Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 111
01-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexiom
What does this even mean? If you put a Tac BO in the LTC universal slot, you won't be doing any "scimajik" because you will have (at most) three low level science abilities.

And the Odyssey is certainly NOT doing the same thing as the Bortas. The Bortas is a DPS beast with cruiser-level survivability nearly comparable to the Odyssey's. The Odyssey is doing over 50% less damage than the Bortas due to the 2 fewer Tac slots and 15 less weapons power, and that is before considering the cloaked alpha strike and the ability to use cannons.

THAT means imbalanced.
Not if the odessy puts Feedback Pulse and redirect portion of that attack back at the KDF ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 112
01-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafeism
again, dps is nothing if you can't break shields.
Cannons + 4 Tac consoles + 15 extra weapon power + 6 Tac BO slots destroy shields all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafeism
And I should have had an OR in there, but its implied.
No, it really wasn't. That's why your statement made no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafeism
Use sci abilities offensively? oh no! what does that even mean!? offiensive sci ship! wha? Tach Beams? Charge 2? psw? What about heals? TSS3? HE3! then CO level engy heals! whoa I"m really supporting my team, oh wait, my zombie cruiser wasn't best DPS?!!! I failed at being kirk .

These are the Days of Our Lives in STO: Cruiser Online.
Having , at most, a single Sci ability above Lientenant does not make this ship into anything remotely close to an offsensive science ship. Not even close.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 113
01-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO
Not if the odessy puts Feedback Pulse and redirect portion of that attack back at the KDF ship.
You have to be pretty bad to fall for something like that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 114
01-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
Not entirely accurate.

Survability right now comes from Shields, not Hull... And the Odyssey has shields in Spades. (Emitter Array MkXIs... Stack 'em three times...)
Really, it's both. Resist stacking works for Hull and Shields, and if you focus more on Hull tanking you can run with lower Shield power, which can be diverted elsewhere. And of course Plasma Distribution Manifold consoles are ENG consoles. Shield Emitter Amplifier? ENG console. Field Generator? ENG console. All more useful for boosting shields than the shield-based SCI console.

Let me put it this way, are you running a Cruiser? If so, is it a Star Cruiser? And where are you slotting your universal consoles? Probably not in your ENG or TAC slots I'd wager... and if you are you are certain in the serious minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafeism
Well then the problem isn't the ship its the effectiveness of current consoles.
And that impacts the ship. You can't get around that.

Whether or not consoles should be balanced, they aren't. You don't balance upon what should be you balance upon what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO
It funny how everyone focus only in consoles they forget that odyssey also has a higher shield modification and better turn rate.
The turn rate is better by a fraction, we aren't talking Cruiser v. Science Vessel much less Cruiser v. Escort. And the shield modifier is offset by the Bortas' higher base hull.

And don't forget that many of the better shield breaking SCI powers rely on narrow firing arcs and proximity. The Odyssey is slow enough to make both problematic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 115
01-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexiom
If you want to start a campaign to boost sci consoles, feel free, but this is the wrong thread. As it stands, these two ships are not remotely balanced. It is also clear from the fact that you didn't know about the disparity between Sci and Tac/Eng consoles that you are not really equipped to be talking about ship balance.



They are not useless. One is great. The second one just isn't nearly as good as the first.



Seriously? Anyone who knows anything about console layouts would always take a Tac or Eng slot over a gimmick console. There is a reason that the gimmick consoles only every end up is Sci slots, and it isn't because the gimmick consoles are especially good. Most of them are terrible, in fact.
And its clear to me you haven't run much sci

And I still don't think sci consoles are anywhere near as useless as you claim them to be. yes DR from the sci consoles seems steep compared to linear stacking of tac consoles, but theres a reason for that. Sci consoles with NO DR can make for some scary Majik killing combo's, or ships that NEVER die, which is already a problem. We have enough zombie cruisers out there who can't kill anything who think surviving makes them a skilled player, meanwhile thier team is dead. The Odyssey is not as offensive as you like, fine, fly one the MANY fed ships escort/cruiser alike, but it makes for a GREAT support ship, possibly the best healer the game has seen yet. I would like to see how that beast even moves before judging its tactical ability, if it can't bring all its beams on you to bare (much less cannons! ), then its moot.

Testing will set us free.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 116
01-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexiom
Cannons + 4 Tac consoles + 15 extra weapon power + 6 Tac BO slots destroy shields all day long.
This is where you lost all credibility....Cannons....Cannons on this? with what will be a carrier level turnrate!!!!
Oh no! a bortas, *flies behind it. Mwahahahahaha!

moving on. Testing phase pwease!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 117
01-26-2012, 07:58 PM
well this twitt should make those of your crying about the odessy feel better.

Quote:
3/3/3 console config for odyssey is interesting. Not sure how I feel about it, but it's worth considering.
and

Quote:
Tweaking flagships. Not sure what the final stars will be. Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback when they go to tribble.
https://twitter.com/#!/CaptainGeko

So maybe know we can stop complain something over power before you even try it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 118
01-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafeism
And its clear to me you haven't run much sci

And I still don't think sci consoles are anywhere near as useless as you claim them to be. yes DR from the sci consoles seems steep compared to linear stacking of sci consoles, but theres a reason for that. Sci consoles with NO DR can make for some scary Majik killing combo's, or ships that NEVER die, which is already a problem.
This is a CRUISER. Not a SCI ship. Even with a Lt. Cmdr universal, this ship cannot have enough high level Sci abilities to make it a strong offensive Science ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 119
01-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexiom
This is a CRUISER. Not a SCI ship. Even with a Lt. Cmdr universal, this ship cannot have enough high level Sci abilities to make it a strong offensive Science ship.
Ever heal anyone? a little CC AND heals never hurt a team. But a zombie kirk trying to beam his way past escorts dps sure has before....

*can I get a Sci Team please!

at the end of the day I think the Odyssey3/3/3 is probably best, Especially since the nerf of the + power to X subsytem engy consoles.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 120
01-26-2012, 08:12 PM
the oddessey will punch like a ferengi compared to this lol
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 PM.