Lt. Commander
# 1 VA Sci Choice
01-29-2012, 01:52 AM
I played up to Rear Admiral at release then quit the game until the past week. Came back after the f2p conversion and have to say I'm hooked again. I dinged Vice Admiral earlier tonight, and I'm hoping someone out there can enlighten me somewhat about ship choices.

About me:
-Sci Officer
-Flew cruisers up to Rear Admiral, when I switched to a Deep Space Sci
-Like that the nebula is kind of a cross between Sci-Cruiser
-No interest in PvP -- just focused on PvE utility/dmg/survivability

I've loved the Nebula class starships ever since the days of TNG, and have been really tempted to buy the retrofitted one for end-game. However, I worry that it may gimp me for end-game due to its lower lvl requirement when compared to the intrepid retrofit.

So Is there any particularly compelling reason why I should plunk down points for the Intrepid as opposed to the D'kyr or Nebula retrofit or even just sticking with my deep space sci vessel?

Also, any input from anyone on good Boff combos for any of the end-game sci-friendly ships?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2012, 11:46 AM
The downside (at least to me) to the D'Kyr & Nebula is the "wasted" Lt Com. Engineering Slot. I use the Intrepid because of its extra science abilities...

While I have seen plenty of players to use these other vessels...I have as of yet to see a viable Nebula in an STF...

In my personal opinion I think that the odyssey will be a more viable option than the nebula if you want a science based cruiser.

Again...all just my opinion

As for boff abilities...here is my setup.

Lt. Tac: Tactical Team I, High Yield Torpedo II
Lt. Eng: Engineering Team I, EPTS II
Ens Sci: Polarize Hull 1
Lt C Sci: Sci Team 1, TSS 2, HE 3
Com Sci: Tac Beam 1, Tractor Beam 2, Tykens Rift 2, Gravity Well 3
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAlaska
The downside (at least to me) to the D'Kyr & Nebula is the "wasted" Lt Com. Engineering Slot. I use the Intrepid because of its extra science abilities...

While I have seen plenty of players to use these other vessels...I have as of yet to see a viable Nebula in an STF...
This is totally wrong .There is no such thing as a bad Science Ship. However, there is such a thing as bad Science Captains. I just flew an Elite Infected Space with 3 Nebula's, 1 Recon Sci and a Galaxy-X. The optional was completed with 2 minutes and 58 seconds to spare. Just because someone can't figure out a use for a Lt Commander Engineer slot doesn't mean that good builds do not exist for it.

I've linked a screenshot here to illustrate what a Nebula can do with the right setup. This was a pretty typical PvP match for me (Gaima Ima): http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...19-27-19-1.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster75
Just because someone can't figure out a use for a Lt Commander Engineer slot doesn't mean that good builds do not exist for it.
Out of curiosity, what would be a good sci build for the nebula retrofit in end-game PVE?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorphius
Out of curiosity, what would be a good sci build for the nebula retrofit in end-game PVE?
Which in particular? End game PVE or STF's? For PVE soloing most people find it easier to simply run with a higher weapons power. For STF's and group play I'd focus on holds and crowd control. Do whatever you can to lock your target(s) down in as many ways as possible. Power drain setups also work well on Tactical cubes and can aid your team immensely against them. Prepare multiple BOffs to switch up your game when you need to change strategies. I can't tell you what I use exactly because my build would frustrate a lot of players to try and duplicate because of all the keybinds I use. The big thing to remember about learning to play a Sci is to experiment. You really need to try everything out first and decide for yourself what is working for you the best. Don't just take someone's word for it. You'll have builds that you will make and discover. Some will be bad and some will be good. That's how you learn. In my opinion, the Science ship is the most rewarding to learn to play because there truly are so very few that ever really get it right.