Lt. Commander
# 21
01-28-2012, 06:58 AM
The turn rate needs to be buffed quite a bit, maybe to a degree lower than the Negh'var because I simply can't bring my cannons to bear. Brilliant healer but also great offensive weaponary. I'd say fine as is except the turn rate.

Just look at the Negh'var and the Vor'cha, they are both battle cruisers and have much more turn rate than the standard Fed cruisers. This is also supposed to be a battle cruiser so I see no reason why it shouldnt be one degree lower than the Negh'var (1 degree less because its simply bigger and beastier). With this buff in turn rate, I'd say the ship's tactical consoles would be worth while then and the cannon capability would also be worthwhile.

Without this turn rate, the cannons are pointless and the tactical slots are only good for beams, which aren;t exactly the greatest damage dealing weapons in the world.
Lt. Commander
# 22 complete review
01-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Well after some serious testing last night...

BORTAS
The overall play of the vessel does lend to its ability to take damage, however its ability to move properly and to bring weapons to bear on its intended targets leave it lacking in the several cases. I found the ship felt like it was lacking something…

The four tactical consoles allows for unprecedented firepower, making this ship have some serious bite to it. I slotted a primary weapon booster +26, followed by an alternate general booster +18. Add to that a Warhead booster +26, and then a choice of a secondary warhead booster or even a Detonation Console, or a point defense console and you have a serious bite to this ship.

Still that did not make up for its shield disparity. It has roughly 59K in hull strength, but the 11.4K in shield strength gimps it’s a touch. Add to that its lack of science console slots to bolster its shields a touch is apparent when using EPtS and TSS. Its shields felt very unresponsive, creeping back up to its max potential.

The ships turn rate is a serious drawback, even boosted the maximum that could be obtained in a battle power setting was only a 9.1 with booster. While better then the carrier’s disgraceful 7, it only is just slightly better and a far cry from the Neg’s 12+. Size is listed as the “reason” behind this, which I could say sure I believe that IF the technology was the same. Problem is, this ship is being lauded as the pinnacle of Klingon technology, and the thing that they excel in is weapons and maneuverability. Yet it is a far cry from any of the current neg’s. This ship has damage potential, but severely lacks the other.

On swapping the LtC Universal slot to an engineer, did help its survivability, but it pulls had from the ships DPS ability and felt very out of place for it.

On swapping the LtC Universal slot to a science, this actually added a unique wrinkle. It made a survivable platform for some basic science skills that assisted in this ships ability to survive and control the battle field some. It was a surprising find and definitely warrants further testing.

Some would classify this ship as a beam boat, but it could be a simple cannon runner with a few things that could be added.
  1. Leave the console setup as is, raise its turn rate
  2. Change consoles ?? eh not willing to say that..
  3. Give it one launch bay.. fighters only or probe of some kind (missiles etc)
OR
Leave the ship as is, add a standard ability. Some suggestions…
  • Missile Barrage – launches a wave of disruptor missiles design for shield barrage of space station and planetary defenses. To be used as an AOE attack. Give it a time limit when a ship decloaks so it is not a first strike weapon but has X time to charge up/load the missiles, before it can be fired.
  • Fortification – when active this tactical ability bolsters the ships hull armor severely reducing the inbound damage it takes to its hull. Timer to apply, a purely defensive power.
  • Cover Field – or as I call it, “Mother Cover”, for an X amount of time, the ship can extend its shield out to a 2.5 KM range, pushing other ships and targetable objects out to that point. Any friendly ships in this area will have their shields overlapped by the massive cruiser and not receive any fire. Timer to apply, recharge etc…
  • Hammer Shield – when active the ship force field and hull becomes electrically charged. Any vessel or destructible item within 1.5 km or less will take appropriate damage as it gets “shocked” or “feedback” from this field. Timer and recharge to apply, etc…
Understand, this thing can be a heavy beam/simple cannon hitter. If you can not kill things with this beast, then like it or not, it is what you are doing, not the ship…

ODDESSY
Wow… where to begin on this beautiful layout of a ship…
Folks are calling to have a 3/3/3 build on this ship for consoles, after flying it last night I have one thing to say, NO! This ship was so much head and shoulders above the Bortas in its capabilities that it was not even funny. To do anything with the ship console layout would be a complete and total waste of its abilities.

Looking at the Damage over time between it and the Bortas, it only lost out with the same power setting by 9%, fighting in the same STF instance. Its shield and Defense capabilities outshined the Bortas. Its 3 science console slots the shield system responded immediately bolstering its shields back much more quickly making it a defensive juggernaut.

This incredible responsiveness allowed much more flexibility to my setup, I was able to completely allow the LtC Universal slot go to tactical which majorly boosted my damage DPS output. I slotted both tactical slots with a +26 and a +18 for energy weapons to make it equal in damage bonus.

