Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Awesome guide..

My question to you is where are the "Lines" to not trigger the countdown in Ground Infected? Nothing more frustrating to be going for the optional and failing because we didn't know that we triggered the countdown.

It would be a little more helpful if there was a big red sign saying "Warning--Do not cross this line or your shipmates become Borgy's best friend"
and
Maybe have a visual countdown to show we've started the countdown. (**hint:hint cryptic**)

Again, Awesome write up and thanks for taking the time to share with us.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-29-2012, 02:36 AM
Check out the Mission Map that I have linked in the Infected Ground portion of the guide. I'll see about getting a higher resolution version of the map and possibly embedding the image into the post.

Quote:
Again, Awesome write up and thanks for taking the time to share with us.
You're quite welcome. I've gotten tired of people complaining that mission such-and-such can't be beaten on Elite, or that PUGs are terrible because there is no resource to learn from, so I took some time and wrote up a nice little piece of right around 6,000 words describing how to get the optional objectives on Elite. It took me just about the entire day, but the combat in my D&D session was going a bit slow and so I decided to get a bit of writing done.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-29-2012, 06:19 AM
The 2 posts reserved for "Into the Hive" made me laugh

Awesome guide. This needs to be stickied so we have something to point people to that are willing to read guides.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Great job, Naldoran! I will definitely be using this guide when I teach new players! Excellent job!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-30-2012, 03:59 AM
Seeing as I've never done an STF before, I'll be using this guide as a starter. Thanks for the effort you put into it!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Wow! Thank you so much for a detailed guide to the Elite STFs! /stickied

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Awesome guides. Really breaks the missions down well, and clearly explains WHY certain tactics work best. Outstanding work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streakfury View Post
Seeing as I've never done an STF before, I'll be using this guide as a starter. Thanks for the effort you put into it!
You should also check out the Newbie Guide (linked in the first post); I read through that before I did my first STF and it was a big help.

One other tip: get some friends/fleetmates/acquaintances/etc. to run you through the first time. Pugs can be a bit of a challenge, especially if you've never run one before. (If you haven't got any of the above to help out, PM me and maybe I can take you through a couple.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naldoran
[*]It is recommended to focus on destroying the Tactical Cube and any remaining Borg ships before destroying the gate. It is generally easier to destroy the spheres before attacking the Tactical Cube.
I STRONGLY disagree with this!

Kill the spheres first, then the GATE, and leave the Tactical Cube for last.

Why? Three reasons:

1) The Gate acts as a physical barrier, if you go BEHIND it the Tac cube can't see you or fire at you, allowing your team to kill the Gate in peace.

2) The Gate is easier to kill and doesn't put up as much as a fight as the Tac Cube, giving you more time to focus ONLY on the Tac cube.

3) If you are fighting the Tac cube while the Gate is still alive, anyone within range of the Gate can wind up being attacked by BOTH meaning you will incur more deaths and it will take LONGER to complete the mission.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19 Nice guide
01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Didn't know you could pull the borg in Infected ground without triggering the assimilation. I thought that the assimilation starts if you shoot anything as well as if you cross the line.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
01-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostamojen View Post
I STRONGLY disagree with this!

Kill the spheres first, then the GATE, and leave the Tactical Cube for last.

Why? Three reasons:

1) The Gate acts as a physical barrier, if you go BEHIND it the Tac cube can't see you or fire at you, allowing your team to kill the Gate in peace.

2) The Gate is easier to kill and doesn't put up as much as a fight as the Tac Cube, giving you more time to focus ONLY on the Tac cube.

3) If you are fighting the Tac cube while the Gate is still alive, anyone within range of the Gate can wind up being attacked by BOTH meaning you will incur more deaths and it will take LONGER to complete the mission.
Agreed -- I usually find getting the gate first makes things easier than the other way around.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 PM.