Lt. Commander
# 41
01-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorticusCryptic
The Odyssey is a direct relation to the existing Star Cruiser design, taking most of its stats from that base type.

Compared to the Star Cruiser, it has increased Hull and Shields, a more defensive-focused power bonus layout, and two universal bridge officer slots. All of this, and it has only sacrificed turn rate.

The concept of the Star Cruiser, and the Odyssey by extension, is a science-leaning Cruiser build. The Assault Cruiser, by comparison, is more Tactically-focused. Choosing to build the Odyssey off the Star Cruiser instead of the Assault Cruiser was a conscious decision to have the Federation focusing its efforts more towards exploration and scientific study, rather than all-out warfare.

So I guess I'd have to ask you all this -- does anybody use Star Cruisers in PvP? If not, it's obvious that this ship would not be favored by players that enjoy that type of activity. Nonetheless, I believe there's still a portion of the community that will enjoy making use of this ship.
Personally my Boff build for the Dreadnaught cruiser will fit right into the odyssey so I am more than happy with the greater defensive capability's.

Quote:
Devil's Advocate here...

If we gave the Odyssey another Tac console, wouldn't it be seen as just as OP as "The Bug"?
I'm going to play Devs advocate here so to speak. According to an interview (I can't remember the pod cast) the bug is not over powered. So playing Devs advocate adding another tac console to the Odyssey can't make it OP.

Now in my honest opinion I agree it would make the ship a bit over powered just like the bug is. And aside from that I don't see the need for another tactical console the ship looks great. My only question is will it have a power of its own?
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-26-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm hoping for the same boff arrangement for the Klingon battlecruiser, so while the Feds focus on their science and exploration of the unknown galaxy, my battlecruiser can stay focused on kicking the crap out the known galaxy with Rapid Fire II.

What do I know though, I have been pvp healing in a Star Cruiser since launch, and this is the first ship upgrade with my build in mind since launch.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Devil's Advocate here...

If we gave the Odyssey another Tac console, wouldn't it be seen as just as OP as "The Bug"?
Simply swap the Science and Tac console numbers.

3 Sci 2 tac, becomes 2 Sci 3 Tac.

Lt. Commander
# 44
01-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Devil's Advocate here...

Fair question to ask.
Here is a thought, is the Excelsior, Sovereign, Dreadnaught, Neg'Var, Vor'Cha Refit all over powered?
They move faster than the new Odessey, yet each has three tactical consoles. The defense bonus should be a wash against the 1.15 shield cap. If we don't know that as true, then time for testing on Tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Quote:
The concept of the Star Cruiser, and the Odyssey by extension, is a science-leaning Cruiser build. The Assault Cruiser, by comparison, is more Tactically-focused. Choosing to build the Odyssey off the Star Cruiser instead of the Assault Cruiser was a conscious decision to have the Federation focusing its efforts more towards exploration and scientific study, rather than all-out warfare.
Do you even play this game?
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Y
If that extra Sci console was converted into a Tac, it'd be golden. Or, better yet, if it were made into a universal console slot.
What he said.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I thought that after all the controversy over the klis toy consoles we feds would have a starship more offensive than defensive, a kind of super Assault Cruiser able to withstand at least the first cloaked alpha strike and fight back with a great firepower!
A starship capable of chasing the enemy to retaliate, not to stay together with other fed ships awaiting all scared the next attack!
But it's clear now, the Odyssey is a pacifist ship, yeah, we feds come in peace, we are here to explore and study, we love all the aliens, even those that destroy us and teasing us...oh, come on!
We are fighting against formidable foes and I hope all the Tac Captains scream all their disappointment!
Lt. Commander
# 48
The 3-3-3 setup that has been suggested is rather intriguing and seems like it would compliment the Lt.Cmdr uni slot nicely.
Lt. Commander
# 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Yes, if nothing is taken as a result.

If that extra Sci console was converted into a Tac, it'd be golden. Or, better yet, if it were made into a universal console slot.
I totally agree. Despite the open BO layout, the consoles really restrict the Odyssey's function. I'd love to have a cruiser which could be built for multiple roles rather then being pigeon holed, it feels more trekish to perform many functions.
Lt. Commander
# 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexiom
Do you even play this game?
I play the game and completely get what he's saying ... both as a fan of this game since beta and a fan of the franchise.

The ship is as it should be.

Yes ... I'd love the reversing of the tac and sci consoles to 3 Tac and 2 Sci ... or the 3/3/3 consoles ... but I'm still happy with her as is.

At this point in history, the United Federation of Planets stands at a crossroads that is on the edge of the cliff.

They can choose to go warships and for years to come have a military stance with Starfleet becoming a true military arm.

or

They can choose to still keep strong ships but make them so they are definitely exploration centered.