Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 361
01-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talhydras View Post
And if the Odyssey was made into a ship that could successfully be flown any way you wanted, I appreciate that it would make other ships unnecessary and that would be a Bad Thing. Hell, asking for fast engy/tac fed cruisers is obviously bad because that's kind of a KDF Thing, and I do want them to do their own Thing from time to time.

I just someday want to fly a nice big Federation ship with more than one ltc+ tac power and more than one ltc+ engy power, some beams, some armor, and some turning power. If this isn't the ship to finally do that, hell, that's OK with me. I hope someday there is such a thing - I long for some high DPS play that doesn't rely on shoot and scoot damage spikes.
Why would that be bad? Sounds to me like it was one of the best opportunities to offer something like that... adn opportunity they're pretty much blowing voluntarily.

Why are my golden memories of STO back in the Open Beta days when my ship was a Lieutenant Commander's Vesper-class cruiser, or a Commander's Dakota-class heavy cruiser? Why is it that when I hit Captain levels, piloting a cruiser became un-fun when it was fun before? Why did it have to be that way?

Clearly I'm not even toeing the territory escorts have with their high turn rate - not even close. I'm speaking about previous cruisers, and why leveling up from them meant getting something that was, yes, comparatively a downgrade. I don't even get why the turn rate had to dip down so much when something as massive as a Negh'var gets away with 9. It feels like an inconsistent motive, and done at the expense of fun. I wish it wasn't so; especially considering the wish isn't for a supership - it hardly would be so considering the T5 Excelsior has been around and tolerated.

Basing the Odyssey on the Star Cruiser seems like a poor decision to me. The T5 Excelsior might've been a better, more credible base than even the Excelsior itself, even. Of course, stepping on another ship's role is bad, according to Geko... but hey, the Odyssey is already plainly doing that to the Star Cruiser, and the T5 Excelsior has been giving this treatment to the Sovereign-class Assault Cruisers and it apparently was fine then. Does it matter which is which as long as the end result for the Odyssey is pleasing? (at least then the Sovereign fans could relate as to why the Ent-F kinda outdoes them).

Heck, it could've been based on the Excelsior, but replaced the LtC Tac with a LtC Science too and not step on anyone's toes due to it not having been done before... without moving sluggishly.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 362
01-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Mudd
Then this is the wrong time to be building it. In case you haven't noticed, there's several wars on. The Federation is being pressed hard on all sides. Put the plans away for later (if there is a later) and keep building escorts.

Cryptic has built the whole game around a version of the ST setting at war. For better or worse, that is what this game is about. Devoting significant resources to a new ship class not really suited for that war makes about as much sense as building a fleet of passenger liners and oceanographic vessels in the middle of WW2, instead of carriers and destroyers and landing craft.

In Cryptic's Trek, peaceful explorers get killed by Klingons, manipulated by the Undine and/or Iconians, and eaten by the Borg.

You want a ship not made for war? Then STOP THE WAR.
And who says the Odyssey is not suited for war or combat? Hell ever since encountering the borg in TNG they would have their exploration ships able to hold their own.

AGAIN, I point out the Galaxy class cruiser. It was built for exploration, but was easily able to hold it's own and even was slotted as a battleship in the Dominion war.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 363
01-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Merriman
The reason the Sovy was not mentioned, is because that ship has been available for a while now and there have not been changes with it. The likelihood of the Sovy changing now is remote, while the new Odyssey having some changes made before launch has a greater probability of happening.

I do fly an Excelsior (when I decide to fly a cruiser), and is referenced in my prior post.
The Odyssey is a Star Cruiser, and a very good one at that. Theres no reason to have a "Tactical"/Speed Demon version of it. The chances of a refitted Sovy' probably are remote, but worth suggesting, as the Galaxy has three refits to it. I know a lot of players who would spend C-Store points (2,250 sitting right now for me) who would jump at a chance for a more aggresive +.5 Sovy'.

As far as the Excelsior, I missed your point about it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 364
01-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalavier View Post
And who says the Odyssey is not suited for war or combat? Hell ever since encountering the borg in TNG they would have their exploration ships able to hold their own.

AGAIN, I point out the Galaxy class cruiser. It was built for exploration, but was easily able to hold it's own and even was slotted as a battleship in the Dominion war.
I agree. I think my Sci toon will try it out (probably stay with my Neb' though). I think it will make a GREAT science star cruiser and have plenty of staying power. As far as turn rate? Most cruiser captains use arrays anyways, other than the shield facings issue, it doesnt make much of an argument. If you want it to turn better, throw it in reverse on throw it into the turn and jack the throttle back up. Thats how the Gal-X boys do it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 365
01-28-2012, 03:18 AM
This is going to be a fabulous ship, I don't do the PvP, PvE or STFs but instead play the game guided by the principles of the Federation, exploring the various anomoly clusters, engaging in Diplomatic missions and getting into the odd skirmish with a Romulan Warbird (although I never fire first). Think I might have to get into a big battle and get my current ship destroyed therefore giving me the perfect plotline for a new command.

(Just as a small thought, it would be great if there was a diplomatic option when engaging enemy contacts, a percentage chance of coming to a diplomatic solution vs a firefight)

Happy days
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 366
01-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talhydras View Post

Someday I want to fly a fed ship that has balanced tactical and engineering powers, some turning ability, decent shields, and decent armor. I want to be able to split the difference between healing and buffing and damage.
Perhaps you will get your wish to an extent, when the Ambassador Class is released in the summer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 367
01-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
The Odyssey is a Star Cruiser, and a very good one at that. Theres no reason to have a "Tactical"/Speed Demon version of it. The chances of a refitted Sovy' probably are remote, but worth suggesting, as the Galaxy has three refits to it. I know a lot of players who would spend C-Store points (2,250 sitting right now for me) who would jump at a chance for a more aggresive +.5 Sovy'.

As far as the Excelsior, I missed your point about it.
"I" never said I wanted a tactical speed demon version of the Odyssey. I just answered your question from the previous post, and touched base saying I would have made the Odyssey turn rate slightly higher if I was the developer, either way, it's not a big deal.

I "did" however, mention.... long term, I will totally try an Odyssey out, but with my play-style, the long term choice for me will likely remain an Excelsior because of increased mobility, which was my point.

Not to personally pick on you whamhammer, but understand by what I feel was an answer to a post of yours, I'm not in any way trying to be mean or nasty, so please do not take offense.

I do agree 100% with you on the Sovy front. I also would totally jump at the chance for a more aggressive Sovy if it were offered in C-Store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 368
01-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Merriman
I also would totally jump at the chance for a more aggressive Sovy if it were offered in C-Store.
Same here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 369
01-28-2012, 10:25 PM
has anyone ran a pvp match against to a bortas on tribble or anythign to SEE the results?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 370
01-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeck
(Just as a small thought, it would be great if there was a diplomatic option when engaging enemy contacts, a percentage chance of coming to a diplomatic solution vs a firefight)

Happy days
If there was supposed to be a chance to avoid a conflict, then why is the "big red button" so VERY big????
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:11 AM.