Lt. Commander
# 1 The Great Barrier - in sto?
01-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Simple question hopefully to the devs. Will the great barrier as featured in tos and the film we may not mention ( :p ) make it to sto at some point, be nice for a possible FE one day i think.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-26-2012, 09:05 PM
I think you meant the Galactic Barrier. The Great Barrier is the barrier at the center of the Galaxy that impressioned the "god" of Sha-ka-Ree.

And I'm sure someday we will have missions to every location that was in Star Trek, including both Barriers, the Gamma Quadrant, the Delta Quadrant, and the unexplored regions of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Never know, maybe even expand into the Magelantic Clouds or even other Galaxies.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-26-2012, 09:08 PM
I hope the barrier just becomes one of those forgotten things that happened and then didn't happen anymore. It was ridiculous enough in canon, but what happened with it in a particular book that we also shall not name gives me migraines.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I LOVED Star Trek V: Bad God, No Starship, especially the MST3K version. :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-26-2012, 09:40 PM
@ Azurian , weird i always thought they were the same barrier.

True tho that it was kinda weird that the ships never just went over or under it because it didnt go very high height wise but was extremily wide. lol thats 2d thinking for you. :p Still i think it could be kinda cool for a barrier of sorts the main one i want to see is the galactic one which is the one where Gary Mitchell and the women i forgot the name got powers which i thought that episode of tos was pretty cool and would love to see a return of the powers and the barrier and stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Dr. Elizabeth Dehner...

Played by Sally Kellerman (HOTLIPS form the original M*A*S*H Movie... had a really nice tush)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterUK View Post

True tho that it was kinda weird that the ships never just went over or under it because it didnt go very high height wise but was extremily wide.
Thats because the Plot did'n support that paticular solution... That or the STO developers created space in thoose episodes. xD
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Simple question hopefully to the devs. Will the great barrier as featured in tos and the film we may not mention ( :p ) make it to sto at some point, be nice for a possible FE one day i think.
The Galactic Barrier was only shown a couple of times in TOS:

Where No Man Has Gone Before
By Any Other Name
and
Is There In Truth No Beauty (at least in the pre-TOS Remastered version )

The 'thing' in the film that shall not be mentioned was a different 'barrier' at the center of our Galaxy

As far as the OP - hell, I'd love a mission/FE series that ncludes the Star Trek Galactic Barrier.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Yeah, the similar names does throw people quite a bit.

And one of the Trek Novels does dwell in these two barriers and it's said that the Q Continum created them. The Great Barrier to trap the Entity of Sha-Ka-Ree and the Galactic Barrier to lock out another onipotent being.

Quote:
True tho that it was kinda weird that the ships never just went over or under it because it didnt go very high height wise but was extremily wide. lol thats 2d thinking for you. :p Still i think it could be kinda cool for a barrier of sorts the main one i want to see is the galactic one which is the one where Gary Mitchell and the women i forgot the name got powers which i thought that episode of tos was pretty cool and would love to see a return of the powers and the barrier and stuff.
When Geoffrey Mandel created the Star Trek Star Charts, he saw that same flaw and made it into 3D where the Galactic Barrier surrounded the Milky Way like a Shield and the Great Barrier surrounded the Galactic Core.

But you never know, its possible Kestrel and the Cryptic writers might have such an idea locked away for an expansion, someday. Because these two locations are of many "must see" locations that needs to be added someday.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-27-2012, 12:33 AM
The barrier that we saw in Trek V, the one at the center of the galaxy? Yeah, that was ~26,000 light years from Earth. And the Enterprise made it there in the span of a day or two.