Lt. Commander
# 101
01-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO
Well all you call over power. How many have flow either ship?

None. So maybe you should wait till they hit tribble before you start scream end of world.
I don't have to see a pit bull tear a chiwawa to shreds to know which I would rather be.
Lt. Commander
# 102
01-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Excuse my ignorance, for I am not 1337, but what's the balance problem here? The Odyssey has the BOff and console slots to tank more than enough to counter a bortaS alpha, doesn't it?

Another question, while I'm at it; why does no one want Science consoles? I thought those boosted Science powers, which helps Science skills be better? Are they all broken or something? Is that why they're a dump console slot? Because I just don't understand why the Odyssey can have three times the Sci console slots of a bortaS and be that inferior...
I personally do not mind the sci consoles.

Helps boost my sci abilities while also keeping my crew alive. When those crew drop in numbers, I notice that my ship's punch slips a bit with it.
Lt. Commander
# 103
01-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Survivability, as far as consoles go, mainly comes from ENG consoles, not SCI consoles. The Bortas equals the Odyssey here. If they want to have the Odyssey be the survivable one then they should really have the Bortas with fewer ENG consoles.
Not entirely accurate.

Survability right now comes from Shields, not Hull... And the Odyssey has shields in Spades. (Emitter Array MkXIs... Stack 'em three times...)
Lt. Commander
# 104
01-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafeism
3 stacked shield emmiter consoles anyone?
Which is going to run face-first into diminishing returns, and is ultimately the only SCI console that's really worth mounting.
Lt. Commander
# 105
01-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexiom
The Odyssey is toothless and the Bortas is a ravenous beast. That is not balance.
I"m not sure how well versed you are in sci ships, but I wouldn't say toothless. DPS means nothing if you can't break shields.

Try some scimajik to get thru the beast, put a tac BO in that LTC UNI, They're doing the same thing but going about it differently, doesn't mean imbalanced to me.
Lt. Commander
# 106
01-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Which is going to run face-first into diminishing returns, and is ultimately the only SCI console that's really worth mounting.
Well then the problem isn't the ship its the effectiveness of current consoles. We should be pushing for changes in that field rather than nerfing/buffing ships around it.

I do have several ships using the shield emmiter console, along with others, and I don't think they're useless.

Besides if SCI is only a pay 2 win dock now, then the bortas has less, and has to sacrifice either DPS or Sustainability to use them :p
Lt. Commander
# 107
01-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Quote:
I"m not sure how well versed you are in sci ships, but I wouldn't say toothless. DPS means nothing if you can't break shields.

Try some scimajik to get thru the beast, put a tac BO in that LTC UNI, They're doing the same thing but going about it differently, doesn't mean imbalanced to me.
What does this even mean? If you put a Tac BO in the LTC universal slot, you won't be doing any "scimajik" because you will have (at most) three low level science abilities.

And the Odyssey is certainly NOT doing the same thing as the Bortas. The Bortas is a DPS beast with cruiser-level survivability nearly comparable to the Odyssey's. The Odyssey is doing over 50% less damage than the Bortas due to the 2 fewer Tac slots and 15 less weapons power, and that is before considering the cloaked alpha strike and the ability to use cannons.

THAT means imbalanced.
Lt. Commander
# 108
01-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Quote:
I don't have to see a pit bull tear a chiwawa to shreds to know which I would rather be.
I find it odd you consider the Odessy a chiwawa.

It funny how everyone focus only in consoles they forget that odyssey also has a higher shield modification and better turn rate.

I say it more like Pit bull trying to get to turtle in his shield.
Lt. Commander
# 109
01-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Well then the problem isn't the ship its the effectiveness of current consoles. We should be pushing for changes in that field rather than nerfing/buffing ships around it.
If you want to start a campaign to boost sci consoles, feel free, but this is the wrong thread. As it stands, these two ships are not remotely balanced. It is also clear from the fact that you didn't know about the disparity between Sci and Tac/Eng consoles that you are not really equipped to be talking about ship balance.

Quote:
I do have several ships using the shield emmiter console, along with others, and I don't think they're useless.
They are not useless. One is great. The second one just isn't nearly as good as the first.

Quote:
Besides if SCI is only a pay 2 win dock now, then the bortas has less, and has to sacrifice either DPS or Sustainability to use them :p
Seriously? Anyone who knows anything about console layouts would always take a Tac or Eng slot over a gimmick console. There is a reason that the gimmick consoles only ever end up is Sci slots, and it isn't because the gimmick consoles are especially good. Most of them are terrible, in fact.
Lt. Commander
# 110
01-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Quote:
What does this even mean? If you put a Tac BO in the LTC universal slot, you won't be doing any "scimajik" because you will have (at most) three low level science abilities.

And the Odyssey is certainly NOT doing the same thing as the Bortas. The Bortas is a DPS beast with cruiser-level survivability nearly comparable to the Odyssey's. The Odyssey is doing over 50% less damage than the Bortas due to the 2 fewer Tac slots and 15 less weapons power, and that is before considering the cloaked alpha strike and the ability to use cannons.

THAT means imbalanced.
again, dps is nothing if you can't break shields. And I should have had an OR in there, but its implied. Use sci abilities offensively? oh no! what does that even mean!? offiensive sci ship! wha? Tach Beams? Charge 2? psw? What about heals? TSS3? HE3! then CO level engy heals! whoa I"m really supporting my team, oh wait, my zombie cruiser wasn't best DPS?!!! I failed at being kirk .

These are the Days of Our Lives in STO: Cruiser Online.