Lt. Commander
Hello,

First I would like you to be aware (if you're not already) that when CaptainGeko aka Al Rivera was interviewed recently in PodcastUGC - Episode 47 (click)...

At 110m 45s into the interview he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
Other things that I want to do... is, I want to redo Kits! I don't like, and I hope the players will share this sentiment, it's probably the first time that I've actually really talked about this and that is you know, one Kit has up to four powers on it. I'm an Engineer I always go for the Turret, Shield Generator and the Health Generator and the Chroniton Mines, I like those... but there's some great Engineering powers out there that I'll never use.

I would probably drop one of those... so I actually want to take Kits and split them out into...

Every level, each rank you get another Kit slot but every Kit has one power, so now you have Kits with four powers and that'll be split into four items. That way you can mix and match items from whatever, so I want a Quick Fix Kit and I want a Shield Generator Kit and I want a whatever... you can mix them all up!

So that's something, a little side thing I want to do with Kits and that'll allow us then to more easily make a new Kit without having to make it with four powers. So here's just one new power and you can mix and match that. So now that allows us to tie that into crafting...
PLEASE NOTE: Everything mentioned in this interview is subject to change and NOT set in stone.

CaptainGeko then goes on to talk about the Fleet Advancement System...

SO! Have you played Cryptic's Champions Online (CO) game or read anything about it? CO has a system that allows players to create what they call "Freeform Builds" and what that means is players who have access to create Freeform Builds can mix and match powers, but note that Silver players don't have access to this.

To me, from listening to what he was saying about the revision of Kits, is that basically we'll be allowed a type of "Freeform Build"... perhaps not to the extent of CO which allows you to mix and match powers from each archetype, but at least with our own character class.

Please also state as constructively as possible your thoughts on the positive and negative aspect of this proposed change, and if you like consider the implications of mixing Kit powers from all three class of character type (Tac/Eng/Sci).

Thanks for reading and enjoy the discussion!

P.S. I'll keep my personal opinion on this simple and that is I love the idea of being able to choose any Kit powers available to my character class, though I haven't thought to much about mixing powers from each class, but don't believe Silvers should have access to pick'n mix Kits.

/Edit

Adding a helpful link here: http://www.stowiki.org/Kits

Now here's a little task for you, pick a character class and tell us which powers you would mix and match, should be fun seeing the results.

Random Creative Questions to Answer (if you want to):
  1. Do you think Silver players should have access to "Freeform" Kits or should that be only for Gold players?

2. Should Kit powers from all three class of character type (Tac/Eng/Sci) be available to all?

3. We have a total of 42 Kit powers, do we need/want more?

4. If you could create a Kit power, what would it do?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-25-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm all for "freedom kits." I also think there should be Gold/Silver divide as well. Gold members get the ability to customize the kits while Silver members get default kits. Adds another layer of value to the Gold membership.

I will add, however, that the default kits do need a once over. Some of them have become next to useless thanks to the faster ground combat. In a lot of cases, I barely have time to even activate a skill before the enemy is dead. They need to target the entire enemy unit and not just the targeted enemy.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-25-2012, 08:46 AM
I'd be inclined to see free form builds here as allowing multiclassing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
SO! Have you played Cryptic's first MMO...?
Yes I have! It was called City of Heroes.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PofusP
Yes, the question is did he play their first MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PofusP
Was it? Oop's my bad, well I'll go fix that, CO is the second MMO is it? lol So sorry...
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Wow, that was insightful.

But back on topic, I think they should scale them. Let's do this:
LT: Default kits. No custom slots.
LTC: 1 custom slot
CPT: 2 custom slots
VA: 3 custom slots

So that way the default kits still serve a purpose and your ability to customize increases with rank. But still, this should only apply to Gold players.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
I'm all for "freedom kits." I also think there should be Gold/Silver divide as well. Gold members get the ability to customize the kits while Silver members get default kits. Adds another layer of value to the Gold membership.

I will add, however, that the default kits do need a once over. Some of them have become next to useless thanks to the faster ground combat. In a lot of cases, I barely have time to even activate a skill before the enemy is dead. They need to target the entire enemy unit and not just the targeted enemy.
*tips hat* Fully agree with everything, free form kits would definitely add to the game... Especially as our BOFFs are already running custom kits.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
Was it? Oop's my bad, well I'll go fix that, CO is the second MMO is it? lol So sorry...
Depends on perspective actually. The never released Marvel MMO. But it is what became Champions when Marvel pulled the plug. It's more detailed than that but that's the gist.
Lt. Commander
# 10
Don't forget City of Villains.
Closed Thread