Lt. Commander
# 1 Kar'Fi vs Varanus
01-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Hi guys just leveled up my Science Officer to VA and I'm agonizing which ship to go with. I've read the threads with the pros and cons of each ship and they seem to be pretty much evenly matched as far as being a good choice either way. Just hoping I might get some opinions on which you might go with as a science officer if you had a choice. They both seem to be a different style of ship to fly as a science officer but both successful in their own ways. If it helps I mostly play solo and PVE, with some STF's thrown in for good measure. Thanks for looking guys and appreciate any advice you can give.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2012, 10:13 AM
I fly the Varanus. I love it. The repair platforms or on a very short cooldown (15 or 20 seconds I think). By the end of an STF I usually have quite a swarm of repair drones flying around healing everyone. The repair drones make the optional for cure a lot easier if you drop some platforms near the kang.

I also have the aceton assimilator from the dragaus. Aceton assimilators + tykens rift + beam target subsystems shields = dead enemy.

I haven't flown the KarFi but I llove my Varanus.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_Chase
I fly the Varanus. I love it. The repair platforms or on a very short cooldown (15 or 20 seconds I think). By the end of an STF I usually have quite a swarm of repair drones flying around healing everyone. The repair drones make the optional for cure a lot easier if you drop some platforms near the kang.

I also have the aceton assimilator from the dragaus. Aceton assimilators + tykens rift + beam target subsystems shields = dead enemy.

I haven't flown the KarFi but I llove my Varanus.
Is there a limit on the amount of platforms you can drop? My brother is interested in flying it, so I thought I'd ask. :^D

Also, how many drones per platform?

Thanks,
Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2012, 04:11 AM
If there is a limit on the number of platforms, I haven't noticed it. The platforms seem to be spawning 2 drones per ship that's near them. I'm not sure how close you have to be, but I always have at least 2 following me.

During an stf someone asked in team chat where all the repair drones were coming from and I was the only Varanus present.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2012, 05:09 AM
The Kar'Fi is my science officer's offensive ship.
I did not get the Varanus, as neat as it looked, though I suspect it would fill a similar role to how I tend to fly the Vo'Quv or my Marauder -- more for support and tossing out heals (though I can set either up as a tank, as well; they cannot match the Kar'Fi, at least not as I've configured so far, for DPS).

So, long story short, which ship I hop into depends on what I am trying to do. I bought the Kar'Fi after being unhappy with my damage contributions in space STF missions, as, at least in normal mode, DPS seems to trump other roles. I have not been disappointed.