Lt. Commander
# 1 Too Fast
01-27-2012, 02:56 AM
so last night i got tired doing the elite STFs they take a bit of time and i i dont get anything other than normal salvage any more. so i drop down to the normal STFs. What i find horrifies and really annoys me to the extent that one of my house mates came in and told me to be quiet becasue i was shouting at the computer. we failed EVERY optional on all the STFs, i dont know how i never have failed an optinal on a normal STF and i am getting quite good at them on Elite now as well.
The main reason we failed was down to poor communication. Players ships that seemed to be dishing out very little damage. There was someone who has equiped the deifiant with just beam arrays in there no cannons and it looked like no torps either.
I think the leveling up is too fast now and the result of this is people who dont know the game that well ending up at high level missions with others who are more experienced and inadvertently sabotaging them. it takes time to learn how best to fit out your ship and your play style and you just dont get that if you level up in a few days. make it take a bit longer please for everyone's sake
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-27-2012, 04:38 AM
It's a normal PuG, what did you expect? Usually the optional isn't achieved on Normal unless at least two of the players have a clue and well built ships, the kind of person who only plays Normal STFs doesn't care about the optional, they just want the set gear. With the amount of whining on these forums about these guys going into Elite STFs I'd have thought people would be glad they queue only for Normal rather than ruining there Elite runs.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-27-2012, 04:49 AM
The real annoying part is when your watching probes on KA Space pass by three teamates with no interference and your the guy who has to travel to farthest just to get them. And of course there was the guy last night on Infected Space who flew off and hid behind the planet while we fought and lost the optional. I put that guy on my ignore list
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
The real annoying part is when your watching probes on KA Space pass by three teamates with no interference and your the guy who has to travel to farthest just to get them. And of course there was the guy last night on Infected Space who flew off and hid behind the planet while we fought and lost the optional. I put that guy on my ignore list
Rules of the PUG:

1. Never talk except to trash talk others
2. Never listen, or do exactly the opposite of what people ask
3. Use 50/50/50/50 power settings
4. Use a nonsensical set of weapons
5. Use white consoles you got as a Lt.
6. Never bring hypos
7. Never bring regenerators/components
8. You don't need a remodulator
9. If you die keep spamming "Help!" even if the respawn point is 10 meters away
10. Run into the control room in KA and start opening the shields at random while people are still clearing the room
11. Never assist DPSing something
12. NEED everything

Did I miss anything?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-27-2012, 05:04 AM
Well...

STFs, in their original conception, were never intended for pick up groups to do. Seriously. Look it up. If you're PUG-ing an STF you're going against the spirit of the design.

They were originally intended for closely-knit teams of players, people who played together all the time, were voice chatting via Vent (no in-game voice chat at that time), that sort of group.

Good design choice? I honestly have no idea. But, it would seem the PUG method still doesn't really work.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Well its just annoying is all i have found some really really good teams just doing it randomly and then some awful teams that dont know what they are doing. i swear if they could they would try and shoot me out of the sky. but its just recently i have found more teams that are awful, and they tend to be those who have only just started. i know this because i asked once we failed the optional. However i have also seen some new gamers who are amazing and have gone into detail about what they are going to do in the mission and ask for advice.

Ohhh and if your wondering why i did normal STFs i seem to get rare salvage from them more often than i do in elite
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-27-2012, 05:16 AM
very true. Its not worth doing elites unless you want prototypes. For rares the normal stfs are more time, EC and sanity effective.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
very true. Its not worth doing elites unless you want prototypes. For rares the normal stfs are more time, EC and sanity effective.
I'll have to disagree here. Aside from the Cure ground/space and Infected ground it's better to run the elites just because you are more likely to finish the STF faster than you would on normal.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-27-2012, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocuous9
Well...

STFs, in their original conception, were never intended for pick up groups to do.
blah

they are in the open queue so they will have to WORK for PUGs from that point on.

sure the risk of running a queue match is to fail because of noobs... that happens in every game.
but STO does a bad job of explaining to the player what is expected of him before he joins.

so the good players avoid the Queue and play only with their fleetmates

and everyone else who does not want to join a fleet is welcome to join the "EliteSTF" chat channel for PRO groups.

which only results in even less good players in the queue

the funny thing is, as a Medic Tank
in the NORMAL STFs
i can pull pretty much any group through Cure ground and Infected ground, i can almost SOLO the Bosses.
on Kithomer Accord ground the normal PUGs often fail because of the puzzle, not enough DPS, bad communication, somebody in "the room" that doesn't know how to extend the timer. you name it.

on Elite, Kithomer Accord is the easiest, Cure only fails if the group fails at the shield puzzles (i still do a decent job soloing Armek)
but INFECTED is the one that ALWAYS fails. way to many Heavy Tac drones (respawn fest in the third or fourth room already *ugh*), the optional is impossible anyway, and the Boss room has yet failed every single time i played it because first someone QUITS (no replacement, thx to queue -.-), then you fail it 5 more times with 4 players, collect injuries, until one more drops out and then it's GAME OVER.

Also in Infected Elite in the boss room you have to JUMP again... no bridges!
I can't believe how many players are bad at jumping, it's still as bad as it was in the pre-queue STFs !!!
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
10. Run into the control room in KA and start opening the shields at random while people are still clearing the room
For the life of me, I can't figure this one out. I am completely baffled, honestly.
How do you come to the conclusion that you are supposed to be in there pushing buttons while eveyone else is 100 meters away fighting?
Why are you not with the group working as a team?

I try to jump on my Ferengi to give instruction on normal to help folks out as much as I can, but I can't really help with a thought process like that.