Lt. Commander
# 11
01-27-2012, 12:38 AM
remember the TNG ep where they made barclay super smart and they went off to the centre of the galaxy.

they met those other giant floating head things. was that meant to be the same creature as 'god'
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
remember the TNG ep where they made barclay super smart and they went off to the centre of the galaxy.

they met those other giant floating head things. was that meant to be the same creature as 'god'
No.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
ok so why not?

they both live at the centre of the galaxy, they are both giant floating heads. they both bring people to them.

im not saying they are, but is there some reason to rule the possibility out?
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
The barrier that we saw in Trek V, the one at the center of the galaxy? Yeah, that was ~26,000 light years from Earth. And the Enterprise made it there in the span of a day or two.
That does equate to between warp 7 and 8, if each integer increase from warp 1 is ten times faster than the number before it.

Warp 1 = 26,000 years
Warp 2 = 2,600 years
Warp 3 = 260 years
Warp 4 = 26 years
Warp 5 = 2.6 years
Warp 6 = .26 years (94.9 days)
Warp 7 = .026 years (9.49 days)
Warp 8 = .0026 years (.949 days)
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-27-2012, 01:15 AM
Explain 70,000 Lightyears in 70 Years then (VOY)
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-27-2012, 01:18 AM
remember that the way they travelled around in star trek has been refined over the years. in tos, if they want to go to the centre of the galaxy then no problem, they go.

they did a lot of stuff back in the early days without worrying about the mechanics. if you watch some of early TNG you can still see ther have not nailed down the distances correctly as they often say stuff that is totally wrong in comparison to voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Explain 70,000 Lightyears in 70 Years then (VOY)
They couldn't go above Warp 4?
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelchall
They couldn't go above Warp 4?
Sure they could http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Intrepid_class

Heres an illustration of the warp scale...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Warp

Also referring to revo's last comment.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Sure they could http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Intrepid_class

Heres an illustration of the warp scale...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Warp

Also referring to revo's last comment.
i liked this quote.

"As evidenced in the chart of onscreen data, actual speeds represented by a warp factor have not always been kept consistent throughout every Star Trek incarnation. Warp 8.4 would appear to be much faster than warp 9.9 or even warp 11. In fact, given the cited speed of warp 8.4, the Voyager crew (having some 70,000 light years to travel) should have made it home in approximately 33 days, not 75 years. And at Warp 9.9, at the above cited speed, Voyager should have been able to reach home in a little over 3 years."

33 days hmm? Maybe tom was not as good a pilot as they all thought.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
I hope the barrier just becomes one of those forgotten things that happened and then didn't happen anymore. It was ridiculous enough in canon, but what happened with it in a particular book that we also shall not name gives me migraines.
There are several books that are considered apocrypha that present several insight on the Galatic Barrier Theory.

The first were the Preservers, better known as the ancient ones. It was believed in order to stem the threat of the Borg, the Galactic Barrier was created to prevent a primitive form of the borg from assimilating everything in its wake.

The second theory in regards to the apocrypha:

It was created by the Q Continium - Though I believe the book made reference to the Great Barrier at the center and not the Galatic Barrier. The Q imprisoned "The One" in there after "The One" and the "O" ran amuck in eternity past. At least thats what I remember reading about.

As to the OP:

I think a FE regarding the Galatic Barrier in STO would be a nice idea, if they can make it right. So I do recommend to the Devs that a FE be created involving both the Galatic Barrier and "Q."

We need a "Q" FE and one that involves the Galatic Barrier would be an excellent one.