Lt. Commander
# 1 Reason for graphical changes?
01-26-2012, 12:50 PM
So, I'm sitting here in a system, S-572 B to be precise, wondering exactly what all the graphic changes have bought us.

For the record, I'm using a GTX 570 SC video card with the 290.53 drivers, in DX9 mode. (Don;t get me started on DX 11 mode ))

This enemy confrontation mission is one of those with the long, narrow asteroid belt with a planet at one end, and a moon at the other (starting end) As I moved through the mission, the planet came into view, in a progression I will refer to as the "onion peeling effect".

The planet and moon start out virtually invisible, and transparent. As you get closer, you see the effect as the planet/moon gets progressively more detailed, but it doesn't get "solid" until a few layers in. The moon is transparent even longer, which looks bad considering how close to have to get to them before the become solid.

My question is, this isn't a graphical issue we had for the first almost two years of the game. I never had any sort of framerate/lag problems with this system, so I'm not really seeing any benefit to the graphical changes that "balance out" these glaring blemishes, To be fair, I haven't seen any space texture flickering since the first system I checked when this build was on Tribble.

TL;DR version:

1. Why are planets and moons peeling like onions and starting out transparent?
2. Is this some kind of tradeoff for other graphical benefits?
3. Is it going to be fixes, or rather, "unbroken"?

Basically, what did you fix, that wasn't broken in the first place?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Many who were using DX 11 had the transparent planet issue since it was released. I haven't been in game to check to see if that's still the problem for them. They might have fixed it for DX 11 and messed it up for others.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-26-2012, 01:25 PM
I am not using DX11 mode. I'm using DX9.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-26-2012, 01:28 PM
I am aware of that. My point was that it was a problem in DX 11. Based on the patch notes they fixed it for DX 11, but fixing it might have caused a problem with lower DX systems now.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I'm getting that peeling onion effect too. Might be something with render distance?

Good thing is everything else that has been wonky with graphics lately seems to have been fixed with today's patch.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I am aware of that. My point was that it was a problem in DX 11. Based on the patch notes they fixed it for DX 11, but fixing it might have caused a problem with lower DX systems now.
Well yeah, but I'm not turning DX11 mode back on until I see that the black floors/textures bug is fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-26-2012, 04:50 PM
transparent moons were happening last week with DX9. I figured that today's patch fixed that but i've not been in the game to find out. I had pressing business in the pub
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Please, Cryptic, fix this. Here's a screenshot from when I entered a system with today's Tribble build, in DX11 mode. Doesn't look any different in DX9.

Ugh.

On a planet with no nebulae or asteroids, this is even less acceptable. Someone's going to see this and stop playing, without knowing that for close to two years, this obvious graphic flaw was not there.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-27-2012, 10:02 PM
That's on tribble.

Having the same problem on holodeck?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-27-2012, 10:11 PM
I have seen this on DX11 mode, but not in DX9.