Lt. Commander
# 11
01-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob

So that way the default kits still serve a purpose and your ability to customize increases with rank. But still, this should only apply to Gold players.
If they do, it won't be gold exclusive. It will be in the C-Store like everything else. And can get got for a small amount like 1 dollar worth.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammygm View Post
Don't forget City of Villains.
I think many call that an expansion. Sort of like the different GuildWars. They are all standalone (except EotN) but people don't say they are all different MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-25-2012, 09:06 AM
I LOVE this idea. I can't tell you how much it irks me that I pretty much every one of my kits has at least one skill that I simply don't use.

I'm not a real big fan of plasma grenades, - yet my favorite kit contains them. I don't use them very often; I can think of maybe twice when I've thrown one and I think once was because I pushed the wrong icon and meant to click on my stun grenade. If I was given the opportunity to custom build a kit - Beth will be the first in line...
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
If they do, it won't be gold exclusive. It will be in the C-Store like everything else. And can get got for a small amount like 1 dollar worth.
Potato/potato. Gold members get the free form by default and they have a per-character unlock in the C-Store for the silver members. But I still think they need to be worked over either way. The science kits all pretty much suck. So there is need for an overhaul.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
SO! Have you played Cryptic's Champions Online (CO) game or read anything about it? CO has a system that allows players to create what they call "Freeform Builds" and what that means is players who have access to create Freeform Builds can mix and match powers, but note that Silver players don't have access to this.[
Freeform builds used to be the only way to build your character before it went F2P. Silver and F2P is what introduced the set in stone "archetypes."

It's just kind of unsettling to read the way you describe the system since I experienced it long before it went free to play so I kind of view it like from the other side of a reflective surface, if that makes any sense.

Heh.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammygm View Post
Don't forget City of Villains.
Didn't they all eventually go rogue?

Lt. Commander
# 17
01-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Please forgive the original wording of my post in which I was in error, and I've corrected that. This threads not about which MMO Cryptic created first or the companies history but a potential change in one of the most important aspects of STO.

All I ask you now is to keep the thread on topic, I've created this thread for the Dev team to take a look at, so they can get an early idea of the type of feedback the change would receive and perhaps pick up on any good ideas that the community produces as well as any possible bad balance issues in the Freeform Kit concept that players might see.

Thanks again for contributing your opinions on this topic people, it's appreciated by me and I'm sure will be by others.

Cheers,

Alecto
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
P.S. I'll keep my personal opinion on this simple and that is I love the idea of being able to choose any Kit powers available to my character class, though I haven't thought to much about mixing powers from each class, but don't believe Silvers should have access to pick'n mix Kits.
Same here.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-25-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm all for this as well. I'd love to be able to mix/match my kits
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-25-2012, 09:15 AM
I've been suggesting freeform since I first saw that STO was going F2P.

Personally, I hope he makes all the kits neutral, so that any player can use any kit ability (maybe make this exclusive to Gold?). A gold player should, regardless of class, should be able to use phaser turret, medical tricorder, and ambush all at once.

"But that'll be OP!!!" Yeah, and if everyone is able to do it, then everyone will be OP, which means it'll still be balanced. I don't see a problem there.:p
Closed Thread