Lt. Commander
# 371
01-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Merriman
"I" never said I wanted a tactical speed demon version of the Odyssey. I just answered your question from the previous post, and touched base saying I would have made the Odyssey turn rate slightly higher if I was the developer, either way, it's not a big deal.

I "did" however, mention.... long term, I will totally try an Odyssey out, but with my play-style, the long term choice for me will likely remain an Excelsior because of increased mobility, which was my point.

Not to personally pick on you whamhammer, but understand by what I feel was an answer to a post of yours, I'm not in any way trying to be mean or nasty, so please do not take offense.

I do agree 100% with you on the Sovy front. I also would totally jump at the chance for a more aggressive Sovy if it were offered in C-Store.
No offense was ever taken. I just wanted to more less less back up what the "intended" purpose of the Odyssey is supposed to be vs the "nimble giant" that some (not neccesarily you) have complained that it isn't. But also was suggested that the Sovy' was a more "realistic" platform for such a vessel.
Lt. Commander
# 372
01-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Regarding the turn rate. Yeah it's a little slow but having flown cruisers from the beginning I can tell you there are a few tricks I've learned. EM3 just isn't for getting away. Just ask my bartender down in 10 forward on my Galaxy-R. He keeps complaining about the the klingon entrails that keep ending up on the windows from all those pesky BOPs I keep vaporizing. Yeah snag em in a tractor beam, drop the throttle to almost zero hit EM and whip around to bring my forward teeth to bear. Then just enjoy the fireworks. Yeah in PvP if they don't get me with a rear alpha strike and actually finish me off....its not pretty. Just saying big cruisers have ways of getting around when they need to.
Lt. Commander
# 373
01-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
Regarding the turn rate. Yeah it's a little slow but having flown cruisers from the beginning I can tell you there are a few tricks I've learned. EM3 just isn't for getting away. Just ask my bartender down in 10 forward on my Galaxy-R. He keeps complaining about the the klingon entrails that keep ending up on the windows from all those pesky BOPs I keep vaporizing. Yeah snag em in a tractor beam, drop the throttle to almost zero hit EM and whip around to bring my forward teeth to bear. Then just enjoy the fireworks. Yeah in PvP if they don't get me with a rear alpha strike and actually finish me off....its not pretty. Just saying big cruisers have ways of getting around when they need to.
Not to mention doing a three point turn (no, really) , especially when the guys flying top speed on your rear

And how did you get a bartender? Next thing youre going to say is that your ship has cupholders too!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 374
01-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Not to mention doing a three point turn (no, really) , especially when the guys flying top speed on your rear

And how did you get a bartender? Next thing youre going to say is that your ship has cupholders too!!!!
Oh yea I have cupholders and a minibar in the ready room. Trick is the chief engineer of the Sol ship yards really likes Romulan Ale. It's amazing what a case of it will get you....LOL
Lt. Commander
# 375 The meaning of "Tank"
01-31-2012, 07:59 AM
I've tried out the Odyssey class on tribble and I have a few things to report:
1. I'ts one heck of a tank, I blew up a cube and was 0.98 kilometers and only went down to 59% hull strength.
2. It steers like a carrier. I've pulled off slides with it's abysmal turn rate and inertia. I'm not recommending anything other than beam arrays and a torp fore and aft on it.
3. The shields hardly ever drop, I rarely have to use one of my shield abilities. (don't shoot me if this doesn't work for you this is just my experience.)
All in all, if you don't mind not being able to pull off a good alpha strike, and don't get bored with long battles, this is a good ship.
(This is just my experience, don't flame me for this.)
Lt. Commander
# 376
01-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
Oh yea I have cupholders and a minibar in the ready room. Trick is the chief engineer of the Sol ship yards really likes Romulan Ale. It's amazing what a case of it will get you....LOL
And with that admission, I formally request the Dev's to nerf Commodore_Stipe, he is obviously OP!!
Lt. Commander
# 377
01-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon.frost
I've tried out the Odyssey class on tribble and I have a few things to report:
1. I'ts one heck of a tank, I blew up a cube and was 0.98 kilometers and only went down to 59% hull strength.
2. It steers like a carrier. I've pulled off slides with it's abysmal turn rate and inertia. I'm not recommending anything other than beam arrays and a torp fore and aft on it.
As a fire support ship, single cannons/turrets should work well also, the cannons have a 180' arc. Plus you can always three point the ship if you need too. If the group stays around the ship, it shouldnt be too hard for the ship to be effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon.frost
3. The shields hardly ever drop, I rarely have to use one of my shield abilities. (don't shoot me if this doesn't work for you this is just my experience.)
All in all, if you don't mind not being able to pull off a good alpha strike, and don't get bored with long battles, this is a good ship.
(This is just my experience, don't flame me for this.)
Well, it is supposed to be a support ship. And it should be a real good one.
Lt. Commander
# 378
01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
And with that admission, I formally request the Dev's to nerf Commodore_Stipe, he is obviously OP!!
Darn... now my secret is out! LOL

/covers head trying to avoid the nerf bat
Lt. Commander
# 379
01-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Nope. Sorry Roach, but you're being myopic here. You'll note I pointed out a number of specific examples of how many primarily KDF players have griped about the ships given (to them and the opposition). As a whole they've been just as "whiny" as the Fed players.

Frequently the problems that players have had with ships on both sides are justified, and frequently not. You're trying to paint one side of being solely guilty of something that's universal. Sorry Roach, but what you're putting out there doesn't equate. The "Red Side" doesn't simply embrace every ship thrown at them as a gift, as seen with:
The Varanus (special ability, turn rate, lack of cloak, Fed copy/paste)
The Guramba (special ability, lack of cloak, Fed copy/paste)
The B'rel Retrofit (durability, Enhanced cloak problems)
The Vo'quv (lack of Sensor Analysis, shields, pet issues)
The Kar'fi (special ability, lack of cloak, turn rate, BOff setup)
The Marauder (special ability, lack of cloak, Fed copy/paste)
The Negh'var (redundant ENS slot)
The Vor'cha Retrofit (Fed copy/paste, no specials)
The Qin (pivot point, redundant ENS slot)
The lack of Sience Vessels, and specifically the BoP's function as one
Each of those vessels were met with any number of complaints (I listed the most common) much like the Odyssey. And for the record, that's just about every T5 KDF vessel listed there (the Hegh'ta isn't, but that gets enough flack just for being ugly and it factors into the SV issue). They weren't simply cherished and loved as gifts.
Each of those vessel where, yes.
The flagship was a gift done on the Devs time only according the the origanol thread on it and that is the reason I give for our overall silence on its limitations.
It was nice to have that Flagship given to us since the feds wehre getting the new Enterprise with all the hoopla that went with it and nothing was scheduled for us.
My post was offering reason on why we where not whining over the flagship only, not a defense of complaints on past vessels.
Lt. Commander
# 380
01-31-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm tempted to load up with a variety of turrets with a CRF and CSV BOff.

Disco Ball of Death FTW!!!