Lt. Commander
# 31
02-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdSin15 View Post
It says Im DC'ed because of the 15 minute idle limit every time. I was only in the game for 5 minutes when it said that and I also wasn't idle.
The idea is that the server would think your idle because your outgoing data is not being sent or not reaching the server.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Your assertion that no other game causes this problem is false; I posted a link in an earlier message.

If it was ONLY a STO problem, then wouldn't we all be experiencing it? Or at least, a sizeable majority?

One more suggestion from another thread: try running TCP Optimizer. If your layer 3 MTU is larger than your layer 2 MTU, it can cause packet fragments under certain circumstances, and some routers may have a problem with this.

The bottom line is that it's darned-near impossible for someone to write code that disables a ROUTER. The fact that they (presumably) haven't been FLOODED with tickets on this further suggests that maybe, just maybe, it's not on their end.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-11-2012, 11:12 AM
I'll also point out what's been said before: Tech Support does not have a comprehensive list of EVERY known problem with EVERY known hardware/software configuration to say "oh, here's a step-by-step" list of what to do. Coming from someone who has work experience in the PC technical support field, sometimes our best friend is a database of problems that are known and a list of steps to take to try and work the problem out on your own because, frankly, without actually being there to view the precise specs of your PC and/or network configuration, the best that a TS person can do is take an educated guess.

First step thereof is to rule out the obvious. You'd be surprised how many problems are caused by the most mundane, overlooked things. (In some cases, so obvious that you want to go "well, duh..." after you find the issue.)

What gets a lot of people a bit offended is the fact that you have stated multiple times in your posts that "it's GOT to be STO, there is NO other explanation and I will not accept any!!" Maybe not in exactly those words, but it does carry that tone. You're also asking for a step-by-step process when, in fact, there likely not be one established for your particular issue. The absence of a flood of tickets and forum posts speaks to the fact that there isn't enough data on the issue to establish a procedure.

tl;dr: Even the best of Tech Support guys don't know everything. They can only go by what is established, and try and walk through the rest of what's going on until they do find something to which there is a solution that works. They can only work with you to the extent that you're willing to work with them.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
If it was ONLY a STO problem, then wouldn't we all be experiencing it? Or at least, a sizeable majority?
I think I understand what your saying overall, mate, but I lose your train of thought here.
There is no logic behind the idea that if one game experiences problems with a users configuration, and a separate game does not have any problem with the same configuration, that every user -regardless of computer configuration- on the first game should be experiencing the same issue.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themurgy
I think I understand what your saying overall, mate, but I lose your train of thought here.
There is no logic behind the idea that if one game experiences problems with a users configuration, and a separate game does not have any problem with the same configuration, that every user -regardless of computer configuration- on the first game should be experiencing the same issue.
But the reverse makes no sense either: that if one game experiences problems with a tiny minority of uers configurations, that it MUST be the game that is responsible.

Like I said way back, I think it's a combo issue: something in the game combined with crappy routers. Yes, if they rewrote whatever code is causing all the connections, it would solve the problem, but truthfully any router should be able to handle what the game is doing. A router that cannot is a poorly-designed piece of hardware.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Update:

So Charter came and replaced my router. The game seems to work fine now. I played for about an hour last night and was not logged out.

Of course the previous router worked fine with every other game so as of yet the problem with STO has not been addressed at all by the DEV Team who still seem to ignore everyone who has this problem. I guess it's easier to force the players to fix the problem themselves and shell out their own money.

I award STO/Perfect World NEGATIVE points for Customer Service.

I sincerely hope this issue is gone for good as I can tell you I will be EXTREMELY vocal about further connectivity issues in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-17-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm not sure what you want Cryptic to do. If they can't replicate the problem, how can they find/fix it? They're not going to go out and buy hundreds of different routers to test with.