Lt. Commander
HI Everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that the first Dev interview for Primetime UGC will be aired on Episode 3 on the 13th of February at 11pm GMT, 6pm EST and 3pm PST on www.livestream.com/cerberusfilms.

This interview will be with H2orat (Video Department Manager), the person responsible for all the awesome trailers and videos we see.

Primetime UGC would usually be focusing solely on the Foundry, but since this is the first interview H2orat will have had, we're looking for any and all questions that you may have for him. We'll be recording on the 7th of February so please have all the questions in at the latest of the 6th.

We're really excited for this, I hope you will be too.

Don't forget to tune in this Monday (30th January 11pm GMT, 6pm EST and 3pm PST ) for Episode 2 where we'll be interviewing Foundry Author Bazag.

And check out Episode 1, now available for streaming on YouTube where we interview prolific and popular author Alimac30.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I look forward to it Oliver - and doing this inside the Foundry as a Machinima talk show is a fantastic idea.

Lt. Commander
# 3
01-27-2012, 10:50 AM
1. How do you approach translating an idea into a trailer? Do you try to storyboard out every aspect of your idea first (including viewpoints) or do you jump right in and build things up from the ground up as you go using the dev foundry toolset?

2. How realistic is it really for us to see more video cutscenes introduced to keypoint areas across game? Such as
- optional docking cutscenes,
- fleet action cutscenes,
- existing missions and,
- in new featured episodes?

3. Can you discuss if anybody at Cryptic is seriously talking about adding the possibility for foundry authors to supplement their missions with cutscenes at some point in the future?

4. You have mentioned that you were experimenting with the player foundry tools, is that just for familiarity coming across from PWE, or could we expect to see some sort of h20rat multi-part adventure in the near future?

^^ Thanks Primetime UGC, Episode One was awesome.

Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2012, 02:29 PM
What's the best thing about your job?
What got you into this line of work and did you study?
What features would you like to see added to the foundry?
How do you find the best way to translate gameplay via a video medium?
Do you draw inspiration form any Machinima?
Do copyright issues impede on your creativity when creating promotional material?
Where does a player stand copyright wise towards making a trailer for the foundry?
What copyright conditions should you consider when using foundry to make Machinima in a Trek or non Trek context.
Do you have any editing techniques that you would like to share? Such as Transporter, Phaser fire or warping effects.
Can I please have your job?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2012, 03:29 PM
OK, my question is a bit complex so I'm not sure if you guys would give it a try, but here goes:
You know how the /demorecord command records a game session, and how NPC's that "speak" to the player emit their text into the chat-panel? So, can Cryptic please give us some command, utilizing existing tech, that will ill continuously write NPC dialogs to a text file on the local machine to be parsed by 3rd party applications people could write?

We could for example embed HEX code instead of bar-codes to trigger plugins, and I think STO would benefit greatly from a wealth of 3rd part plugins that are accessible only through Foundry missions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Q1: Where is our cutscene tool?
Q2. When can we expect to have it available for testing?
Q3. H2Orat eh? Water Rat, should we be worried about certain implications of that handle or is it just innocent and anecdotally amusing?
Q4. In 6 months time, if you are asked about what feature addition to the Foundry you are most proud of, what would it be specifically?
Q5. Will the cutscene tool allow Foundry authors to do a transition without incrementing the map count on the project? e.g. having a ship interior map where the viewscreen shows an outside space zone with activity taking place but it's not a separate map but rather objects within the interior map.
Q6. Would it be possible to restrict access of the cutscene tool from certain accounts without a blanket lockout? e.g. Admiral Murphy
Q7. As this tool will allow us to stage some spectacular visuals, how far behind it is the ability to have NPCs "act" ? e.g. flight paths....scripted animations.....actors walking around
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Does he have a favorite fan-made Foundry trailer?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2012, 12:08 PM
What kind of clout do you have with getting assets added? I know you've been able to request new character animations for trailers. Can you get things like haircuts or uniforms added?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2012, 02:18 PM
  • Are there any differences between the tools we use to make trailers (demorecord) and the tools you use?
  • If so would these differences ever be useable by the player base?
  • What features, if any, would you like to be added to the video tools?
  • Will you keep annoying DStahl about getting the cutscene tool added to the Foundry?
  • What does a normal working day for you entail?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all your Questions Guys

We'll be recording the interview in about 19hrs, so please get all your questions

A reminder that this will be broadcast as part of Episode 3 along with an interview with foundry Author Soriedem this monday coming.