Lt. Commander
# 11
01-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
According to the STO Wiki, the timer on the holo-emitters will reset if you zone with the emitter deactivated. So as long as you don't use your emitter for >15 contiguous minutes, you can use it indefinitely. Don't know if that is a bug or by design... but it certainly is a total waste of GPL to spend 50,000+ on a 15-minute gimmick. At least in its "bugged" state the item lasts "forever".ave to tie dilithium into as many things as possible in order to remain solvent, GPL is just the one that gets left out.
Visually, they reset. Functionally, they don't. It will say 15 minutes, only to revert to the actual time remaining as soon as you use the item again.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-29-2012, 05:42 PM
I just wished they had a timer on these things or a tab by your ship that tells you how much time is remaining. Plus 15 minutes is way to short. I think for the price you pay for them, it should be at least a few hours (minimum an hour, maximum 3 hours, especially for the more rare/expensive ones) That way they still aren't 'permanent', but players are getting more bang for their GPLs so to speak. Plus at least they need to put a visual timer that you can see on these things, so you know how much time is left until the item is consumed.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiveman5
I just wished they had a timer on these things or a tab by your ship that tells you how much time is remaining. Plus 15 minutes is way to short. I think for the price you pay for them, it should be at least a few hours (minimum an hour, maximum 3 hours, especially for the more rare/expensive ones) That way they still aren't 'permanent', but players are getting more bang for their GPLs so to speak. Plus at least they need to put a visual timer that you can see on these things, so you know how much time is left until the item is consumed.
They do, but only when they're equipped to your ship. The tooltip from the device slot and the icon in the power tray tell you how much time remains.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-29-2012, 10:08 PM
I too think honestly find the price too high for 15m, perhaps when they are depleted you could recharge them for a quarter of the original cost.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
I remember Borticus said that improving the holo ship timers wasn't gonna happen.

I believe it is sorta a CBS thing. They can't be "permanent" since they are not Federation or Klingon ships, and the CBS guy said that they had to be temporary or ultra rare to keep Federation space from being full of D'kora, Cargo and Jem'hadar ships.
I really hate CBS, must they control everything. They cancel their series, they prevent developers from being creative etc... they're being too anal. I understand they are protecting their property rights, but damn, going too far in protecting.

I wonder how much royalty is CBS getting from Cryptic/PWE? I know they are getting something, its not like they are handing their licence for free.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2012, 12:36 AM
On a different note, Gold Press Latinum should have been the currency of choice, instead of dilithium. Dilithium? Seriously now?

I'm still trying to find out what Energy Credits actually mean? LOL, give me some energy :p
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
I really hate CBS, must they control everything. They cancel their series, they prevent developers from being creative etc... they're being too anal. I understand they are protecting their property rights, but damn, going too far in protecting.

I wonder how much royalty is CBS getting from Cryptic/PWE? I know they are getting something, its not like they are handing their licence for free.
I don't really hate them, but I agree that they're being far too over-reaching in this instance.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Holo Emitters are designed as a cash sink to get extra energy credits (in the form of Latinum) out of the economy. That's why they're so expensive and don't last for long. The only problem I have with it is that GPL isn't readily available, you have to gamble for it which kind of defeats the point of a cash sink.

Personally I haven't bought one yet as I have no need for it, but I can see what they're doing with them and why.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2012, 01:34 PM
I would love to have that Ferengi ship skin on my... well... Ferengi character.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2012, 02:06 PM
GPL NEEDS to be made into a currency that can be used to purchase dilithium on the black market. We have all this GPL - at least I have lots of it - for no useful reason. You can't use it on the exchange, you can't use it at vendors (except for the useless holoemitters) and it just seems like this was such a pointless game addition.