Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 1 Unable to spend skill points
01-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Short version: I came back for the free to play and can't spend my skill points.

Long version: I came back recently, and started playing with my engineering captain (reskilling was no issue), and only logged in with my science captain to use the doff system every once in a while. A week ago, i decided to play with my science captain, so i tried to spend the skill points but i've failed.

Every time, i spend all points (a few times just enough for the accept button to light up, to see what happens), i hit the accept button, it waits a few seconds, and then clears every skill. I tried doing it inspace and on ground, immediatly after login and after doing other stuff, made sure i hit the accept button (at this point it wouldn't suprise me if i were hitting the wrong button all along).

Right now i have no skill points spent, i am absolutely powerless, all captain abilities are missing.
My science captain is completely useless and unplayable.

I was hoping the last update would fix this, but nothing changed. I already have submitted a ticket, but no one seems to have touched it in the past five days.
I understand everyone is busy with the free to play, 2 year annyversary, the flagships and the feature series, but my captain is broken beyond playability.

Please someone do something, or if this happened to anyone, tell me what i can do to make t work, i tried spending my skill points at least 20 times already, i know the whole skill tree by heart by now
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-27-2012, 01:11 PM
What happens if you spend them all and then wait a minute before hitting accept?
Are you always trying to spend them on the same map?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-27-2012, 01:34 PM
i've put all points into skills, then waited a few minutes before hitting accept. It got my hopes up, aside from that, not much.

I've tried it in the vicinity of DS9, on DS9, sirius sector block, sol system, ESD, Starfleet academy, the bridge
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-27-2012, 03:17 PM
I have 500 left to spend and no way to spend them after my respec. So I can not get my slip stream back from before the update. I submitted a ticket a week ago and have received no response. LAME.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-28-2012, 09:24 AM
servers are back online. Still can't spend skill points.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Same here
500 skill points left and no way to spend them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-29-2012, 02:22 PM
I have had this problem as well, ending up with 500 skill points left over. What I did to resolve this was to really just mess around with my point allocation between both ground and space skills.

Take a few points away from a ground skill and add them to a space skill, or the other way around. Pretty much, keep an eye on your available skill points as you spend them and make sure as you go through your skills, you are maintaining a skill point balance that are all 000's in the hundreds, and not 500 in the hundreds.

What I mean by that is, say you have a balance of skill points like say, 120,000 points left. You may notice that when you spend a skill point, it may go to something like 117,000 (depending on the point cost). Keep spending points and try to get rid of a balance of anything that looks like this: 117,500. Anytime you have a balance of the 500 in the hundreds part, you will most likely end up with 500 left over.

Again, just keep a close eye on the points as you spend them, and make sure that when you get near the cap of points available that you have 000's and not 500. If you do, then just tinker with your allocation. It may take a couple times, but you should be able to get it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-29-2012, 03:04 PM
That is a problem, and i think the skill tree should be modified so the cheapest skills cost 500, because that is a bit of a design flaw, forcing people to respec just to spend everything.

However, my problem is that the game refuses to accept my skills, no matter how i spend them. After hitting the accept button it just waits, then resets the whole thing.

My character is unplayable, and it's been over a week now and my ticket haven't been touched. I'm getting really tired of assigning all the points to the correct skills, and hoping for that few seconds that this time it will miraculously work, and just when i start to believe in it, it blanks everything.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotka View Post
That is a problem, and i think the skill tree should be modified so the cheapest skills cost 500, because that is a bit of a design flaw, forcing people to respec just to spend everything.

However, my problem is that the game refuses to accept my skills, no matter how i spend them. After hitting the accept button it just waits, then resets the whole thing.

My character is unplayable, and it's been over a week now and my ticket haven't been touched. I'm getting really tired of assigning all the points to the correct skills, and hoping for that few seconds that this time it will miraculously work, and just when i start to believe in it, it blanks everything.
Ah, I see. And my apologies for misunderstanding the problem. Yeah, the skill system doesn't seem to be very well designed and seems to be overly complicated for what it is. It frustrated me to no end having always 500 points left over, and it took many tries to get it to take. I hope you get your problem resolved soon though. I can only imagine how frustrating it is.

Other problems I have encountered is that sometimes the skill system wouldn't allow me to assign points, even with 50,000 points left to spend. All the arrows that we use to add points just wouldn't work anymore.
Other times the space and ground skill fields would just... minimize and show no skills at all. I feel your pain.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-29-2012, 06:20 PM
i just hope they fix it before the annyversary event... right now, i can't even do the dailies, if there are any annyversary missions with enemies in them, i won't be able to do them