Lt. Commander
# 1 Captain's Log Looks Ahead
01-23-2012, 04:11 PM
In this week's Captain's Log entry, readers learn about Star Trek Online's past, present and future.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-23-2012, 04:17 PM
As long as the team is able to release new content on a regular basis going forward, I can overlook the horrendous content drought of the past. That said, I should clarify the word "content". No matter how many new costumes or ships you add to the game, unless you give people new things to DO with them, they will get bored.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-23-2012, 04:37 PM
wow what an interesting article. Too bad Cryptic chooses to shift blame to their old scapegoat nemesis, Atari. I suggest next time trying to own up to your mistakes and short comings as a development team and company instead of passing the blame. Your player base is more receptive to honesty.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
The story reminds me of the Freem Fifteen, the developers from City of Heroes who were left to work on the game after staff had been relocated and before NCSoft purchased the rest of the IP, creating Paragon Studios and staffing up once again.

Ironically, the company that reduced their staff in favor of working on Marvel Universe Online was Cryptic Studios.

Having gone through the experience as a player, I can say that it's not easy seeing an MMO you like worked on with a shoestring budget and a skeleton crew. I'm hoping that PWE (regardless of my current past qualms with them) can help re-invigorate the game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
As long as the team is able to release new content on a regular basis going forward, I can overlook the horrendous content drought of the past. That said, I should clarify the word "content". No matter how many new costumes or ships you add to the game, unless you give people new things to DO with them, they will get bored.
cryptic seriously does think emote packs and f2p is content. That isn't likely to change.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Interesting words...
Still taking it all with a grain of salt until I see it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-23-2012, 05:38 PM
I guess it boils down to Cryptic thinking that whatever potentially increases revenue is content vs what players generally think of as content. Well, happy and busy players tend to spend more money Cryptic. Just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Good article. I really like Terilynn's writing style, very factual and detailed, without adding bias or reading into comments excessively. It reminds me of professional journalism in a way that doesn't leave me frustrated or questioning the validity of the statements contained within.

In regards to the details:

Somebody previously mentioned the FREEM 15, and until they mentioned it, I hadn't drawn the same correlations, but now I see the connection. If I were less self aware I might say, wow, that is a good parallel that can be drown, and CoH since NCsoft took over development has released a vast array of quality expansions, I must also consider that I stopped playing shortly after the FREEM 15 status was detailed, and as such have only passingly watched CoH. So, while I love a lot of what CoH has done since the acquisition, it is filtered by a cronol compression of their releases, so I like their development of the game but may not have an accurate perception of the rate at which the releases have happened.

Ultimately what it comes down to is this: We have just gone through a major transition, lets see what the cryptic STO team can do. I'm willing to give them a chance, and so are you, if you weren't you wouldn't still be here.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Guys, Cryptic isn't stupid. Now that the game is F2P, they know they have to work more on content.

The only reason for the Content Drought of 2011 is that they were polishing the game up for the incoming F2Pers. Now that that's done, they can finally work on content.

I loved the Romulan FE series. I hope the next one is even better.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-23-2012, 08:18 PM
I like the Captain's Log its straight and to the point without having to listen to a bunch of non-STO related crap for an hour like you do with podcasts.