Lt. Commander
# 31
02-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred

With all due respect.
My point was not to make this game more unrealistic than necessary.

In any Star Trek series have you ever seen a Rifle, or other pices of equipment scaled to the person using it?
Not everyone carries his/her personal weapons all day around and weapons are usually stored in secured weapons stores or lockers on every starfleet ship.
Wouldnt it be a bit complicated to find everyone a fitting weapon every time the captain calls red alert?

Of course not, this equipment is standardised. I know some MK I weapons can be replicated, but most other weapons not.
How would you refuel them, would you reload them with bigger bullets, bigger energy cells, or the same as smaller versions have.
How comes that bigger versions do just the same damage as smaller version, althrough there is more room for (fill in some damage producing technobrabble stuff)?

Live long and prosper.
Weapons in STO are stored in a transporter buffer on the character's belt. They are indeed personal and not secreted away in a generic weapons locker. In Trek, this is far more "realistic" than a more modern system.

When the weapon is recalled from the transporter buffer, they can use replicator technology to adapt the ergonomic aspects of the weapon to the individual using it. So long as a user has a profile stored with starfleet (or the ship more specifically) they could recall the correct sized weapon for each user. Simply adapting the ergonomic aspects of the weapon so that the user has the best, most consistent, experience is the most logical thing to do.

Edit: my original post suffered from some horrendous copy and paste error.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred

With all due respect.
My point was not to make this game more unrealistic than necessary.

In any Star Trek series have you ever seen a Rifle, or other pices of equipment scaled to the person using it?
Not everyone carries his/her personal weapons all day around and weapons are usually stored in secured weapons stores or lockers on every starfleet ship.
Wouldnt it be a bit complicated to find everyone a fitting weapon every time the captain calls red alert?

Of course not, this equipment is standardised. I know some MK I weapons can be replicated, but most other weapons not.
How would you refuel them, would you reload them with bigger bullets, bigger energy cells, or the same as smaller versions have.
How comes that bigger versions do just the same damage as smaller version, althrough there is more room for (fill in some damage producing technobrabble stuff)?

No i wouldn't like to see scaling Weapon models they would just make the game even more unrealistic then necessary.

Live long and prosper.
Now that's what I'm talking about! :^D

Hmmm... You make a good point, however wasn't it stated that in STO the weapons we carry are literally micro-replicated/transported to our possession when we go to use them? I swear I heard that at some point...

Also it would make sense because the technology exists. Engineering captains and kits allow you to beam/replicate mines/turrets and bombs on the spot. Tactical officers have an unlimited supply of grenades and apparently we can all carry LOADS of hyposprays/regenerators and shield charges.

Weapons would all run on the same charges, just because they are larger does not mean they expend more energy per shot. Also just because they are bigger does not mean they do more damage, I dare say a disruptor beam is just as deadly no matter the size of the weapon that shoots it.

Also, because of the STO storyline, I assume my characters and BOffs are always armed. We are all participating in a war on several fronts, most of the time we are actively leading the charge.

As for the Klingon characters... I assumed that they were ALWAYS armed with at least some weaponry. Plus, most of the weapons for a Klingon are personally owned by the said KDF member as opposed to the Federations "community pool".

And as I said before, who's to say my Gorn's weapon was not made by the Gorn Hegemony?

-Quiiliitiila

____

EDIT*
I did not see the post above me... It explains the transporter/replicator idea I touched upon.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-01-2012, 03:36 PM
My KDF has been having the bat'leth problem for a very long time now...hell I think my feds are starting ot have this problem too
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
*Grabs his bat and knocks this thread into the Art of STO forum*
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Well now that this is in the Art forum, I wonder if it will get any responses... My guess is no.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Anyway, my vote is that the weapons scale with hand size or something similar. Hight/bulk?

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-02-2012, 08:34 AM
lets just take the CO tech and call it a day.