Lt. Commander
It's been awhile since I played... I do have 340 days active time accumulated over the past two years though. Currently waiting for my old install to patch up... taking forever. I'm a longtime mmo'er, especially with WoW so min/maxing is kind of like breathing for me.

I just picked up a CE and a regular so I have that red matter thing coming. Will I want to put it on my ship?

IIRC I had a male human tactical captain with a tac retrofit.

I've been browsing around alot, but I'm having some trouble getting my thoughts, and information together in a decent way.

I don't PvP, looking to do fleet actions and STFs after I get re-acclimated to the game. Wondering what my build and stuff should be. IIRC I think I have like one piece of borg ship equipment, I think I had 3x Phaser DHC, 1x Quantum torp, and all turrets in the rear.

Wondering if there are cookie cutter builds, or if there is a specific build I'm going to want to use? I've also noticed alot of things about using 2 tactical team skills. Should they be level 1? or 2? or one of each? I';ve also read that I will want 3 pieces of borg gear, and then some other kind of shield.

What should I do with DOffs? They didn;'t exist the last time I played. Will the game retroactively give me the DOff booster packs since im at max level? Or am I SoL since im already past the levels where you get them? Should I buy the 100 doff upgrades the the doff booster packs in the cstore?

Are there specific ships/pets/items/etc in the c-store that are 'required' for min/maxing?

Should I stay with my human tac, or use another race and build up a new one?

Sorry to toss so much random crap out here, but I need a place to condense everything. So any tips, answers, or links to specific articles in this thread would help me big time.

Also if anyone wants to be a mentor and train me on STFs when I finally get into the game I'd be grateful ;o I only finished a couple, and that was back in like s1 or 2. And most of them the groups failed before the end.

EDIT: I saw something about a talent redesign, or addition or something. anyone have a good build or two I can study over at the academy?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilveari View Post
I just picked up a CE and a regular so I have that red matter thing coming. Will I want to put it on my ship?
I like the red matter and use it.

Quote:
Wondering if there are cookie cutter builds, or if there is a specific build I'm going to want to use?
Builds you can look at: stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/share.php

or just use my skill planner to fix your own build.

Quote:
I've also noticed alot of things about using 2 tactical team skills. Should they be level 1? or 2? or one of each? I';ve also read that I will want 3 pieces of borg gear, and then some other kind of shield.
It all depends on your strategy. You don't need 2 tactical team skills. You don't need the Borg gear. Just play around and see what works. If you will be doing the Elite STFs then I do suggest Borg gear.

Quote:
What should I do with DOffs? They didn;'t exist the last time I played. Will the game retroactively give me the DOff booster packs since im at max level? Or am I SoL since im already past the levels where you get them? Should I buy the 100 doff upgrades the the doff booster packs in the cstore?
Check out my Guide to Duty Officers. You should get them retroactively. You don't need to get anything from the C-Store if you don't want to.

Quote:
Are there specific ships/pets/items/etc in the c-store that are 'required' for min/maxing?
Nah.

Quote:
Should I stay with my human tac, or use another race and build up a new one?
Its up to you. There is nothing wrong with any race or career. We have options for a reason, because they are all great

Quote:
Sorry to toss so much random crap out here, but I need a place to condense everything. So any tips, answers, or links to specific articles in this thread would help me big time.

Also if anyone wants to be a mentor and train me on STFs when I finally get into the game I'd be grateful ;o I only finished a couple, and that was back in like s1 or 2. And most of them the groups failed before the end.
Check out my site, stoacademy.com. I have tons of useful stuff on there. Including walkthroughs for the STFs. I'll be glad to run through the STFs with you because they have changed.

Quote:
EDIT: I saw something about a talent redesign, or addition or something. anyone have a good build or two I can study over at the academy?
I think you are talking about the skill tree revamp. Check out my links above to the build page and skill planner. They'll help you out.

I hope I covered everything for you!