The ships base stats give it a 57+K hull with 13.6K shields. 2.2K superior to the Bortas shield rating. Both ships were identically equipped, even with the same weapons and type. It’s turning rate, while a base of 6 could easily be boosted with a RCS to a very nice 10.4, which my AC with the exact same setup only gets a 11.3 so that is pretty dern close. That alone is far better then the Gx or the G® which range in the 9.1 to 9.6 range.
That small amount made this ship feel much more elegant, and with the extra 2.2K in shields, much tougher in taking damage then the Bortas class.

It begs the question IF the turn rate should be upped any... Tough call on that one, while the AC is a great ship, it is 60+ years in age, and this ship is to be the pinnacle of modern technology… If one was to raise this ships turn capacity I would say no more then .5 and that would be a hard sell to even me. To add more to it creates a serious imbalance that would require retuning every other cruiser class of Tier 5.
On the science setup, all I can say is wow…. I can see I will never get my wife out of this cruiser. The tanking and survivability of a cruiser, that kind of firepower, and the ability to use her science skills? Yeah, I don’t see her using anything else after she plays with this puppy.

To be honest I could not find much wrong with the ship at all. It outshined the Bortas in so many ways, If it is given the Sensor Scan ability then Bortas would definately need something to match that ability. Its pure survivability and science capacity sets it above the sheer damage power of the Bortas, who feels more like a one trick pony, a Pickup truck competing with a Corvette in a speed race.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-28-2012, 08:08 AM
I say leave the layout as is, lower the hull to 39000 (as are all cruisers) and + the turn to 9 (same as the excelsior.) 3 tact console slots and two sci and 4 uni. ;\ A healer that can turn would be fitting for my other KDF Eng >:|

No more KDF pet stuff please. There is already too much.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Okay, tested both ships extensively on tribble in both PvE and PvP.

Bortas Battle Cruiser

Stations = Fine

Engineer consoles = Fine

Science consoles = Fine, since most people will only be using it to place their universal consoles in.

Tactical consoles = Fine

Shields = Fine

Hull = Fine

Turnrate = Could do with a +1 to it's turnrate, same goes for the Odyssey (but more so for the Bortas, even at the expense of it's hull).

As for pets - No way.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Bridge Comments:
Note: First time seeing the carrier bridge

Postive:
1. Im a BIG FAN of the two screens that sit in front of the captain.
2. Targ puppies ? OMG SO CUTE

Negative:
1. How long will that science officer be scanning that targ ?
2. Like the odyssey the bridge seems rehashed. It has unique features but the core of it is components from other bridges.
3. Why does a non carrier ship have a fighter displayed in the holo imager in the back

Ship Comments:

I think its a step above my Negh'var and for what the bortas looses when compared to the negh'var what it gains is worth it. I love it but the only thing is it was very difficult for me to point my cannons so ill likely be switching to beam arrays. All in all though a great ship with a good layout for PVE , not talking about pvp here.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alendiak
Turnrate = Could do with a +1 to it's turnrate, same goes for the Odyssey (but more so for the Bortas, even at the expense of it's hull).
Yup. 6 is still slow, but 5.5 has a tendency to become unnerving.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-28-2012, 03:39 PM
I like the Bortas as is. Everything abuot it makes sense for a Klingon battleship.

The turn rate is low in comparison to other Klingon hulls, but a ship that big isn't going to turn on a dime.

The lack of Science console slots makes perfect sense, this is a battleship, not a research vessel.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph_B
2. Like the odyssey the bridge seems rehashed. It has unique features but the core of it is components from other bridges.
While it is called "Bortas Bridge" it is only the "Kahless Bridge" serving as placeholder.
It's not a new bridge, it's 100% the "Kahless Bridge" that was in game since... release if I remember right.
So well, no wonder that you see components from other bridges.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoson View Post
Well after some serious testing last night...

The four tactical consoles allows for unprecedented firepower, making this ship have some serious bite to it. I slotted a primary weapon booster +26, followed by an alternate general booster +18. Add to that a Warhead booster +26, and then a choice of a secondary warhead booster or even a Detonation Console, or a point defense console and you have a serious bite to this ship.
oh my, what an incredibly unoptimized console setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoson View Post
Looking at the Damage over time between it and the Bortas, it only lost out with the same power setting by 9%, fighting in the same STF instance. Its shield and Defense capabilities outshined the Bortas. Its 3 science console slots the shield system responded immediately bolstering its shields back much more quickly making it a defensive juggernaut.
the damage difference would have been much higher if you slotted 4 +26 to energy consoles like your supposed to, really that's the only thing worth slotting.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
oh my, what an incredibly unoptimized console setup.

the damage difference would have been much higher if you slotted 4 +26 to energy consoles like your supposed to, really that's the only thing worth slotting.
Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. For someone with so much to say (and in such pretty colors), you would think that he would be better informed.