Lt. Commander
# 11
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJabroni View Post
The returned items are sent to character@handle, not @handle... so your other characters can't even see that mail. The only bug is if you log into a toon with unread item returned mail and leave it unread, you'll get the new mail chirp with every other toon even though you can't access that mail. The workaround for this is to check your mail on the forums.

If you delete a character who still has items posted on the Exchange, I presume the Exchange will keep the items, but when they expire, they disappear as the mail gets sent somewhere that doesn't exist. You likely won't get any energy credits either, as the account with the item doesn't exist. Alternatively, the items on the Exchange are just auto-removed. That's one reason why you should make sure you strip all the valuables you can off toons before you delete them, but this isn't a limitation of the system.
The first paragraph is incorrect as any character can view ALL the email sent to characters of the same faction on the account. The only Email that cannot be viewed is those sent to a different faction (e.g. Fed can't read KDF Email, KDF can't read Fed Mai, though they can view Email sent to the same faction from different Servers... Tribble can read Holodeck Email, Holodeck can read Tribble Emaill) This is easy enough to test yourself if you have a Alt of the same Faction... Just send a Email with attachments from a Email Terminal to the Alt, then see if you can view the arriving Email...

Now the second paragraph, I have seen numerous bug-threads about Email boxes getting spammed by the Exchange server, constantly sending returned items to a character that no longer exists... And I have been very very careful to avoid suffering from this... (If I hear a Email prompt when a character is logging in, I immediatly go to a mail terminal to look for returns, as they arrive in your characters's Email box the moment they log in...) There has been a few cases where I've missed the incoming return email when it first arrived, and had to login/logout of all of my Alts until I find the one responsible for the return to claim it...
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
The first paragraph is incorrect as any character can view ALL the email sent to characters of the same faction on the account. The only Email that cannot be viewed is those sent to a different faction (e.g. Fed can't read KDF Email, KDF can't read Fed Mai, though they can view Email sent to the same faction from different Servers... Tribble can read Holodeck Email, Holodeck can read Tribble Emaill) This is easy enough to test yourself if you have a Alt of the same Faction... Just send a Email with attachments from a Email Terminal to the Alt, then see if you can view the arriving Email...
Uh, yeah, I do this all the time, and the person you were replying to is correct. Mail set to character@handle can ONLY be viewed by that character, but mail sent to @handle can be viewed by all characters on that account, regardless of faction, game, or browser. (Attachments cannot be viewed by characters in other games, or from the browser though.)
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainu
Uh, yeah, I do this all the time, and the person you were replying to is correct. Mail set to character@handle can ONLY be viewed by that character, but mail sent to @handle can be viewed by all characters on that account, regardless of faction, game, or browser. (Attachments cannot be viewed by characters in other games, or from the browser though.)
Your sure on this, as I send Email to Character@Handle all the time so that a single character can post my collected DOFFs on the Exchange. I can claim partially full Emails of DOFFs sent by another character to another character to create a Full DOFF email (to reduce the clutter) all the time..
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
Your sure on this, as I send Email to Character@Handle all the time so that a single character can post my collected DOFFs on the Exchange. I can claim partially full Emails of DOFFs sent by another character to another character to create a Full DOFF email (to reduce the clutter) all the time..
I know the returned items from the Exchange are always sent to character@handle, and I've never been able to see those emails on any other character except the one in question, even on characters on the same faction.

I never actually send mails to myself using character@handle since @handle is shorter to start typing (I don't even use autocomplete since my handle is so short), so if it works differently if a player sends to character@handle, I'm unaware of it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainu
I know the returned items from the Exchange are always sent to character@handle, and I've never been able to see those emails on any other character except the one in question, even on characters on the same faction..
Hmmm, I wonder if the default Email account settings were changed at some point... My account pre-dates the end of the STO Beta...

Though I do agree that the Exchange 'Returned Item' Email does act differently then the normal Email with attachments...
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Mail sent to character@handle is only viewable to that character, which is why Exchange mail is only accessible to one character. It operates the exact same way as any character@handle mail operates with the exception that the Exchange limits itself to one item attachment per mail.

Mail sent to @handle is viewable no matter what toon you're on. Faction doesn't matter. Game or server doesn't matter; I can even view my Champions Online mail while in STO. You just can't send items across servers/games.

The settings did change a while ago... Season 3 or so. Exchange email used to be viewable to the account, but the items could only be taken by the character that put them on the Exchange. I distinctly remember this as I used to run a lot of alts and designated one Fed and one KDF toon to be my Exchange seller. I'd mail all my items to those toons and could easily narrow down which toon I needed to claim which items. The new system is definitely preferable.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJabroni View Post
Mail sent to character@handle is only viewable to that character, which is why Exchange mail is only accessible to one character. It operates the exact same way as any character@handle mail operates with the exception that the Exchange limits itself to one item attachment per mail.
This is not correct. I routinely send stuff between characters using 'character@handle', and those items can be picked up by ANY of my characters. (Yeah, I know I can just use '@handle', but I somehow got into the habit of using 'charcter@handle' with the autocomplete. I guess I don't like pushing the <shift> key to get the '@' symbol, lol). Anyway, exchange mail is different, though, as it seems only the character that listed the item can view and pickup the mail. And, furthermore, I believe that I have sent items to fleetmates/friends using character@handle, and they have been able to pick it up with any of their characters as well.

Try it yourself. Send an item to character@handle, and you will be able to claim it with any character on the account. I will add, though, that the autocomplete only works for alts of the same faction. You can send it to a character@handle of opposite faction, but it will not autocomplete the name for you in the UI.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Try it yourself. Send an item to character@handle, and you will be able to claim it with any character on the account. I will add, though, that the autocomplete only works for alts of the same faction. You can send it to a character@handle of opposite faction, but it will not autocomplete the name for you in the UI.
You're correct.

I distinctly remember when OTHER people sent me stuff via mail to character@handle, only that particular character could access it; I just assumed it was that way when mailing yourself, too. It's been a month or two since that happened, but maybe the system differentiates between sending stuff to one's own account and sending stuff to other accounts?

I don't know, between that and the choosy faction sending with autocomplete, this whole thing seems rather silly.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-28-2012, 03:57 AM
To add to this, either of my current characters can see when I get sent a notification about something being sold or if I mail myself something to transfer gear. The expired auctions only go to the character who listed them. So I'd want to assume that if you address your mails specifically to a character or not it will affect its visibility, but I've sent stuff both specifically from one to the other and generally to just my handle with the same result of seeing both. Perhaps Exchange mail is handled a little differently than player-generated, or as I think we're concluding here mail you send to yourself is given an exception and made visible regardless.

edit: Re-reading this post emphasizes that it's terribly written. But anyway all I'm saying is that there may be some special cases for mail going from your account to your account and when the Exchange is involved.