Lt. Commander
# 11
01-29-2012, 01:11 AM
QUOTE=Kreael]
Now for the excuse? Last resort, you always save you best weapon for the last resort. I'm sure there are plenty of projectile weapons stored on ESD and at core federation world armories. But starfleet doesn't want to run the risk of using them yet, having the borg adapt to them, and have nothing left to fall back on. Hey, I convinced myself![/quote]

To further build on that they probably dont want to give the borg ideas. Im still trying to figure out why he borg just dont make nanites airborne. Also I think it would be way easier for the borg to put on body armour than most of starfleet.

can you imagine the borg shooting nanite bullets at you?

Infact the main reason this "exploit" still exists is most likely because of writer syndrome.

I mean come on. the collective doesnt know of its weakness to kinetic weaponry?

I can understand them not caring about close range because well they like it that way but the second they start encountering more kinetic weaponry expect them to turn into walking tanks with shields and nanites.

Everyone should be happy that the borg are idiots when it comes to unconventional warfare (warfare period actually). You think they would have assimilated a romulan or jem hadar officer by now.

That or they are just trolling in space
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-29-2012, 01:45 AM
So the Ewoks would defeat the Borg as well.

"We are the Borgwok!! Resistance is futile!!! We will infect you with nauseating cuteness!!!"
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-29-2012, 01:57 AM
I never understood why Starfleet didn't just replicate up some M4s and M249s and go to town. The Borg can't adapt, and a small squad of US Marines could hold off Borg like the Spartans at Thermopylae, until they ran out of ammunition, and then they could pack up and walk away at a brisk pace and still remain safe...

The only Borg drone that's ever shown itself to be immune to kinetic energy damage is the Future drone that assimilated the EMH"s mobile emitter in Voyager, and that mobile emitter itself was future tech.

The Borg have less tactical sense then Baboons. "Hey, let's let these strange people fly a ship up to ours, beam aboard and walk around at will completely unopposed!" "Hey, let's send ONE ship at a time to take a target that we find high-enough on the priority scale to attempt to take it via TIME TRAVEL! Oh, yeah, and let's send the QUEEN HERSELF on that ship!"

The really sad part is that it's Starfleet's technology that screws them against the Borg..
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-29-2012, 02:23 AM
This thread reminds me of Stargate when the Asgard were too advanced to have effective weapons against the Replicators. They had to ask help from a lesser developed species (humans with machine guns) in order to combat them.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-29-2012, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreael
Orbital. Bombardment.
Depends on the mission objectives. If you need to gather important stuff first(like in Cure), you have to send away teams.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Exactly. That's precisely why Vader didn't just BDZ Hoth Slagging a planet isn't always the answer.

Just most of the time.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
This thread reminds me of Stargate when the Asgard were too advanced to have effective weapons against the Replicators. They had to ask help from a lesser developed species (humans with machine guns) in order to combat them.
Exactly, I think to the federation using a rifle such as we have today is just barbaric. So they don't even consider it.

Edit: And orbital bombardment isn't always effective. You can air-strike a city to hell, but that doesn't always kill the target you want. Though to be fair if we wanna go the "orbital bombardment" route, why do we even bother beaming to many areas? Why not just launch a bunch of torpedos in there first, then beam down and clean up? (Or simply destroy those exploration "clear out old abandoned base the federation will never use again.")
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-29-2012, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour
Two words for you - Tommy Gun!
Cause captain needs his gat!

Seriously though, it has high caliber 0.45, giant drum clips designed specifically for cleaning out trenches full of enemy soldiers ... perfect for clearing out batches of lumbering borg.
This. Captain Picard seemed to be the only person in starfleet to have worked out in First Contact that conventional projectile weaponry was effective against the borg. If I was him I would've started replication tommy guns for the entire crew :p
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-29-2012, 03:13 AM
I can't tell if this thread was born out of hatred for remodulators or a desire to turn STO into your latest XBOX/PS3 shooter fest .
Because remember , Guns Solve All Problems . Borg , Transformers , whatever ... . :p
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadovarn View Post
It's the only way to be sure.

This is what I'm sayin'. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilist
This. Captain Picard seemed to be the only person in starfleet to have worked out in First Contact that conventional projectile weaponry was effective against the borg. If I was him I would've started replication tommy guns for the entire crew :p

That wasn't a projectile weapon; that was an energy weapon. His tommy gun's holographic ammunition was the made of the same stuff as the regular force fields that we have seen the Borg walk through. It worked briefly because they hadn't adapted to it yet. Realistically, I doubt that it would have held its effectiveness for more than another kill or two.