Lt. Commander
# 31
01-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Well in all fairness I understand the down time issues, but wish they would stop doing it in UK time! It's all the time and it's the only time I really get to play. I know there is a majority of American plays, but a bit of compromise isn't too much to ask
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkingAngel
EVE Online have stuff in game you can buy for game credits that give you 30 days of playing time, so in a sense you could play for free anyway.

EVE Online doesn't go offline at between 3 and 6pm GMT eveyday now does it !
EVE Online doesn't even require you to PLAY it, so downtime in EVE doesn't matter.

Unless you're one of those 0.0 alliances trying to manage your fuel or something crazy like that.

I can't believe people make a huge fuss over an hour or two of downtime...
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Next week they can put the server down at 7:30 UTC, everyday...

I'm from Spain, and waiting a little time to play is not a big problem for me, but i can understand the OP.

Greetings.

Pardon for my english.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-28-2012, 08:25 AM
I was part of an independent game project for some time that experienced this same issue. I learned that while some players will be driven away by extensive down time, they will always come back once the problem is sorted as long as there is fair warning in advance that there will be a period of down time.

In my experiences thus far there has been more than enough fair warning regarding down time for STO. They publicly announce that the game will be unavailable hours (usually a full day) in advance and are normally very punctual with coming back online exactly when announced.

Star Wars: The Old Republic on the other hand was offline earlier this morning for much longer than they announced they would be offline for. STO isn't doing that. Give them some room, as Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment are being incredibly respectful towards us through their punctuality. If they didn't care about us they would just turn everything off for a few weeks while they worked on it. Obviously we're important to them.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-28-2012, 08:26 AM
I agree with OP. I think Cryptic shouldn't bring the servers down today, and instead let whatever would have gone wrong go wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
No way would an average player you meet in STF pug finish any heroic instance in WoW. People actually manage to FAIL normal Cure space.
Because some preople realize that the bonuses in normal cure are crap and don't care. Also, normal STFs is a way for people to learn how to play the game.
Lt. Commander
# 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAngelis
Many times, and they are still far above that which is in Blizzard games.
I don't see WoW getting down for maintenance for 2 hours when the traffic is biggest (restart started at 16:00 UTC+1, on the WEEKEND!). WoW gets restarted on Wednesday morning, when almost no one is playing. Yes, I know, timezone difference, but they could do their job at lets say, 00:00 PST, then in Europe it would be morning, and everyone would be happy.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkingAngel
EVE Online have stuff in game you can buy for game credits that give you 30 days of playing time, so in a sense you could play for free anyway.

EVE Online doesn't go offline at between 3 and 6pm GMT eveyday now does it !
Oh, you're back to that whole "A company on the west coast of North America should run on European schedules" thing
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Also comparing a game developed by a small studio like Cryptic Studios to a game developed by a multi-billion dollar corporate giant like Activision-Blizzard is not only demanding an incredibly unfair amount out of Cryptic Studios but expresses how misinformed and/or jaded some of you are in terms of online gaming. You cannot in good faith compare the two, especially when it is painfully clear that Cryptic Studios are in fact using their existing resources to the fullest to address the problems they have.

To put it into perspective for some of you, Activision-Blizzard is a publicly traded corporation with a subscriber base larger than the total population of some European nations. Cryptic Studios is an independent game studio that still uses third party publishers to promote their products. It's not even in the same league.

WoW players have been heavily spoiled, which is why they're generally the annoying crybabies of the internet.
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooop123
I don't see WoW getting down for maintenance for 2 hours when the traffic is biggest (restart started at 16:00 UTC+1, on the WEEKEND!). WoW gets restarted on Wednesday morning, when almost no one is playing. Yes, I know, timezone difference, but they could do their job at lets say, 00:00 PST, then in Europe it would be morning, and everyone would be happy.
Consider this. They have a fraction of the staff of Blizzard. They work pacific time, like me, so chances are they have already been at work for 3-4 hours getting ready for this patch. I am GLAD they are doing the maintenance now instead of the middle of the night. Why? Because they are clear headed now after a good rest and are less likely to make mistakes from sleep deprevation.

Take it from someone who has worked and does work on servers for a living. Their maintenance schedule is a good one.
Closed Thread