Lt. Commander
# 31
08-25-2009, 10:20 AM
I really hope that the person who wrote the article got it wrong... but you can only use 3 Bridge Officer's at a time.. It would make sense since the three departments we can play are Tactical, Science and Engineering.. HOWEVER... Star Trek is MORE than your Tactical, Science and Engineering Officers... we're kinda missing at least the Helmsman, Operations Officer, Chief Medical Officer and First Officer at least.
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-25-2009, 11:38 AM
He did get it wrong, Craig said the Miranda that was in the demo had 3 BO slots. He mentions this 8 minutes into the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7wnCqAJPVI
Lt. Commander
# 33
08-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Craig says um around 100 times in the first 10 minutes

Gimme a dossier and a day to play that game then just take me to these things Craig and you can stay at the office and work on the game I'm a professional salesman and demonstrator of products, I can do that job for ya! I'll take a small salary with paid travel

Really the best recent news I've seen about the game was the PC Gamer article. Loved it and the visuals of the Constellation class.

I still wish we were seeing more completely new designs instead of stepping backwards...We saw a pretty good idea of what the Enterprise-J would look like in "Enterprise" but we're not at all on course to see a design even remotely similar to that in the game with all these steps backwards in ship geometry design.

I'd rather we see progression in the ship designs instead of regression...

Also, everything I've seen shows the ships as NX registry numbers...does this mean every ship will be an NX? Or every customized ship will be an NX? So if I get a Constellation class ship and don't alter it would that be an NCC?
Lt. Commander
# 34
08-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJappic View Post
but you can only use 3 Bridge Officer's at a time
Assuredly, that's only for whatever ship it was the article's writer was using. I know they (the Devs) have stated previously that the number of bridge officers you can use on your ship varies depending on what kind of ship it is.
Lt. Commander
# 35
08-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm happy that you get 3 to start, I was afraid you'd only get one which would make no sense whatsoever since you almost always have one of each on the bridge on any starship...

Glad 3 is the minimum. Better than 1 or 2 for immersion purposes...
Lt. Commander
# 36
08-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise View Post
A little bit disappointing to see that nine out of ten user comments on the site were negative. Hope that doesnt bode poorly for the game.
Eh, I ignore bad commenta on the internet. There are way too many idiots that like to try to stir things up just because they get off on that sort of thing. I mean, give someone a reason to complain, and they will until they're blue in the face. I'd give modern political examples, but I don't like politics that much, reguardless of how good the example might be. haha

The way I see it is, I will like STO even if it plays like absolute crap. I'm a die-hard fan, I have been waiting for this game shortly after I discovered the internet (long before MMO's were even 'invented'), and since it's just around the corner, my long wait is about to end.

I know there are going to be "MMO***s" that will buy the game, log on for a week or three doing nothing but whining and crying saying "this game sucks, I'm going back to WoW" and after they do, the devs will iron out the kinks over the next year or so, and then it will be the game I've always dreamt of. Remember, new titles take time to get right, BE PATIENT!

I know Cryptic wants to make this a game for everyone and not just Trekkies, but in the end I think it will bend towards the Trekkie croud instead of the MMO croud.

Keep up the good work Cryptic. My only advice would be to plan on having a long beta before release. Hopefully most of the testers will actually provide useful feedback so the product at launch is the best it can be! Sadly most beta testing has been reduced to "omg I get to play the game" and the testers forget the real point, sniff out bugs, and say how good/bad/easy/hard different parts of the game are.
Lt. Commander
# 37
08-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmann26 View Post
The way I see it is, I will like STO even if it plays like absolute crap..
That feeling won't last forever; I had that same feeling for some past titles(not even MMO's) and I can tell you; no matter how much you believe that your intelligence will get the better of you if the game blows hard enough.
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
That feeling won't last forever; I had that same feeling for some past titles(not even MMO's) and I can tell you; no matter how much you believe that your intelligence will get the better of you if the game blows hard enough.
I played UO off and on for 10 years and finally decided to play another MMO. That MMO happened to be WoW. So I dunno, I'm pretty stubborn. hahaha

What I'm saying is: if at launch the game is ragged and clumsy that I will ride it out knowing that the devs will be working hard to iron out the bumps. Reguardless if it takes 1, 2, 3, 4, 10 years. I'm hoping that this won't be the case, but I'll be willing to stick with it from launch to finish even if it's good or bad from the start.

From what I've seen, I think that I will definately like it. I'm already hoping that they will offer a lifetime sub.
Lt. Commander
# 39
08-25-2009, 04:13 PM
snorefest.almost no new information here. we'll be able to reinforce shields...yeah great...we'll be carrying phaser guns and rifles on away missions...hm...we'll be at impulse speed as long as we don't go to warp...oh yeah and all stuff is looking pretty nice. Ok that's cool but the only new thing here is the tachyon beam. Are you guys sure that this is a new article? Can't help it but i feel like i've read this stuff before back in april '09.

feel free to correct me or start a flame war if you want to.
Lt. Commander
# 40
08-25-2009, 07:54 PM
great article.