S. Premonition looked from the Armada game. Though the third 'time warp' nacelle could be reduced by half and made into a 'slip stream/transwarp nacelle'.

And as for a dream BO lay out for it, Com Eng, Lt. Eng, LtC Tactical, Lt Sci, Eng Sci

Seems balanced to me.